Sonny Bill Williams to fight for New Zealand Heavyweight ***le

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
All Black Sonny Bill Williams will seek to add a boxing ***le to his Rugby World Cup winner's medal when he fights for the New Zealand heavyweight belt next year.
The former rugby league international will fight Richard Tutaki for the vacant ***le at Hamilton's Claudelands Arena on February 8.
Williams has a clause in his contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union which allows him to continue to compete in the ring. The 26-year-old has had four bouts, winning them all.
Tutaki, 33, has won 19 of his 41 bouts, losing 21 with one drawn.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/12251247/sbw-to-fight-for-heavyweight-belt/

The terrible thing is he may just win it, given the state of boxing in New Zealand. He'd get killed against David Tua and Joseph Parker should he turn professional after 2012 Olympics. I've seen Richard Tutaki fight before, and I wasn't overly impressed. Wouldn't be suprised if Sonny Bill Williams takes the ***le (not that he's a great boxer). The only positive with this would be it would open SBW up to fight David Tua (Who I acutally think would take it if Monte Barrett doesn't fight him again for his WBO Asia-Pacific and Oriental ***les, so would be after a belt and more than that, a Sonny Bill Williams v David Tua match would sell big).

SBW up for the Heavyweight ***le? Really??... After four fights unconvincing fights?.. Man, just really shows how bad NZ boxing is... On the Barrett vs Tua fight, I heard a little rumour that Barrett was on drugs and all and Tua's gettin' his ***le back or something like that...

Nope - it was put up for appeal, and possibly laughed out. Tua's got more problems than trying to get his belts back.

International Boxing needs legitimacy and so does NZ boxing. This is not the way to go about it.

They should just have a Parker vs Williams match, so that Parker can end his Boxing career then and there.

Or better yet - Messam vs Williams.

Nope - it was put up for appeal, and possibly laughed out. Tua's got more problems than trying to get his belts back.

International Boxing needs legitimacy and so does NZ boxing. This is not the way to go about it.

They should just have a Parker vs Williams match, so that Parker can end his Boxing career then and there.

Or better yet - Messam vs Williams.

Parker? Surely you mean Williams?

Tua will probably get the rematch. The thing that really annoys me about Tua, is I genuinely think he could have been regarded as a great boxer. He had so mach talent, probably the best left hook of all time in my opinion, and his record suggests that he has deserved many more shots at a ***le. But he's a victim of his own arrogance. He retires after losing a legal dispute with one of the best trainers in the world in Kevin Barry (which Barry rightfully had two years left on his contract). He then goes from owning one of the most expensive properties in Auckland to owing $3m in cash to Inland Revenue.

He gets called out by Cameron and trains extremely hard to get back in good shape, gets in good shape and destroys Cameron only to fight a couple of nobodies in which he doesn't train hard for, and he eventually draws and then loses to Barrett, a 40 year old with no extreme talent. Had he kept in touch with his manager, prior to his second loss, he would have been told that if he won he'd get a ***le shot against Vitali Klitschko. Instead he intentionally stays out of touch with Kushner and once losing the fight, ends his contract with him. After not paying his new trainer again, they end their contract. This is also not to mention Inga Tuigamala's poor promotional work which had Demitrice King not paid weeks after the fight. He just comes off as this selfish and irresponsible fool.

It's so frustrating. You have a guy who essentially is the only boxer New Zealand and Samoa have ever really cared about, and yet there is just a poor attitude and work ethic which has stopped him becoming what Manny Pacquiao is the Philippines, to New Zealanders.

Boxing in New Zealand just is not healthy. Joseph Parker is probably the next best thing to come along since Tua in terms of boxing. Maybe he will become a good professional.

Last edited:
Sorry I should've said - so that Parker can end Williams career then and there.

Tua's a TLDR in New Zealand boxing history. He's pretty much destroyed all his bridges along the way. He could've put it down to his management issues but all of that comes down to decision making. His and His alone.

He'll always be to me the People's Champ but like I told my mate when we were at the Barrett fight - it's over. The Glassy eyed looks of disbelief on everyone's faces said it all.

Like you said it's frustrating - the opportunities were there, he just missed them. If he applied even a 5th of the determination that Mike Tyson had when starting out we would be looking at more than 1 world ***le fight.

Ah well - I'll always have Fight Nights create a player mode. I'll do for NZ & Samoa.

If the NZ heavyweight champion has lost 21 fights, NZ boxing must be shite. Compare that record to anyone in the Ring's top ten...

If the NZ heavyweight champion has lost 21 fights, NZ boxing must be shite. Compare that record to anyone in the Ring's top ten...

Well obviously. But David Tua's record is 52(43)-4-2 which is very good.

