• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squads And Player Ratings

Little changes I would make, and imo, Argentina are a strong contender in this years RWC, and I reckon they will be in the Semi-Finals. Hell, better than most of the Euro teams. Quite like a good version of Italy.

Dont understand this thinking at all, on what are you basing that?? I feel that Argentina are on the slide, and cant see how they will get out of their group, after all they lost the last two times against Scotland and that was in Argentina!

Hope its not the case though, would be great for them to really show they are a big player, but gut feeling was that 3rd was a bit of a fluke, although played with real heart.

My team ratings-

NZ 92
Aus 89
SA 87
France 85
England 84
Ireland 84
Wales 82
Scotland 80
Argentina 79
Italy 78

Hopefully Argentina will do well in this world cup, it all goes down to the game against Scotland, can't wait for the game to be released!!!!!!!!!!

This are my ratings:

NZ 92
Aus 89
SA 87
France 85
England 84
Argentina 83
Ireland 83
Wales 82
Scotland 80
Italy 78

8. Ryan Jones 85

Goodness me when will anyone realise how useless ryan jones is?! He was good when he burst onto the scene in the grand slam and lions tour of 05. In recent times he has been dreadful, absolutely no impact off the base of a scrum, which is nowadays essential for go-forward. The major teams will not fear him whatsoever. He should not go to the world cup.

As HB have said team raitings will be based of the IRB ones we know the positions of the top 10 teams in the game are gonna be in this order -

[TABLE="class: table_main"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: l"]1(1)[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]
NZL.gif
NEW ZEALAND[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]93.19[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]2(2)[/TD]
AUS.gif
AUSTRALIA[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]87.45[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]3(3)[/TD]
RSA.gif
SOUTH AFRICA[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]86.44[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]4(4)[/TD]
IRE.gif
IRELAND[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]82.51[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]5(5)[/TD]
ENG.gif
ENGLAND[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]82.48[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]6(6)[/TD]
FRA.gif
FRANCE[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]82.06[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]7(7)[/TD]
WAL.gif
WALES[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]79.55[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]8(8)[/TD]
ARG.gif
ARGENTINA[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]78.97[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]9(9)[/TD]
SCO.gif
SCOTLAND[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]77.35[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]10(11)
arrow_up_blue.gif
[/TD]
SAM.gif
SAMOA[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]75.58[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Their actual overall raitings though Im not to sure of but imo it'd go something along the lines of -

NZ 93
Aus 88
SA 87
Ireland 85
England 84
France 84
Wales 83
Argentina 82
Scotland 80
Samoa 78

S.A. will be the best licensed team which is how it should be.:cool:

Castle Tri-Nations tour squad:
Backs
Gio Aplon
Bjorn Basson
Juan de Jongh
Adrian Jacobs
Elton Jantjies
Patrick Lambie
Charl McLeod
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Wynand Olivier
Ruan Pienaar
Morne Steyn
Forwards
Heinrich Brüssow
Jean Deysel
Dean Greyling
Alistair Hargreaves
Ryan Kankowski
Werner Kruger
Ashley Johnson
Johann Muller
Coenie Oosthuizen
Chiliboy Ralepelle
Danie Rossouw
John Smit (captain)
Deon Stegmann
Adriaan Strauss
Flip van der Merwe

My SA starting 22 - 1. Tendai 812. Bismark du Plessiss 833. Brian Mujati 824. Bakkies Botha 885. Victor Matfield 936. Heinrich Brussow 847. Juan Smith 898. Duane Vermaulen 809. Fourie du Preez 9210. Patrick Lambie 8011. Gio Aplon 8512. Jean de Villiers 9013. Jaque Fourie 9014. JP Pietersen 8515. Frans Steyn 8716. John Smit 8017. Danie Rossouw 8218. Jannie du Plessiss 8019. Schalk Burger 9020. Ruan Pienaar 8321. Juan de Jongh 8522. Lwazi Mvovo 84

Goodness me when will anyone realise how useless ryan jones is?! He was good when he burst onto the scene in the grand slam and lions tour of 05. In recent times he has been dreadful, absolutely no impact off the base of a scrum, which is nowadays essential for go-forward. The major teams will not fear him whatsoever. He should not go to the world cup.

