• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams to fight for New Zealand Heavyweight ***le

its not that I don't watch boxing Nick, it's just that, no matter what SBW does, people still doubt him... He's never given any credit whatsoever, yet every time hes been due to have a fight, people come out saying hes going to get knocked out/lose... And then when he wins by knockout, they change their tone and say, it was set-up/he paid him to take a fall/the guy was a nobody...

I'm just not one to doubt SBW anymore..
And Cameron couldn't even touch Betham, Betham actually got under his skin and Cameron couldn't handle it.

Listen. I've never thought SBW would lose. That last fight was always going to be his hardest fight, but Tillman still was no where near world class.
Gary Gurr - 1-1-0 (second professional fight) 50%
Ryan Hogan - 0-1-0 (First professional fight, bouncer and extremely overweight) 0%
Scott Lewis - 4-5-0 44%
Alipate Liava'a - 4-10-0 (41 years old on sickness benefit) 28%
Clarence Tillman - 11-9-2 50%

As you can see, he's never had to fight anyone with a winning percentage other than Gary Gurr who had one previous fight. Of those boxers, they're all bums. Tillman was by far the best boxer he's had to fight, and yet on the night he looked pathetic, arms swinging wildly with poor defense.

Against
Shane Cameron - 25-2-0 (92%)
Monte Barrett 35-9-2 (76%)

Meh. The guys 43 years old and hasn't been boxing at a high level in a while. He's lost to a whos who of opponents though. Mike Tyson, Michael Grant, Evander Holyfield, Wladimir Klitschko, Michael Moorer and Lennox Lewis. He drew with Shannon Briggs which is good. I think he'd be able to put SBW away, but to be honest he comes off as a bit of a bully. The reason Chauncy Welliver isn't fighting SBW is he knows he's not in his league and doesn't want to stop his progress. Why is Botha even interested? Money and a ***le he can't even hold?

Still, if he bet Botha you'd have to say SBW is genuinely good. It won't happen though, SBW isn't going to fight a real contender, and if he did it would have to be either Barrett or Cameron. I'd like to see Botha v Tua. Would help to kick off Tua's career again with a K.O.

Meh. The guys 43 years old and hasn't been boxing at a high level in a while. He's lost to a whos who of opponents though. Mike Tyson, Michael Grant, Evander Holyfield, Wladimir Klitschko, Michael Moorer and Lennox Lewis. He drew with Shannon Briggs which is good. I think he'd be able to put SBW away, but to be honest he comes off as a bit of a bully. The reason Chauncy Welliver isn't fighting SBW is he knows he's not in his league and doesn't want to stop his progress. Why is Botha even interested? Money and a ***le he can't even hold?

Still, if he bet Botha you'd have to say SBW is genuinely good. It won't happen though, SBW isn't going to fight a real contender, and if he did it would have to be either Barrett or Cameron. I'd like to see Botha v Tua. Would help to kick off Tua's career again with a K.O.

What's with all this talk on Chauncy Welliver? I saw in an earlier post someone put him in the same league as the Klitchko's, which is down right ridiculous, the oke has not fought anyone. And i would not be to sure of a KO for Tua if he were to fight him, after all Botha has done something Tua has not, been a World Champion.

What's with all this talk on Chauncy Welliver? I saw in an earlier post someone put him in the same league as the Klitchko's, which is down right ridiculous, the oke has not fought anyone. And i would not be to sure of a KO for Tua if he were to fight him, after all Botha has done something Tua has not, been a World Champion.

The talk of Chauncy Welliver is because Sonny Bill Williams holds a New Zealand championship and Chauncy Welliver holds the other one. He's also ranked in the top 10 by the WBO and WBC. I don't think anyone thinks he's better than the Klitschko's, he's just a contender. I put him in a post with several other boxers as an example of good professionals. He hasn't beaten anyone yet because he hasn't got a big fight. He called out Chris Arreola but has been unlucky as most don't want to fight him as he's not a big name.

My money would certainly be on David Tau v Botha. Ok, Botha won the NABA & WBF ***les. They're relatively small ***les. He has been given 11 ***le fights to David Tua's 1, and he has only managed to win the smaller ***les. He's never beaten a name opponent. He lost to Michael Moorer by TKO in the 12th round. Tua took Moorer out in the first round. He's also four years older than Tua. He was a good boxer once, more than capable of beating SBW, but I don't think he's a great boxer anymore. Losing to a 48 year old Evander Holyfield by TKO makes me think he can't have much of a chin anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also think Botha 'die wit buffel' is a bit beyond it at this stage. That said I wouldn't like to face him so can't really say anything LOL.

I don't rate Welliver that highly. It's probably because he is never fought anyone of note. I mean sure he's a decent contender but it seems to me that he talks a lot of talk about getting big fights but it never seems to happen.