If Tua was so good how come he's not really fought anyone of note latley ... he's not been a punching bag for the Klitschko's yet?

If Tua was so good how come he's not really fought anyone of note latley ... he's not been a punching bag for the Klitschko's yet?

...Several reasons. The first is that he retired. Twice. Since he left Barry he's been in and out of court and hasn't had a good trainer since. More than that, as I highlited in my first posts, he's pretty much burned all bridges to get a ***le shot, and his lack of commitment cost him.

It's not like he hasn't fought big names. He absolutely killed John Ruiz (2 time Heavyweight Champion) in the first round with a 20 second KO, beat Hasim Rahman (2 time Heavyweight Champion) in his prime, destroyed Michael Moorer (Three time heavyweight champion) 30 seconds into the fight, beat Fres Oquendo, beat Oleg Maskaev (WBC Heavyweight Champion). By right he should have been given many more oppertunities than he has got (1 fight against Lewis in his prime...Vitali Klitscho lost to Lewis and yet he got more shots). He needed to fight a big name after the Barrett fight (which would have been one of the Klitschko's) but he lost after 6 rounds of nothing, to then destroy Barrett in the final round but lost by decision.

I don't think he'd be a punching bag for the Klitschko's but I don't think his reach would allow him to win. Still, he has certainly earned a shot. It's still a possibility, but he's turning 39 soon and he doesn't seem to have the ambition to start getting fights. He needed to hit back quickly after the Barrett loss with another fight, instead he waits to organise a fight 6-7 months later. What an idiot. He's not getting younger and if he ever wants to pay off his bills he needs more than Tua v Barrett III, especially considering his last two fights were a draw and a loss.

Anyway, you never know. If he beats Barrett and then faces someone like Chris Arreola (which I think he could) or Eddie Chambers then he's in with a shot for a ***le fight, but what he is currently doing by waiting, won't help his cause at all.

After the way Tutaki was acting in his press conference I actually want SBW to win this one, and its only one of the NZ ***les which was vacant, Chauncy Welliver has been the real NZ champion and holds his ***le and he has a good record 51-5-5, but he hasn't fought anyone good.

I don't want to see Tua waste his time fighting Barrett again, but a fight with Arreola would be a dream match, Eddie Chambers might be difficult for Tua because Chambers is tricky, he'll be like Chris Byrd and move away from Tua the whole fight

After the way Tutaki was acting in his press conference I actually want SBW to win this one, and its only one of the NZ ***les which was vacant, Chauncy Welliver has been the real NZ champion and holds his ***le and he has a good record 51-5-5, but he hasn't fought anyone good.

I don't want to see Tua waste his time fighting Barrett again, but a fight with Arreola would be a dream match, Eddie Chambers might be difficult for Tua because Chambers is tricky, he'll be like Chris Byrd and move away from Tua the whole fight

That's true. Chauncy Welliver's camp have continually tried to get Tua into a match, which i think would be a great fight. Welliver has a pretty good chin, and is a very nice guy in person. He also came to one of his fights so unprepared it was amazing, which he had 10 days prep after what seemed like the most amazing binge of all time.

Welliver would kill any other New Zealand heavyweight other than Daivd Tua and maybe Joseph Parker. He was ranked 10th by WBO and 8th by WBC, which had Tua beat him, he'd have a case for a World ***le shot. As it happened Tua made the wrong career move...Again.

Agree with your call on Tutaki. What an absolute gobsh*te. He was very arrogant and very unprofessional, and it's hardly like his boxing record is anything to be too proud of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Probably the best Tua compilation.

I'm honestly over Tua. TBH he does not deserve another ***le shot at all. Barrett is a journeyman, at best. He was destroyed by Haye and Solis (Welliver even did better against Solis than Barrett) and his overall record is poor. It was pathetic that Tua lost to him. You can't just turn up out of shape, give away the first six rounds and then put on a late flurry. Honestly, there does not look to be much credibility to those drug reports about Barrett. Tua was good in his day but he has had his chances and quite frankly does not deserve any more. He'll be lucky if Barrett chooses to fight him again. Helenius, Fury, Chisora, Povetkin etc are all far more deserving of ***le fights.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, youre always a day awwwwwwaaaay

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, youre always a day awwwwwwaaaay

Wow, Tillman lost his cool. Looking forward to this for several reasons. No matter the result I'll be happy. SBW will either get his ass handed to him, which other than being good for entertainment value, may put an end to his boxing ambitions. Alternatively he could win and persue a boxing career earlier, which again is a win/wn situation.

Just saw that SBW beat Tillman with a first round TKO (saw on Stuff.co.nz)

After the two boxers sounded each other out early, Williams connected with a good left hook and then finished Tillman off with a flurry of blows that had his opponent with his head hanging out of the ring.

Last edited:

Latest posts