• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steven Adams - NBA game time this year?

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I follow NBA a bit, mainly just a few bets here and there during the regular season and then watch as much of the playoffs as possible. So, while I enjoy the league and understand a bit about the game I don't have a very good sense as to whether Adams will likely see any real court time this year?

When he first got drafted most of the experts seemed to suggest Adams would be a good season or two away from any serious minutes. Then he went well in the Summer league and his stakes seemed to rise. Now I've just seen the recap of OKCs first pre-season game and Adam's looks to have gone well, in particular racking up 15min, 7pts 6 boards and 3/4 from the field.
http://www.nba.com/games/20131005/OKCFBU/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Seems he will have played a few more minutes than expected due to Perkins injury but still, seems to be a pretty good start for the Kiwi.

So what are people thinking about his chances in the NBA this year?

I'm a huge NBA fan, dunno the guy enough. Sure he can thrive in this league. He's a 7footer...we'll just have to watch at least a handful of Thunder games to know. You just can't assess with any sort of accuracy how a player is going to translate in the NBA, no matter how well you know his profile or have followed him prior.

He might become trade bait. I see him behind Perkins and Ibaka in the rotation. Depends on how much they want to use their big men.

I'm a huge NBA fan, dunno the guy enough. Sure he can thrive in this league. He's a 7footer...we'll just have to watch at least a handful of Thunder games to know. You just can't assess with any sort of accuracy how a player is going to translate in the NBA, no matter how well you know his profile or have followed him prior.

Yup agreed. Although my question is really, what do people think his chances are of getting minutes this year?

His rise has been pretty phenomenal for anyone that has followed him, largely because of his background (the fact he really had no idea how to play the game, arguably as recently as his year at Pittsburgh). The reason why he intrigues me, and I ask this question, is that almost everyone that I heard speaking about him that had any idea about the NBA agreed that Adams pretty much had zero chance of getting minutes this season (maybe even next) and now, slowly but surely, it seems he is picking up the basics required (rebounding, defensive patterns, and offensive screens) to give the coaches confidence he has what it takes to take the floor for at least a few minutes here and there when required in the early part of the season.

He might become trade bait. I see him behind Perkins and Ibaka in the rotation. Depends on how much they want to use their big men.

He is certainly behind Nick Collison as well.... From what I hear OKC are very keen on developing him as an eventual replacement for Perkins and have no desire to trade him.

Another good outing for Adams, starting in place of the injured Perkins.
17min 6 points on 3/4 shooting, 4 boards, 2 blocks a steal and an assist~!

This kid looks to be on a fast track to be honest!! I'm thinking he will play minutes this season!

2 blocks in 17mins play? lol wow

Some regular starting PFs/Cs don't get that.

Pre-season vs New Orleans: 34mins, 10 points (5/7), 15 rebounds (including 6 on the offense end), 2 assists, 1 block, 3 turnovers.

Based on that you would expect he won't just be playing a few minutes, he could be playing a lot of minutes!

Pre-season vs New Orleans: 34mins, 10 points (5/7), 15 rebounds (including 6 on the offense end), 2 assists, 1 block, 3 turnovers.

Based on that you would expect he won't just be playing a few minutes, he could be playing a lot of minutes!

Yup and started today vs Utah:
24mins, 6 points (2/6), 10 rebounds (3 on the offense end), 2 steals, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers.

Should really change the ***le of this thread cause Adams is killing it these days. Not just getting minutes but extremely productive!

Just watching him now play against Detroit!

So far at the end of the 3rd Q he has:
19min, 10 points on 5/6 shooting, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks and no Turnovers. Fantastic performance by the Kiwi so far!!

That equates to career highs in points, assists and blocks with still a Q to go!!

EDIT: STUNNING CAREER BEST (DOUBLE DOUBLE) NIGHT FOR STEVEN ADAMS:

FINAL STATS

31 MIN, 17 POINTS ON 7/10 SHOOTING, 10 REBOUNDS (5 OFFENSIVE), 3 ASSISTS, 3 BLOCKS, 1 STEAL, AND NO TURNOVERS!!

CAREER HIGHS IN MINS, POINTS, REBOUNDS, ASSISTS AND BLOCKS

Also worth noting that Kendrick Perkins, OKC's starting C only got 17 min compared to Adams 31min which really bodes well for the future if you are an Adams fan!!

And lastly there is now already talk of Adams potentially maybe making the NBA All-Rookie team 2014!!

