• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

I agree with you 100% dan the man... When players are close to the line, you should be able to press L3 or something which makes them tip toe away from the line or something.

Or when you're awarded the quick tap after a penalty, but you end up being penalized for delaying.
Or when you get penalized for knocking on the ball after successfully kicking a grubber and tackled

Please add try saving tackles in the game, e.g. if a player is about to score; if your close enough you could try and knock the ball out of his hands or 'hold him up' over the line so he can't get the ball down .

In Rugby 08 no player was aware off the tryline or touchline .

Scoring tries was so easy in 08 so I don't see how that would matter :\

I know that, but if these were added the game would have so much more dynamics to it. Variety = success

the world leage should be improved or a maneger mode thing like in fifa i hate using like in fifa. line outs ar way to easy to rob the ball and there should be lots of different set plays like in rugby 04 it was to easy to master rugby 08 the for a challenge i had to be a crap team against 1 of the top teams. but lets say canada just lose the ball to easy u cant make a brake or u lose the ball rucks need to be better scrums ar to easy rules need to be correct like a crooked ball is a penalty what? no its not. there should be a pick and go system maybe 1 of your set play on the d pad i dont no how use doing set plays that whould be cool a good onlline system would be awsome the challenge mode was preaty cool id like to see an improved comeback magners leage must have if u dont get funding call it something like mangerz leage or something i dont no if u can do that tackling needs to be better get rid of star players brian o driscal (thats prob spelt wrong) can run the pitch to easy great player but nobody can do wat he does in that game just make him a player rating of like 85-95 so he will make brakes but not run the pitch that goes for all star players

Scoring tries was so easy in 08 so I don't see how that would matter :\

This would add more realism to the game... and hopefully the 'Elite' difficulty setting in Rugby 2012 is actually challenging so that one try would actually make a big difference

Does anyone agree that the cpu discipline was a bit too good when in their own half, ie: your score would be made up of only tries rather than having penalty kicks.

It kind of bummed me out having the same score poking up, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35..... i would like some variety.

basically:
Please make the computer cheat more than before!

or you could miss a few kicks and that would definitely change your score averages lol.

drop goals anyone?

Ha! drop goals... kinda pointless when your winning the Knockout Cup Final 42 - 0 and it's not even half-time :) this game needs to be much harder so that things like drop goals and penalties are more valuable.

I usually found that unless i had a penalty right out in front i'd just kick for touch, win the lineout and then score a try. I've just started a new World League tournament and was really enjoying it... until i managed to recruit some half decent players, this next game needs to be SOOOO much harder.
There wasn't a single try scored in the last World Cup Final and i hope that try scoring becomes alot harder in Rugby 2012

I have one suggestion, something I've always wanted to see in all these Rugby and even FIFA games.
Have the ability to play as a player (or yourself) in a dedicated position on the field, throughout the game, could be as a First person POV or 3rd person POV.

e.g. if you want to be the lock, prop, wing, no.8 what ever your choice is then that's your position through out the game, the game uses AI to determine the actions of the other players based on real world stats, but your player is completely controlled by you as the player.

I have one suggestion, something I've always wanted to see in all these Rugby and even FIFA games.
Have the ability to play as a player (or yourself) in a dedicated position on the field, throughout the game, could be as a First person POV or 3rd person POV.

e.g. if you want to be the lock, prop, wing, no.8 what ever your choice is then that's your position through out the game, the game uses AI to determine the actions of the other players based on real world stats, but your player is completely controlled by you as the player.

Check it out

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?17842-Be-A-Pro

I ended up doing something similar to that actually,

to make it a bit more challenging i chose to add a couple of rules for myself,

1) have to score 3 drop goals before being able to score any tries.

2)not allowed to score tries in first 50 minutes.

It didnt change much but there was a lot more pressure to score quickly and it made it impossible to get winning bonus points.

