• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Step closer to pay TV

Is the 6N one of the protected sporting events in the UK that had to be shown free to air?

From what I can tell, it is in France, but nowhere else. Could be wrong though. It definitely doesn't have that status in Ireland anyway, that's just world cup games for rugby.

Is the 6N one of the protected sporting events in the UK that had to be shown free to air?

no it's not, it comes under category B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events

Category B
Category B events can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters. As of 2000, the events covered by this category are:[4]

Athletics:

Cricket:

Golf:

Rugby union:

Tennis:

• Wimbledon Championships (excluding the finals)
Multi-sport events:

no it's not, it comes under category B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events

Category B
Category B events can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters. As of 2000, the events covered by this category are:[4]

Athletics:

Cricket:

Golf:

Rugby union:

Tennis:

• Wimbledon Championships (excluding the finals)
Multi-sport events:

Think it's similar here.

I understand the unions wanting to keep it off the list so they can use Sky etc as leverage in negotiations but actually following through would be beyond stupid.

From the article it looks like it's only Italy and France that want to sell it to pay TV - hopefully the other four unions stay strong.

The CVC investment into the Pro14 would mean more money into the IRFU's pockets via the provinces (or at least mean they have to invest less of their own money into the provinces) - I wouldn't be surprised to see the Six Nations move from the BBC fully over to ITV in England/Wales/Scotland in the near future.
Gets them advertising money without losing the good will of the fans/a large number of viewers by moving it to Sky or similar.

So I'm optimistic.

Just guessing on this but the 6 Nations and World Cup are the shop window for the sport and will stay on terrestrial TV no matter what. November internationals will go to the highest bidder, be it BT, Sky, Premier, a terrestrial broadcaster or a new entrant like Amazon Prime.

From the article it looks like it's only Italy and France that want to sell it to pay TV - hopefully the other four unions stay strong.

The CVC investment into the Pro14 would mean more money into the IRFU's pockets via the provinces (or at least mean they have to invest less of their own money into the provinces) - I wouldn't be surprised to see the Six Nations move from the BBC fully over to ITV in England/Wales/Scotland in the near future.
Gets them advertising money without losing the good will of the fans/a large number of viewers by moving it to Sky or similar.

So I'm optimistic.
Who will pay to watch Italy get beat each week?

But just no on the selling of 6N to a paywall. For me i would likely pay it as i love the game but the casual supporter or new to rugby wouldnt pay, and the whole sport would lose/not get some fans.

Just guessing on this but the 6 Nations and World Cup are the shop window for the sport and will stay on terrestrial TV no matter what. November internationals will go to the highest bidder, be it BT, Sky, Premier, a terrestrial broadcaster or a new entrant like Amazon Prime.
You'd think and hope so, and don't have to look much further than the fate of English cricket as evidence, but I wouldn't put it past some dumb administrators to jump and the short term cash injection and come out with some 'you can't stand in the way of progress' nonsense to justify it.

I think this is most likely, and is already the case with England games

The Ashes were cricket's shop window....

I sold my soul to Murdoch years ago to get Sky. But I wouldn't pay for anything else. I haven't watched heavyweight boxing in years and the 6N can take a running jump if it goes to somewhere like Amazon.

If CVC do start pulling the strings they won't care about anything except the bottom line and their eventual exit. Doing deals with the Devil's never a great strategy.

CVC were responsible for F1 viewing going down the pan by taking SKY money and elbowing BBC/ITV out of live coverage. It was just business and the armchair fan came second.

I think this is most likely, and is already the case with England games
It is indeed and is a real ****** offer, the prem is with BT (hence my sub) but the international rights with Sky really doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.

the numbers I heard were £300M , for 15% of tv income over a 5 year period, please correct if I am wrong, is the money to be shared out evenly or on a potential worth ratio , as ,in England 3 times more pay per view customers will be found than in Wales , maybe even more . this could be a stopper to the idea.

I don't want to have to watch the Six Nations on a crappy stream but there is no way I'm ever buying sky

Aye been wanting to cancel the sports package for a while.
Seem to lose something I like then gain something else.

Would rather someone like Amazon would try and venture into rugby at least if we are to go the PPV route.

Latest posts