Last edited:
Steven Adams Update! :)

SO just sitting back to watch Adams start vs the Cavs today (Perkins is out for 6 weeks) and thought I'd update you all on how the Rookie has gone this year:

[TABLE="class: yom-data yom-data-small yom-sports-stats-table"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: season"]Year
[/TH]
[TH="class: team-abbr team"]Team
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-1 games"]G
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-3 minutes-played"]Min
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-5 field-goals-made"]FGM
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-4 field-goals-attempted"]FGA
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-6 field-goal-percentage"]FG%
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-11 3-point-shots-made"]3PM
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-10 3-point-shots-attemped"]3PA
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-12 3-point-percentage"]3PT%
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-8 free-throws-made"]FTM
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-7 free-throws-attempted"]FTA
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-9 free-throw-percentage"]FT%
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-14 offensive-rebounds"]Off
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-15 defensive-rebounds"]Def
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-16 total-rebounds"]Reb
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-17 assists"]Ast
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-20 turnovers"]TO
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-18 steals"]Stl
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-19 blocked-shots"]Blk
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-22 personal-fouls"]PF
[/TH]
[TH="class: nba-stat-type-27 points"]Pts
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="class: season"]2013-14
[/TH]
[TD="class: team-id team"]OKC
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-1 games"]57
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-3 minutes-played"]14:14
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-5 field-goals-made"]1.1
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-4 field-goals-attempted"]2.3
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-6 field-goal-percentage"]47.4
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-11 3-point-shots-made dimmed"]0.0
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-10 3-point-shots-attemped dimmed"]0.0
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-12 3-point-percentage dimmed"]0.0
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-8 free-throws-made"]1.0
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-7 free-throws-attempted"]1.7
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-9 free-throw-percentage"]60.8
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-14 offensive-rebounds"]1.9
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-15 defensive-rebounds"]2.3
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-16 total-rebounds"]4.2
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-17 assists"]0.6
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-20 turnovers"]1.0
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-18 steals"]0.4
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-19 blocked-shots"]0.8
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-22 personal-fouls"]2.6
[/TD]
[TD="class: nba-stat-type-27 points"]3.2[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I'm not sure anyone expected Adams to be putting up these kind of stats so early.

What the stats don't show is the hussle, offensive screens, and general physical presence that he has brought to the game. He certainly makes his presence felt each and every game he plays. Just ask Vince Carter and Nate Robinson!

haven't seen him play at all this year, but he'd appear on the highlights every now and then.
He's getting about 15min a game, that's very good time for a rookie from abroad on such a high caliber team. And his numbers look a lot better than they should for a guy who again is both a rookie and from abroad, and who gets just the 14min so hard to get in rhythm. Pro stuff.
He's lucky OKC have the shhittiest starting Center in all the league though, they were in desperate need of a solid backup there !

haven't seen him play at all this year, but he'd appear on the highlights every now and then.
He's getting about 15min a game, that's very good time for a rookie from abroad on such a high caliber team. And his numbers look a lot better than they should for a guy who again is both a rookie and from abroad, and who gets just the 14min so hard to get in rhythm. Pro stuff.
He's lucky OKC have the shhittiest starting Center in all the league though, they were in desperate need of a solid backup there !

The other thing about Steven is before this season, he had barely played any BBall at all. Most scouts that went and saw in at Pitt said he was three years away from a possible NBA draft. Im just so impressed with the OKC coaching and how they have very carefully taught him the basics of BBall he needs to be competitive in the NBA and are slowly building on his skill set.

For example when he first played all he did was scrap and set offensive picks. They then worked really hard on his rebounding and defensive understanding, and now if you watch him you will start to see an offensive skillset starting to come into play.

Can't wait to see him and OKC in the playoffs. I suspect they will go all the way to the conference finals, then your guess is as good as mine. OKC v SA in the west and Miami v Indy in the east? Good luck picking a winner from there......

The other thing about Steven is before this season, he had barely played any BBall at all. Most scouts that went and saw in at Pitt said he was three years away from a possible NBA draft. Im just so impressed with the OKC coaching and how they have very carefully taught him the basics of BBall he needs to be competitive in the NBA and are slowly building on his skill set.

For example when he first played all he did was scrap and set offensive picks. They then worked really hard on his rebounding and defensive understanding, and now if you watch him you will start to see an offensive skillset starting to come into play.

Can't wait to see him and OKC in the playoffs. I suspect they will go all the way to the conference finals, then your guess is as good as mine. OKC v SA in the west and Miami v Indy in the east? Good luck picking a winner from there......

I guess that tells you how easy it is to become a Center in this league today. People basically just want a big, tall body, strong enough to handle the bumps in the paint, with somewhat good hands.
The scoring comes easy as moves are no longer required near the basket and all a center needs is to lay it in or be able to make shots 2m from the rim, rebounding and shot-blocking are acquired-from-experience skills and mobility isn't even that important, look at Thabbit or Hibbert...

Anyways, I support the Thunder and hope he and his team have a swell playoff run.

I guess that tells you how easy it is to become a Center in this league today. People basically just want a big, tall body, strong enough to handle the bumps in the paint, with somewhat good hands.
The scoring comes easy as moves are no longer required near the basket and all a center needs is to lay it in or be able to make shots 2m from the rim, rebounding and shot-blocking are acquired-from-experience skills and mobility isn't even that important, look at Thabbit or Hibbert...

Anyways, I support the Thunder and hope he and his team have a swell playoff run.

