• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

I like the fact that the non-rant nature of Rassie's delivery and the fact that he's an affable guy means that WR are going to look like utter coonts if they come down hard on him or hit him with anything.

Reviews are complicated for a sport like Rugby every breakdown has could have potentially interpreted foul play. This leads to refs letting stuff go if they don't believe a team gained a material advantage from this offence. At which point what kind of offence do you offer reviews for? Trys are already reviewed by the TMO for anything obvious, as is potential dangerous play. I suppose you can force them to review all trys and call on dangerous play but as we saw with Watson on Saturday that doesn't stop them making absolute howlers. If you allow them to review every breakdown and offside line. May I suggest American Football (good sport nothing against it) might be further up your alley than Rugby.

I am certainly not suggesting reviewing every play. The implementations I mentioned have been broadly applied at Varsity Cup and Currie Cup and I can assure you the captains don't abuse their referal for fear of losing it for when it might actually matter. It does not resemble anything like the NFL and though the referals are sometimes tedious to sit through there aren't a ton of them and they generally result in howlers being irradicated at least.

Counterintuitively what we see is also less TMO reviews of tries as the refs feel confidant that if it wasn't a try the opposing captain would refer.

What i am getting at is that it is not a "what if' but a real world application that has been broadly tested at a high level and it is better. Not perfect but better.

I think Rassie has done this for the greater good with the purest of intentions. After all there's no way any of his teams would ever do anything that would help them try to influence a ref during a game.

It took you a while. But im glad you finally understand.

Hey at least Rassie didn't refer to us as 'Scummy Irish' he's ok in my books!!!

In all honesty, it's a bit of a sideshow to be honest. I have consistently had issues with the standard of reffing in rugby at all levels for a while, but I don't exactly think this sort of stuff will change anything or encourage potential referees to give an already pretty thankless job a shot. I can understand and appreciate why Rassie did it; the real reason I'd imagine being to take the pressure off his players, but it will probably really put World Rugby's backs up, especially when you single out an individual referees performance, which is a bit too much imo. I think he's a good guy, but he's kind of taken what Gatland (shrewdly) did with the TMO and taken it to the 9th degree, which I don't think will translate to more favorable calls for the Boks.

I do find the Jaco Johan stuff really funny though.

Edit:

Storms a brewing

he's kind of taken what Gatland (shrewdly) did with the TMO
Yeah I'm not going to pretend what Gatland did last week wasn't gamesmanship but he very carefully did it as in reality we know a non-neutral ref shouldn't of been appointed for that very reason.

Erasmus goes beyond that he basically said straight up Berry was straight incapable of reffing a fair match which is horlicks.

Getting a bit embarrassing now, isn't it?

Almost makes me want the Lions to win, just to see his meltdown after
It amazes me how all the NH posters are finding this embarrassing.

It's not embarrassing if you are not linked to the entity/party.

If you ride into the Monaco yacht club with your Mclaren p1 and another person you don't know rolls in with a Volkswagen GTI, then you can't feel embarrassed for that person. You can maybe judge or discriminate but the embarrassment could only possibly be on the side of the concerned party.

It's like Springbok fans saying they feel embarrassed because AWJ was picked as captain, because they would have expected something different.

I think he is a goddam genius and I should have spotted his erudition ages ago.

1627637906878.png

It amazes me how all the NH posters are finding this embarrassing.

It's not embarrassing if you are not linked to the entity/party.

If you ride into the Monaco yacht club with your Mclaren p1 and another person you don't know rolls in with a Volkswagen GTI, then you can't feel embarrassed for that person. You can maybe judge or discriminate but the embarrassment could only possibly be on the side of the concerned party.

It's like Springbok fans saying they feel embarrassed because AWJ was picked as captain, because they would have expected something different.
Embarrassing as a whole rugby community / sport

Prediction time. My heart says Bokke by plenty. My head.. we are a good chance still I believe. Bokke by 5 to set up an epic decider.

Agree this whole Rassie thing is a sideshow. Suspect it will work and Boks win tomorrow controversially, giving us something else to "discuss" and take it to a decider next week.

Latest posts