5. Anthony Joshua - boxing,
  6. Harry Kane - football,
  7. Johanna Konta - tennis,
  8. Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics,
  9. Adam Peaty - swimming,
  10. Jonathan Rea - motorcycling,
  11. Anya Shrubsole - cricket,
  12. Bianca Walkden - taekwondo.
Hmm - no Rugby players included in the shortlist this year, despite being a Lions year? AJ favourite for me.

• Tom Brady (American football),
  • Roger Federer (tennis),
  • Katie Ledecky (swimming),
  • Tatyana McFadden (Para-athletics),
  • Sally Pearson (athletics) and
  • Michael van Gerwen (darts).

Overseas - seems odds onto be Federer. Surprised at the shortlist excluded Rafa, who finished world no.1 and also won two grand slams. Bit of a snub, but then suppose Wimbledon is the main reason.

Am I the only one who has no interest in this? I mean no offence but it bores the life out of me.

What the **** has Kane done other than be an overpaid fanny and win literally nothing?

AJ will probably win, and probably deservedly, though I'd pick Froome.

Unless Spurs fans mount an organised campaign, I agree that Joshua is the likely winner, boxing traditionally does well. Personally I'd like to see Chris Froome, whose achievements are working their way into all time lists win it or failing that Adam Peaty who has torn up the record books in his sport. Jonathan Rea's achievements look very impressive too, but I know nothing about his sport so it's hard to assess where he stands. Also, I have a bit of a prejudice against minority sports in these things.

Am I the only one who has no interest in this? I mean no offence but it bores the life out of me.

I enjoy the speculation / discussion about it, but probably won't bother watching the programme. It's become too BBCified for my tastes and some of the shine was taken off the award the year that Ryan Giggs won for me.

Going back to the rugby thing, I would say that Owen Farrell (and by the same token Maro Itoje) has been rather hard done by - a draw in New Zealand, European Cup and Six Nations wins and shortlisting for players of the year seem a lot more impressive than a tennisist who has never even made a grand slam final or a footballer who has won nothing to me.

For me, I like to looking back on the year that was in sport. Who wins at the end is the nice cherry tree on top.

But then cricket bores the hell out of me, especially test cricket, but I don't go on the Ashes thread to voice how disinterested in it I am.

I agree the year in pictures is useful, but does anyone know the criteria for winning an award? Is it a personality thing? Is it about contribution to one's sport? Is it simply about sporting achievement?

I agree the year in pictures is useful, but does anyone know the criteria for winning an award? Is it a personality thing? Is it about contribution to one's sport? Is it simply about sporting achievement?

It's a popularity contest (unless the BBC don't like the result in which case they change the rules - think Bob Nudd). AFAIK these days, the shortlist is compiled by a panel selected by the BBC who they trust to select a field that ticks all the minority boxes. The winner is determined by that oh so well informed panel of pundits, the public. Hence my comment that it wouldn't be a massive shock if Harry Kane won. There are criteria for nomination, but as far as I know it's up to voters to pick their own interpretation of what constitutes "SPOTY".

Latest posts