Prime example of our fans blinkered views. You think he shouldn't go to the World Cup because he's not as dynamic as he used to be? You clearly don't watch the game with enough perception, he makes yards, gets through a lot of tackles and hits a lot of rucks, playing well week in week out

What is with the ridiculous welsh player rating opinions? there is no way that James Hook is anywhere near 90, every time he has played against southern hemisphere teams he has choked, and Gareth Delve 88, he was rubbish this year for the Rebels. I would love to see the ratings for NZ, SA and AUS if these are the perceived ratings for the Welsh players... Dan Carter must be 150, Quade Cooper 145 and Morne Steyne 145... food for thought. :p

10. Jonathan Sexton (86)
11. Andrew Trimble (83)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (81)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (86)

I have been dumbstruck by how someone rates Jonny Sexton at the same level as Drico

It's probably right to be fair, BOD of today =/= BOD of the past
He's still got the magic (parts of Magners final), but can also have very average games (HEC final)

Depends if you look at the player in isolation, or his impact on a game, in isolation I think 86 is about right, but when you look at the way he creates space for others, runs the backline, manages other players and his leadership I would still put BOD at about 90.

I still cannot see in Sexton what others do, I would be generous in saying I rate him 80 max. Personally, I wouldnt start him if he was at Ulster never mind Ireland. Have to say I breathe a massive sigh of relief when ROG comes on for Ireland, if he had been on against France this year Ireland would have won. But obviously others can see things I cant i guess!!

I'de have Sexton at 87 possibly 88 and BO'D 90 at least people forget he was max 60% fit for H.C. final.

--IRELAND--[30 man Squad]
1. Cian Healy 82
2. Rory Best 81
3. Mike Ross 85
4. Leo Cullen 83
5. Paul O'Connell 83
6. Sean O'Brien 85
7. David Wallace 83
8. Jamie Heaslip 86
9. Eoin Reddan 83
10. Johnny Sexton 86
11. Luke Fitzgerald 82
12. Gordan D'Arcy 84
13. Brian O'Driscoll 87
14. Tommy Bowe 86
15. Felix Jones 82

16. Jerry Flannery 82
17. Tom Court 78
18. Donncha O'Callaghan 82
19. Stephen Ferris 83
20. Issac Boss 80
21. Ronan O'Gara 86
22. Keith Earls 81

23. Sean Cronin 80
24. Marcus Horan 79
25. Dan Touhy 79
26. Shane Jennings 82
27. Tomas O'Leary 77
28. Ian Humphreys 83
29. Fergus McFadden 82
30. Rob Kearney 84 -or- Geordan Murphey 83

Have to agree with the sentiment that all the ratings are way too high.

HB should take a leaf out of the Madden rating setup. In the past, players generally recieved high gradings, which offered no differential at all throughout the game. While we may think that a score in the 60s is awful, its only a bad score in comparison. A player with such a "low" score, should certainly not automatically be hindered with a lack of pace (A real bone of contention of mine from previous games. For example, Cipriani in Rugby '08; the kid was young, inexperienced, weak, etc, but was already one of the fastest players on Wasp's books. Got a speed of barely in the 50's. Farcical) but should have a lack of awareness, handling, etc.