I'd argue you could look at it in very much the opposite way. The fact that a Rookie like Steven can make it big just emphasizes how difficult it is for Centers to make it.

What I mean by that is, you have guys in the US playing from the time they can walk, know the game inside out, have all the instincts etc, but still cant make it. The thing that Steven has that has enabled him to make it into the big time which such speed is his crazy combination of speed, size and soft hands. Also, from what I hear he has that typical Kiwi modesty and honesty that coaches over there seem to love. He is not arrogant, he is very keen to learn, listens diligently to what the senior guys and coaches are telling him and is learning quickly. Players like him are few and far between, and even when they do come up, they often fail. OKC took a risky punt on Steven and it looks like it is going to pay off for them (possible already paid off)!

The point is, good Centers in the NBA don't come around very often. I mean, think about the quality centers in the NBA right now, bet you not many spring to mind straight away! Steven has a combination of physical and mental attributes that is very rare in the NBA! THEN, just wait till Steven gets his mid range jump shot going, then he will be a massive threat. My hunch is that in 3 to 5 years he may well be one of the most dominant centres in the game :)

that's my point though, but I'm not going to start a discussion on a Rugby forum about this, but the NBA has never been so utter SHHHIT with its centers. Ffs, a guy like Hibbert gets fkn AS nods, and he goes scoreless, literally, from time to time. The league is absolutely disgusting with its level for centers atm, and it's never been this bad, not even close. Dwight fkn Howard is commonly regarded as the best big man in the league, if that doesn't crack you up I dunno what will, the Knicks record maybe or again, Roy Hibbert with his two AS selections.

Right now the league just wants big guys who have absolutely basic skills and look to implement them as best they can. Centers are used as a coaching tool these days exclusively, a lot less like a Dream or Kareem or Shaq etc...would just dominate with their superior ability naturally.

Yup agree with you on everything there.

Whos your pick for the East West and ***le?

I had my money riding early on Indy, SA for E & W respectively and both for the ***le. West looking good, but Indy crapped themselves at the tail end of the season so I am not filled with confidence in them anymore. Likely a Miami SA final series won be Miami I think now.

Earlier in the year, I'd have told you the Heat and the Thunder. Right now, there isn't enough information out there for even the most brilliant and knowledgeable mind to make a pick at all. There's no chance, no chance whatsoever in all of the infinite universe's parallel dimensions combined that neither of Indy and Miami make the Finals in the East, for the East is an absolute joke that reeks the sweaty balls of a family of small rats.
The West is tough as nails, and gets tougher each year, it's getting unbelievable. Probably still S.A. or OKC.

So if I had to give you a Finals matchup...Miami vs OKC. I think Indiana will get hc adv. but still lose to Miami, and I think OKC and SA will meet in which case OKC will win because SA just doesn't match up against the Thunder.

Earlier in the year, I'd have told you the Heat and the Thunder. Right now, there isn't enough information out there for even the most brilliant and knowledgeable mind to make a pick at all. There's no chance, no chance whatsoever in all of the infinite universe's parallel dimensions combined that neither of Indy and Miami make the Finals in the East, for the East is an absolute joke that reeks the sweaty balls of a family of small rats.
The West is tough as nails, and gets tougher each year, it's getting unbelievable. Probably still S.A. or OKC.

So if I had to give you a Finals matchup...Miami vs OKC. I think Indiana will get hc adv. but still lose to Miami, and I think OKC and SA will meet in which case OKC will win because SA just doesn't match up against the Thunder.

They already have it!

Not sure it will be enough though v the Heat - they've managed their players pretty well this year and seem to be ready to go. Indy on the other hand have basically limped in.....
Yup agree West is tough. LAC shouldn't be discounted, and maybe even Hou or Port could trouble the big boys should they heat up at the right time....

if it wasn't for that motherfkr Lance Steph. whom I can't stand a single split second, I think their chances against the Heat, albeit with hca, would be slim to not likely at all.
Miami let's be honest here, has cruised past the regular season while the Pacers had everything to prove and played out of their skins. Now it's playoff time. The Pacers will show struggles while Miami will show their real character. The Pacers AREN'T as good as they've shown earlier in the year, and the Heat are better than what they've displayed the regular season.

So I say Miami in 6. They split in Indiana, back home win em both, then lose in Indy, then back in Miami for the kill. 4-2, advance, NBA Finals.

Hibbert is lucky Miami STILL don't have a true full time big man inside, and still Oden will help, but he should go berserk a couple of times in the series. Paul George will be exposed yet again, despite 2 or 3 big games he'll have an equal number of terrible games where he shoots about 35%FG. David West is their one solid rock, and Steph. is consistent too and can crowd that stat-sheet like a bish every single night.

But Miami will have Lebron James. Dwyane Wade (on form this season). Chris Bosh. Ray Allen and a focused/efficient Beasley off the bench. Haslem, Birdman and a little Oden inside, along with a trusty Shane Battier always and an improved Rio Chalmers.

Latest posts