• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

Happy with that SA team. I prefer Kitshoff and Malherbe starting. Not that Nche and Nyakane did anything wrong, quite the opposite. Its just that those two are the more dynamic props and offer more off the bench than Malherbe in particular... it just looks better on paper you know and it is more in line with how those players have been used to date (and where we actually got results).

Smith dropping for Wiese I like.

6/2 split I like as it'd mean that Kolisi can come off no worries. H Jantjies and Willemse the correct call on the bench for me as well. In and of themselves they cover the entire backline.

Actually, Everything I was hoping for in that announcement apart from the one where I was wondering if it might not be a bad shout to call on Fassi. Happy I am. Now if we could only get the actual result..
Nche injured, if nyakane is loosehead cover (am i reading that right?), thets a travesty. He needs to be at tighthead. Im surprised mahlerbe is in the 23 at all after making no impact last week.
I thought Daly is a little hard done by. He was given some poor passes with nowhere to go. He was basically used as a crash ball at times which is crazy considering how small he is.

He'll be fine on the bench coming on later at wing or 13.
Yeah, he didnt play well, but to suggest that his lack of success proves he is crap because he was outside biggar and henshaw is a very poor argument guven that the lions pretty much didnt attack (therefore it doesnt matter who was inside him) and when they did bith biggar and henshaw, the supposed gods, were not that great.

guven the style the luons are playing it seems a bit odd daly was there to begin with thoigh.

I think Lions win the series 3-0. And people still say it was a bad Boks team, they got battered by covid, no practice etc etc and say Gatland is shite.

I don't think it is a bad Bok team by any stretch. But the timing and circumstances for our boys aren't close to ideal no one can argue that not that I see anyone (apart form NH posters/pundits mind you) using that as an excuse. No, if anything we are generally still quiet bullish of our chances and if anything feel rather hard done by the refereeing setup (though TBF I don't remember last that the SA public at large were of the opinion that a ref had a good day out).

BUT, I expect your comment was aimed at non-Wales B&I supporters so there is that and I can well imagine that being the case.

I think Lions win the series 3-0. And people still say it was a bad Boks team, they got battered by covid, no practice etc etc and say Gatland is shite.
Bok fans are currently saying we are not blaming it on Covid.

Rassie has made an official statement not blaming it on Covid.

Nienaber has said that they dont blame anyone, its a loss and they take it, no complaints. Not covid and no Match practice concerns.

So dont know where you are getting this. I hope its not from the opinion writers on some news sites. Always trust official sources. Scrutinise media but when it comes to opinion as oposed to an article then just know that it means nothing.

It's the case only if you think anything short of calling Gatland the best to ever do it = calling him shite!
I expect somewhere in the middle lies the closest thing one can call anything close to an objective truth. I do have to say though the idea I get casually going or threads/comments across multiple platforms.. well i can certainly understand where Welsh posters are coming from when they think there is somewhat undue criticism or at least OTT criticism. Gatland is a Kiwi but he has been at the helm of a very successful Welsh outfit so long I get the general Welsh "buy-in".

guven the style the luons are playing it seems a bit odd daly was there to begin with thoigh.

I think the selection and performance of Daly (who was hindered to a large extent) shows that the Lions coaches may have misjudged how the game would pan out. I think they probably thought they could get some joy from him with his pace, big left boot and handling skills. I think this Saturday will be a carbon copy but with the Boks aiming to crank up up the physicality and kicking.

2013 - Poor Aussie side
2017 - A gift from SBW
2021 - COVID = Unfit and undercooked Boks

Q - Has Gatland been lucky or do you make your own luck?
Well that a good question but then:

1971 - All Black side in transition with one NZ player (forget the name) being drafted in out of retirement for the 3rd test. Also Colin Meads was made captain something he admitted he wasn't comfortable with.
1974 - Weak SA side who's selection was all over the place
1989 - Good but not brilliant aussie team who had never hosted a full Lions tour or test series before.
1997 - Bok side that started the 2nd test without a recognised goal kicker and having had a number of the WC winning side retired.

If a Lions team is going to win they have to have something in their favour such as a transitional side or a lucky penalty decision. The closest they have come to winning with all things equal was in 2001 and 2009 and both were a matter of margins. The second test in 2001 should have ended with Nathan Grey being sent off for taking out Richard Hill and the 2nd test in 2009 should have ended in a draw but for a stupid decision from ROG.

Lions tours are probably the hardest thing to win so I really don't begrudge a coach that gets a bit of luck. Yes is was a poor Aussie side in 2013 but they still beat the Lions in the 2nd test and yes SBW was sent off but Mako tried his best to give away enough penalties to hand the game to a 14 man All Black side so yes Gatland has been lucky at times but you do make your own luck.....

Saturday feels a long way off so here's a stat of the day.

Our inspirational leader AWJ has been on the losing side in 77 tests, including Lions, which I guess must be a tier 1 record if you exclude Italy (Parisse racked up an amazing 106). Gethin Jenkins not far behind with 70. Does anyone know better?

AWJ's also racked up 79 wins, so almost exactly a 50% hit rate - Mr Bang Average :). McCaw must surely lead the way with his astonishing 131 wins. Mealamu and Read also have centuries and even George Gregan racked up 93.

Our inspirational leader AWJ has been on the losing side in 77 tests, including Lions, which I guess must be a tier 1 record if you exclude Italy (Parisse racked up an amazing 106). Gethin Jenkins not far behind with 70. Does anyone know better?

AWJ's also racked up 79 wins, so almost exactly a 50% hit rate - Mr Bang Average :). McCaw must surely lead the way with his astonishing 131 wins. Mealamu and Read also have centuries and even George Gregan racked up 93.
So 2 out of top 3 are Welsh? I'm actually surprised at that, though I guess SH record plays a big part in this

I feel like a junkie, considering watching League to get through the week. :D

Bok fans are currently saying we are not blaming it on Covid.

Rassie has made an official statement not blaming it on Covid.

Nienaber has said that they dont blame anyone, its a loss and they take it, no complaints. Not covid and no Match practice concerns.

So dont know where you are getting this. I hope its not from the opinion writers on some news sites. Always trust official sources. Scrutinise media but when it comes to opinion as oposed to an article then just know that it means nothing.
No my comment was more aimed at all the anti Gatland B&I fans who discredit him for anything he has ever done. Like that jealous ex who says you have a small dick.

Latest posts