I don't rate Welliver that highly. It's probably because he is never fought anyone of note. I mean sure he's a decent contender but it seems to me that he talks a lot of talk about getting big fights but it never seems to happen.

True, but he's easily the most active heavyweight in the world at the moment. He clearly wants bigger fights, just can't seem to get them. I think Walliver is a guy with a lot of heart, but doesn't have the speed or K.O power to be the best. Regardless, he deserves a shot at a big name opponent.

The Sonny Bill Williams knockers are in for a field day based on their own questionable arguments.

News of the next big boxing promotion coming to New Zealand should have them salivating.

Williams won't be part of it but three ex-league players who are dabbling in boxing will.

It's the Heavyweight Explosion, with the lead act being American Monte Barrett against Kiwi Shane Cameron, and the undercard to feature "leading heavyweight talent" from either side of the Tasman.

But the questionable state of the professional heavyweight talent in this neck of the woods is exposed when the promoters raise the names of Solomon Haumono, John Hopoate and Monty Betham as contenders for the early fights.

Doesn't that have an SBW feel to it? These guys were decent league players but they have hardly shaken the boxing world with their time in the ring.

Haumono has the best record, beating a bunch of no-names in a 20-fight record that features 18 wins, 16 by knockout.

Betham quickly found out the reality of the rigours of boxing, curtailing his career after five fights, despite winning them all. He was dragged out of retirement for the charity Fight For Life promotion and now, apparently, might have renewed interest.

"Stink Finger" Hopoate has plugged away for 17 fights to help keep the family fed, losing five of them including being knocked out three times.

Yet none of them have received the constant knocking that has encased Williams' attempts to be a boxer while still playing rugby. They have escaped the microscope that has been put on Williams' boxing attempts. That hardly seems fair.

If boxing and footy fans are so upset about Williams' efforts in the ring, surely the same attitude should apply to this other trio of converts.

I just don't get the relentless attacks on Williams. Take him for what he is â€" a good league and rugby player who is having a crack with the boxing gloves on. He's a novice and he readily admits it.

So why knock him for trying? There looks to have been enough improvement between his last two fights to suggest he's on the right track. I'd go as far as to suggest that with persistence and concentration on boxing, he could go a lot further than Haumono, Hopoate and Betham in the fight game. It will be interesting to see if the critics â€" both public and in the media â€" who have been deriding Williams' boxing efforts do similar to the league players being lined up to feature on a fight night that has already been promoted as an answer to the "under-funded, over-hyped shows that have left Kiwi punters dismally disappointed with the fare on offer".

Ad Feedback That blatant attack on the SBW promotions leaves the men behind this next venture with a lot of PR work to do to justify any hype around the likes of Hopoate.

SOURCE: stuff.co.nz

But the questionable state of the professional heavyweight talent in this neck of the woods is exposed when the promoters raise the names of Solomon Haumono, John Hopoate and Monty Betham as contenders for the early fights.

Doesn't that have an SBW feel to it? These guys were decent league players but they have hardly shaken the boxing world with their time in the ring.

Haumono has the best record, beating a bunch of no-names in a 20-fight record that features 18 wins, 16 by knockout.

Betham quickly found out the reality of the rigours of boxing, curtailing his career after five fights, despite winning them all. He was dragged out of retirement for the charity Fight For Life promotion and now, apparently, might have renewed interest.

"Stink Finger" Hopoate has plugged away for 17 fights to help keep the family fed, losing five of them including being knocked out three times.

Yet none of them have received the constant knocking that has encased Williams' attempts to be a boxer while still playing rugby. They have escaped the microscope that has been put on Williams' boxing attempts. That hardly seems fair.

Good point raised about Haumono, Hopoate and Betham, and as to why it seems they didnt get much negative feedback for their boxing careers. Hopoate got some criticisim for not displaying much defence and often wearing too many punches, which led to him being eventually knocked out. Haumono and Betham both have boxed before so there was always going to be a public interest when they took to the ring. I like Haumonos boxing by the way, hes my favourite of the three, just a pity about his jaw.

All and all I dont think these guys have been doubted as much as Sonny does for his boxing. I too have big doubts about Sonnys boxing ability but at the same time I hope he wins.

Sam, I'm the same. I don't think Sonny is a top notch boxer at all, But he is a great athlete and I believe if he applies himself enough he may become one. The only thing that gets me is that, no matter how humble he carries himself or just by doing what he can in the sporting world, for some unknown reason people have to come down on him just for doing what he believes in himself to do and that sucks.

