• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa director of rugby Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct hearing

They tried the 'captains challenge' thing in the Rainbow Cup. It was an absolute disaster! It may work it it were given time to settle (after all many new law variations, or directives are a mess for a while until players/coaches/refs get used to them), but I'm not sure challenges like in Tennis work in a sport where there's potentially tiny law violations at every ruck, and there's room for interpretation in many of the laws.

They tried the 'captains challenge' thing in the Rainbow Cup. It was an absolute disaster! It may work it it were given time to settle (after all many new law variations, or directives are a mess for a while until players/coaches/refs get used to them), but I'm not sure challenges like in Tennis work in a sport where there's potentially tiny law violations at every ruck, and there's room for interpretation in many of the laws.
Were they allowed to just challenge anything with no limits or criteria?

With regards to consistency, how often do the cadre of international-level referees actually meet with WR to discuss the discrepancies in decision-making on the field? Mistakes in officiating can and will happen but, in my opinion, we should never be in a position where we can say "Ref X is a stickler for offence Y".

At this point, the Laws seem to be not unlike British Constitutional Law, inasmuch as they are augmented by convention (crooked feeds, No. 9 with hands in the ruck etc). It's not pure, but it is what we have. As long as the refs keep the same conventions, there should be less moaning (although I doubt it in practice).

With regards to consistency, how often do the cadre of international-level referees actually meet with WR to discuss the discrepancies in decision-making on the field? Mistakes in officiating can and will happen but, in my opinion, we should never be in a position where we can say "Ref X is a stickler for offence Y".

At this point, the Laws seem to be not unlike British Constitutional Law, inasmuch as they are augmented by convention (crooked feeds, No. 9 with hands in the ruck etc). It's not pure, but it is what we have. As long as the refs keep the same conventions, there should be less moaning (although I doubt it in practice).
Don't the refs collaborate and assess their performances after every match?

I think I said earlier this thread that most of X ref is sticker for Y comes from the fact they've been trained by different countries with different people and different sensibilities. That natural variation is far more pronounced at international level. For example if I watch an English premiership game the consistency is quite high and you know what to expect because most the ref have been trained in the exact same way. Stamping out that variation at international level is incredibly difficult.

What's interesting is how Gatland got off without punishment. His comments about a South African TMO started this nonsense.

In American sports, any commentary on the officials is fined. And not $20,000 like SARU got, but 6-figure checks required. Why rugby tolerates whinging through the press and other methods is a farce.
To be fair, 20000 is prob a similar proportion of rassies income as the 6 figure fine is of an American sports coaches income. NFL players make over 30 million on average. That's like 30 time the highest paid rugby player or 50 times the average tier one test player.

Were they allowed to just challenge anything with no limits or criteria?

There was limits, just struggling to remember exactly what they were now. Think it was foul play + anything in a run up to a try. Kinda like the TMO limitations.

They had to point to a specific incident but it could be any infringement, knock on, foul play, foot in touch etc.
It really slowed the game down as teams were just using it for the sake of it in the hope the try got overturn. Most of the time the TMO was wasting his time looking at a nothing decision.

There was no limit on the number of uses? I don't know enough about it but I would have thought putting enough limits on it would go a long way to limiting potential abuse and slowing the game.

There was no limit on the number of uses? I don't know enough about it but I would have thought putting enough limits on it would go a long way to limiting potential abuse and slowing the game.
I think it was only once or twice they were allowed to use it and it wasn't like in Cricket either, a correctly overturned decision did not give you your review back.

Don't the refs collaborate and assess their performances after every match?

I think I said earlier this thread that most of X ref is sticker for Y comes from the fact they've been trained by different countries with different people and different sensibilities. That natural variation is far more pronounced at international level. For example if I watch an English premiership game the consistency is quite high and you know what to expect because most the ref have been trained in the exact same way. Stamping out that variation at international level is incredibly difficult.
Indeed, you did make reference to this. I guess the only other solution is to make prospective referees renounce ***les and possessions, take a vow of celibacy, and live as acolytes at the (as of yet unconstructed) International Refereeing Monastery. All shalt roll away from the cafeteria line in good time lest they be flogged.

To be fair, 20000 is prob a similar proportion of rassies income as the 6 figure fine is of an American sports coaches income. NFL players make over 30 million on average. That's like 30 time the highest paid rugby player or 50 times the average tier one test player.
Average NFL salary is around $1.1
Million per year and the average career is around 3.4 years.

Your average NFL player - after taxes - is lucky to walk away with about $2-$4 million.

Your average NFL player - after taxes - is lucky to walk away with about $2-$4 million.
Average top tier professional rugby player salary is around £110k (Salary cap £5M, squad sizes around 45, except Sale).
Longer career though

But the pound to dollar is what, 9 to 1? 10 to 1?
holy **** dude log off. I know you proudly display you're from a flyover state but to display that level of ignorance about he relative ratio of GBP to USD is something I can't comprehend.

Edit: Seriously, have you never accidentally turned on Fox Business or CNBC for 3 seconds?

Lol, this is a bit ridiculous SA rugby mags attention-seeking columnist calling for the sacking of Bill Beaumont and for South Africa to break away from world rugby. Are they crazy? Springboks playing in a rebel league!

At least the off-field events make the rugby spicier for the weekend, adds an interesting dimension and gets people to watch the game, either out of feelings of anger, revenge or just a spectacle with entertainment value. The actual rugby game on Saturday stays the main event. Everyone stops talking after the game.

Also, very good mana to build the rivalry.

I see there is a slight form of passive protest planned at Twickenham by some on social media. People are being called to wear an a4 paper cutout picture of Rassie in the stands at Twickenham in protest at World Rugby. It will be interesting if this gains traction.

Full disclaimer: Mark Keohane the guy on the right is the equivalent of other **** stirring click driven journalists around the world , probably in line with Rugby Onslaught and Wales Online.

holy **** dude log off. I know you proudly display you're from a flyover state but to display that level of ignorance about he relative ratio of GBP to USD is something I can't comprehend.

Edit: Seriously, have you never accidentally turned on Fox Business or CNBC for 3 seconds?
Pretty sure it was a joke?

Oh. I was just going off what an American friend of mine said. Jeez ive told lots of people that 'fact'.

Also just made up the numbers for what tier one rugby players get on average, didnt feel like I needed to be that accurate to make the point. More pertinent now I guess.

Latest posts