Get rid of the weeving running! where a change in direction was actually faster than running in a straight line! We played rugby 08 ALOT whilst at uni and had to make up our own rules to stop players from just running rings around defenders whilst the rest of the opposing team just followed the ball uselessly! I would suggest slowing down the speed of a big change in diection whilst at full pelt and using more stepping, crash running ect moves whilst running the ball, also a greater emphasis on the flyhalf with better options for dummy balls, inside balls or cross field kicks ect. I would also like to see a bit more emphasis on the break down so its less easy turnover the ball even when there are some of your own players their first. As a flanker myself I would love to see a bit more user control at the breal down too. Maybe using the hands in the ruck option a bit more allowing the first man to challenge for the ball with players like David Pockock, Richie ect being especially good at this, or just driving over the ball if you feel that you have the advantage in numbers ect.

Ive been waiting a long time for this game to come out! Im sure you will do us all proud!

Also add a blood bin and real injuries. I love the idea of different ref stats and playing the game differently to suit the ref, maybe even having some dialogue with the ref telling you if you are too close to offside or entering the ruck at the side ect. It could be cool to have the new players entrance just like on TV where the starting players walk towards the screen and fold their arms, (would have to be good graphics though)

We all agree the next game needs to be harder.
One way of doing this would be if in the Manager mode/ Season mode/... you're players started being poached by their international teams during November tests, 6 Nations, 3/4 Nations Summer tests, friendlies, world cup warm up matches and the world cup itself (if it occurs during your season).
This would mean that if your team started playing well and you made your players look impressive (a player with perfect kicking, who scores a try every game, ...), your players would be called up meaning you would need to sign up cover players.

Although i believe the season mode should be so difficult that you'd pretty much have to pick one trophy and do your best to try and get it (it's been a while since a northern hemisphere team won their premiership and the H. cup).

Also if HB want to re-explore the challenge mode, how about it being a "grudge match" mode with matches such as British Army Vs Navy, Oxford Vs Cambridge, Neath Vs Swansea, and other grudge matches which i don't know about.

You could include objectives within these matches depending on which team you picked.
( only and idea of course )

Get rid of the weeving running! where a change in direction was actually faster than running in a straight line! We played rugby 08 ALOT whilst at uni and had to make up our own rules to stop players from just running rings around defenders whilst the rest of the opposing team just followed the ball uselessly!

Oh,yes! Rugby 2001 had a decent running system, in which the players were more sluggish in changing the direction. Maybe it would be an idea to implement this running thingy in the next game.

Don't make players knock on the ball as often as they do when they play out of position.
Make the scrumaging realistic instead of nearly pushing 2 metres forward when you have the ball.
Design your own set plays.
Enhanced lineouts .ie. Dummy lifting, moving back and forth in the lineout, maul off of other jumpers instead of at 2 all the time,option to shorten the numbers in the lineout.
The ability to switch or dummy switch in open play without the need to set up a set play.
The ability to perform a chip kick without using a set play.
Change something about the rucks instead of button mashing.
Online gameplay is a must.
Improve team play online and offline.
The option to make your own tournaments as well as your own team for the world league with improved manager mode.
Roster updates with the option to change them manually.
Fix the injury problems and freezing.
Add more licencing of players, stadiums and teams.
Crash ball

Well there's a few here that might of been mentioned before but some of these are MUSTS.

1. Well the graphics would HAVE to be as good as FIFA 10 or 11's. FIFA 09 at least.

2. I would say the game would have to be fully licensed or at least 85 - 95 %

3. Realistic player animations. Goal kicking, everything.

4. Boots, kits, accessories, boots again! We LOVE boots! :p Another must. This is a commonly talked about subject that many people say must have to be more realistic and make the game better. It would be exceptional or very good if this were the same or very similar to FIFA 10/11/12's editing options in the game. Many of my friends would be majorly put off the game if it didn't include this, I would believe the same to be for many other loyal EA Rugby Game Players, especially those who have played and dab into the other games. FIFA, MADDEN, NHL. TATTOOS would be a must, some you should be able to put on your player, and some players should have their very own tattoos that you can't use. This is almost another must for the editing options in game.
^
*By this I mean in game player editing options.*

