• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

Do you think Kolisi was selected more for his on field leadership as opposed to being the form option for his position? Given he is recently recovering from COVID and the strength the Boks have in the back row I think dropping him might make sense. I thought Smith did ok actually.

The only difference that makes sense is Harris at 13. The others dropped did nothing wrong have lost out to reputation unfortunately.

I don't think it's anything to do with how Watson done but to give Faletau a chance. Price is unlucky but I could see perhaps they want him to have more impact off the bench.
Harris has played well enough so far to get a shot.

What were the flags and roof things?
Lol Olly google Rassie roof lights
Ah, yes, it was lights not flags. Anyhow, the man is a brilliant motivator and has his moments of genius but some of his ideas can only be described as being.. antics,

@TRF_Olyy he used coded light signals to communicate plays to his team while at the Cheetahs. If I recall correctly there were also allegations of spying on oppo teams but that I can't recall whether that was in half time locker rooms or during practices. My point is we knew what we were getting when SARU appointed Rassie. Equal parts genius and madness. Payed off 2019 so I won't complain overly much.

Fair enough team. Price did well but was doing his best Murray impression, he'll make a great sub too. Mako starting is a risk but probably one that's probably worth taking. Harris for Daly was inevitable and the right move.

Dropping Watson is a bit harsh but he gave Gatland an excuse to pick Faletau, what do you expect. Liam Williams seemed shoehorned in because Gats likes him last week, maybe the same with Faletau this time but that's my only real complaint.

Slagged Lawes off at half time last week only for him to make me look like an idiot so we'll trust his pack.

Slagged Lawes off at half time last week only for him to make me look like an idiot so we'll trust his pack.
TBF the only player in the pack in the first half to come out with any credit was Itoje all of it was justified at that stage of the match.

Oh, man. I could really do with a win this week. Still reeling from how the Blitzbokke bowed out to a 6 man Argentina in the Olympics today.I thought that was a good chance for a medal of some sorts. But well done, Argentina.

Don't get Murray stating, Harris for Daly makes some sense.

Watson dropped for basically nothing.

Mako as noted is being rewarded for simply not ******** the bed he wasn't that good.

Yup usual Gatland changes bringing in guys with no real reason why guys got dropped.
Daly got knocked backwards loads in the tackle, and missed his once chance with the boot. Not sure why you would keep him there. Most people thought he would get replaced. Price was ineffective also. Watson should have been binned and maybe he just doesn't want a liability. Don't always need to hop on the anti Gats bandwagon because it's coo

South Africa (v British & Irish Lions)

15: Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz, 63 caps)

14: Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, 15 caps)

13: Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks, 16 caps)

12: Damian de Allende (Munster, 48 caps)

11: Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks, 15 caps)

10: Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier, 50 caps)

9: Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, 31 caps)

1: Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers, 49 caps)

2: Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers, 38 caps)

3: Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers, 40 caps)

4: Eben Etzebeth (Toulon, 87 caps)

5: Franco Mostert (Honda Heat, 41 caps)

6: Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks, 52 caps) – captain

7: Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers, 57 caps)

8: Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)

Replacements:

16: Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears, 35 caps)

17: Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls, 44 caps)

18: Vincent Koch (Saracens, 21 caps)

19: Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks, 46 caps)

20: Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls, 3 caps)

21: Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo, 8 caps)

22: Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers, 12 caps)

23: Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers, 8 caps)

Now we can take on the starting scrums properly, I HOPE........

PS: They will have to put Itoje on his backside from the start....he was brilliant on Saturday.

My opinion of all of the pundits has fallen as 90% of them simply push on nationalistic grounds. They alll just sound like rabid supporters without a pint. I thought Warburton was a bit above it but he has fallen to the level of BOD and ROG (almost) Which is pretty bad. I think that the Lions as an ongoing concept has every chance of failing if nationalism sets in as it did in Scotland last time and Wales and Ireland this time fuelled by pundits trying to get speaking engagements.
What's wrong with BOD and ROG?

My take on the whole waterboy and Twitter thing. It's Rassie. It is his sense of humor and where he gets his kicks from. I don't for a second think it actually adds any benefit. If anything it comes across as a little contrived and juvenile but that comes with the Rassie terrii. Remember the whole flags and roof thing. And his digs in the media regarding new tackle techniques after Farrell got away with a clear shoulder charge. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone I don't think it should be disallowed even if I find it irritating myself.
Some New Zealand clubs have been using their assistant coaches as waterboys for years and if you talk to some of the Kiwi players you will notice most of them say the assistant do most of the training.

I am glad Malherbe is starting he does not offer much as a impact player. Wiese I am not so sure about, better than Kwagga but is he really the best No8 we can currently field ? I doubt that.

I don't really understand making many changes, considering how little continuity players have had and chances for partnerships to develop.

If you thought that Sutherland was your best bet for a stable scrum last week, I don't see how it can have changed in the last week just on the basis of that one game? We know Mako has his days, so I'm personally a little worried.

On Watson - only thing was a few times when I thought oh lord you look like a child compared to the South Africans and he seemed to lose a few collisions where he should fare better. So maybe it's a size thing. Whilst I agree he shouldn't be penalised by Gatland for the tackle he got away with, it did feel like one with zero mitigation to it and one he should have been able to control a bit better.

Daly out is fine with me, looking foreward to seeing what these chunky Irish boys can do!

I'm worried that Beirne is covering 4 positions. Any early or late injury between 4-7 would put pressure on the Lions pack.

On Watson - only thing was a few times when I thought oh lord you look like a child compared to the South Africans and he seemed to lose a few collisions where he should fare better. So maybe it's a size thing.
There have been a number of times this tour where the commentary have praised his ability to bounce/spin out of tackles, while ignoring him losing metres every time he did

Kind of like when May used to crab across field - I'm sure the GPS metres-ran stats were great, but...not really in the right direction

Latest posts