One thing I'll mention about those three boxers. No ones ever paid $39.95 for one of their fights (except Betham's Fight for Life), and no one has gone for the NZ heavyweight ***le against hand picked opponents. Betham fought Shane Cameron knowing he'd probably lose or get knocked out, SBW fought Ryan Hogan. Had SBW done boxing without the hype that the Mundines and Khodar Nessar put on him and without the expensive PPV's, he wouldn't get criticized. As it is, Nessar said that in a years time SBW will be trying to contend for the heavyweight ***le of the world, and Mundine keeps comparing him to Ali...

It doesn't matter what he says, it's what he does. You can't hand pick opponents for five fights, go for a New Zealand Heavyweight Championship, charge for PPV's and expect to be taken seriously as a boxer. Also despite Betham's age, he quit Rugby League to do boxing. That's dedication. If SBW quit rugby today and wanted to take boxing seriously, best of luck to him.

...ffs.
Sonny Bill Williams is on the radar of boxing's most recognizable promoter, with a US-based scout for the legendary Don King confirming he wants the All Blacks superstar on his books.
Despite having just five professional fights to his name, it seems Williams' recent New Zealand heavyweight ***le-winning effort has captured the attention of international boxing's who's who.
King, who has promoted the likes of Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes and was the mastermind behind both the Rumble in the Jungle and Thrilla in Manila, heads the list. It's also understood leading British promoter and former manager of Lennonx Lewis, Frank Maloney, has inquired about promoting a Williams fight.
The Sunday Star-Times has obtained an email from Adrian Salazar, a scout for Don King Productions, which was recently sent to New Zealand boxing officials, declaring "we see potential and would like to contact him to offer a promotional contract with Don King Productions where he can have a great boxing career and become heavyweight champion of the world".
Last night, Salazar confirmed from the United States his interest in the 26-year-old Williams was legitimate.
"The best contact in the heavyweight industry is Don King and we can offer him a contract to see if he wants to fight," he said.
"We could get him fights all over the world.
"Right now, from my point of view, this guy has the huge potential to be the champion of the world just because there's nobody else with his condition."
Salazar was unaware of the existence of Williams' manager Khoder Nasser but said he would attempt to contact him this week to discuss boxing opportunities in the US.
While Williams is far from the finished product, the scout said that he had the potential to shake up the entire heavyweight division and challenge the seemingly undefeatable Klitschko brothers (Vitali and Wladimir) for their respective world ***les, earning "millions" in the process.
"The top heavyweights at the moment are the Klitschko brothers but they are older," Salazar said.
"Nobody else has any potential to fight against those guys. There's nobody who is in shape like Sonny Bill Williams – you hear me?
"Everybody else is either out of shape, too short or they are doing the wrong things with their life.
"I see Sonny Bill Williams is just starting his career. I mean, five fights is almost nothing yet but he's doing good.
"He's just started his career but if he wants to pursue it further, Don King would be the best choice going forward."
Promoter King is still in the dark about Williams but Salazar said he was the exact type of fighter the electric-haired promoter would want on his books.
"I am trying to get in touch with Sonny Bill Williams first before I present him to Don King," he said.
"I already know that he is going to like him. I know the type of fighter he likes and just by being a heavyweight, he will like Sonny Bill Williams.
"Then when I tell him what he does and how he's in shape and how he's already a champion in New Zealand, he will love him.
"I have no doubt he will say to me – `bring him over here'."
Nasser last night said he was yet to hear from Salazar but admitted the interest from the United States was hardly a suprise given Williams' recent knockout of Clarence Tillman.
"It's the oldest term in boxing but Sonny is a rough diamond," Nasser said.
"The consensus is growing amongst boxing circles that he definitely has the potential to go all the way.
"This is nothing new; people said that from his very first fight.
"People are critical of Sonny because they look at him as the boxer he is right now. But people in the business look at him and think about what he could be like in four years.
"These people have a God-given gift which is a bit of foresight."
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/13015420/boxing-legend-don-king-after-sonny-bill-williams/

<!-- aunz freetext -->

LOL do you reckon Mundine is starting to get ****** off? He can actually win world ***les and has never got a call from people that big.

LOL do you reckon Mundine is starting to get ****** off? He can actually win world ***les and has never got a call from people that big.

Mundine has had his shot. A couple of times.

The Heavy Weight division is such a tragedy now, someone is looking for spark it up using whatever/whoever they can. On the face of it, it sorta makes sense.

SBW - Super Athletic, Humble, Talented in most sports he plays, He's now a NZ Champion, Eye Candy and more importantly - he's already well known (at least in a small way) in both Hemispheres. Don King could market him anyway he wants.

It's just whether or not Khoder Nasser is willing to let SBW go down that route.

Who knows? Maybe he'll surprise the doubters (myself included) and take his boxing too the next level.

I'm still picking Joseph Parker to go further.