5. Possibly a Be a PLayer mode: But I agree this would be difficult to make as the positions in Rugby are more different to each other than in the FIFA games. I just find it would be awesome calling for long balls, calling the shots, running around being a gigantic prop smashing into rucks, then hitting it up and getting to the other break downs and scrummaging. Controlling the game from First Five/Fly Half whatever you want to call it. As well as Half-back/Scrum-Half. And tackling. doing kicks, in fact, this option as one way to put it would be F****** awesome. But difficult to do. Just a suggestion! :)

6. This has been mentioned heaps, but still here it is again. ITM CUP and CURRIE CUP. This is another must have.

7. A cool suggestion from my mate Reece. When you are the All-Blacks you can choose which Haka you want them to do, possibly could have stat boosts and to make it fair other teams could somehow get similar stat boosts to their teams. I also believe this would make the game more realistic and extremely good. I mean, WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FOUR YEARS! *EDIT* Another idea from him but has been mentioned before I'm sure is making your own set plays. Cheers.

8. Possibly run on a FIFA Engine or MADDEN one, I'm not sure if this has been announced yet since I am new to the forum, or if it will have it's own RUGBY one.

9. Don't scrap The World League mode, this was an awesome game play mode but make it Pounds/Dollars/Euros/Francs instead of Transfer Points.

10. Make the game A LOT HARDER. Rugby 08 has only three difficulties and its a simple task of mastering the Elite mode setting. This is one of the biggest things to improve the Rugby Franchise. Possibly five or so difficulties like FIFA's maybe one more to make it six, but you would have to unlock it.

11. Give the game some easter egg's and definitely some cool unlockables. This would just add to the games atmosphere and make it a whole of a lot fun to play :) This can include some World XV Team's, Developer's as players, Secret Stadiums, extra kits, unlockable boots using a code (Like FIFA World Cup, and some other games I think.) Similar cheats to Rugby 08? Even though I don't like cheating a lot at all. But if you have to earn them (And it's very hard too!) Then I would agree with it to be an option :)

12. This is a little far fetched like Be a Pro, but it would be cool (Like in the FIFA Games.) That when the game is loading, you can run around and play with the rugby ball, it would be cool too place kick some goals, have a bit of a step/wack/whack/twack/sidestep, whatever you want to call it - I know it has a lot of names!, have a drop goal or punt, get past some tacklers :)

I hope some of these ideas are remotely original but don't give me stick if they're not! I know some of them have been already mention, just adding to the point that most of these are a MUST. I also know these might seem a bit far fectched for the franchise at the moment, but this should be definitely kept in mind for future rugby games, but we have been loyal and waiting for quite some time :) I'm sure we won't be let down!
Cheers
-Eli Jones.

Last edited:
1) I like playing the game with injuries at max, makes it more chellenging and realistic. I would like to be able to have all my reresves on the field and then have a player injured and bring the hooker/prop or whatever back on the field.
2) Blood replacements - spice things up with blood replacement throughout the game
3) If a prop/hooker is injured and your reserves are already on the field, I want to bring my original prop/hooker back on the field, or uncontested scrums if more than one is injured.
4) I would like to choose wich kicker kicks@ goal, each time. For example: Matt Giteau from the right, Cooper from the left, Frans Steyn from 60m out, Morny Steyn from 50m out. Not just the long and short kicks.
5) Maybe have some players sent off if a fight breaks out.
6) Make some teams stronger for certain other teams, eg. Cheetahs always give SA teams a hard time during Super 14, but ussually folds against any team with a ozzy/kiwi accents.
7) Maybe a create your own tournament section and be able to change fixtures for other tournament so that is can correspond with the following years fixtures, or tournamant fixture updates.
8) More detailed injuries, eg. game lets gamer know how long a player is injured for during a world cup, and if player is injured for x number of weeks I would like to replace player in the squad with another player "flown" from home.
9) This is propably not worth mentioning, but I'll say it anyway. Correct and updated rules, Rugby 08 had some bugs with that if you have penalty advantage and the ball is kick out, the advantage disappears, and the kick stormed down offside rule and lineout was incorrect.

Can't wait for the game to be released, its going to be Trumptastic!

Cheers

An in depth edit mode and possibly a mode like FIFA's Virtual Pro and with Online Clubs
That would be incredible and would generate a lot of interest from non rugby fans!

Latest posts