Taking the lead, here's an honest interpretation of an England team someone else had posted;

Andrew Sheridan 84 (Fair, but give him high injury potential)
Dylan Hartley 83
Dan Cole 79 (82+ Way off. The man had a cracking 6N)
Courtney Lawes 85 ( 80ish. Way off the finished article)
Tom Palmer 80
Tom Croft 86 (Fair, but hopefully he'll get credit where its due as far as his pace goes)
Lewis Moody 81
Nick Easter 80 (60s. The man is an awful 8th man. Slow, undynamic, an 8th man that reeks of the amateur game)
Ben Youngs 85 (Would say higher, purely because he's got to be in the top 5 in the world. Not a mean feat, considering)
Toby Flood 82 (Far better than this. Granted, may not have the speed stats, but had a cracking 6N)
Mark Cueto 79 (Deserves better, had an excellent 6N, oft the focus of an attacking move. Doesnt score though)
Shontayne Hape 78
Mike Tindall 80 (70s. Lost his pace, should lose his place)
Chris Ashton 83 (88+. Free-scoring winger. Hate his attitude, maybe, but plays for a top club in top competitions)
Ben Foden 84 (Again, who would you have ranked higher in the northern hemisphere?)

Personally, i'd advocate a certain proportion of players getting certain gradings. Ie, 2 players worldwide getting 95+ (nigh on a perfect ratig, can only be so many of these), 15-20 getting 90+, etc. Boils down to wanting to see weaknesses, not every player alike, not every player with a half decent rating being able to use their pace to run round a player.

BO'D 90 at least people forget he was max 60% fit for H.C. final.

He was considered 100% fit for the semi-final against Toulouse, where he only completed 50% of his tackles. Those tackle statistics are a worrying trend taken in isolation, but he's probably going to come back fighting in the next few months, albeit at a cost of his kicking or somethin'.

I still cannot see in Sexton what others do, I would be generous in saying I rate him 80 max. Personally, I wouldnt start him if he was at Ulster never mind Ireland. Have to say I breathe a massive sigh of relief when ROG comes on for Ireland, if he had been on against France this year Ireland would have won. But obviously others can see things I cant i guess!!

iHumph is the most dangerous Irish flyhalf with ball-in-hand. His place-kicking has taken a complete about-face from that of previous seasons, which is very commendable. His tackling is dire, though, and I could find many level-headed people who would put it below that of ROG's. Finally, Humphreys composure needs to be tested more. He has had average to somewhat poor matches in the head-to-heads with Sexton. I can understand sticking with Humphreys up north, though, as he's served you well.

Sexton has a very good defense; even among all Northern Hemisphere #10s, it rates with the best. His composure at the pinnacle of club rugby has been proven - first, his steering of the Leinster engine in Edinburgh 2009, then, his re-ignition of pre-match favourites in Cardiff 2011. These are telling qualities of the player. He's no Carter, no Cooper, and there's more talented flyhalves the world over waiting in the weeds, but, assuming he can translate his form and composure into the Test arena these upcoming months, then he will be a veritable international class #10, and I know many a nation who would jump their mum to get one of those.

As for ROG, he took on France in 2010; he passed everything to no effect, he could not run at all, when he took to kicking it was sub-par, and his defense did buckle a little. The entire Irish team lost that fixture in the Aviva this year, not one man. ROG is beginning to make a handsome career as an impact player.

South Africa match-day 22:

1. Tendai Mtawarira 86
2. Bismark du Plessis 85
3. BJ Botha 87
4. Danie Rossouw 86
5. Victor Matfield 92
6. Heinrich Brussow 88
7. Juan Smith 88
8. Willem Alberts 85
9. Fourie du Preez 90
10. Morne Steyn 88
11. Bryan Habana 86
12. Jean de Villiers 87
13. Jaque Fourie 87
14. Bjorn Basson 86
15. Francois Steyn 87

16. John Smit 85
17. Jannie du Plessis 83
18. Andries Bekker 86
19. Schalk Burger 86
20. Ruan Pienaar 85
21. Peter Grant 85
22. Gio Aplon 84

why are all ratings over 80?? for every country !
50-60 standard club player
60-70 good club player normal international
70-80 good international
80-90 pretty damm awesome
over 90 god eg bod in his day carter mabey pocock and like 2 others

Latest posts