• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Do we have any young hookers really putting their hands up atm? (Prince Andrew has entered the chat)

I really wouldn't mind seeing George McGuigan getting a crack this summer, because he's playing very well.
But it's kind of awkward situation where George and LCD are firmly established that it's almost not worth playing older hookers because they're not going to get a look in in a non-lions year (like Dunn), so do we give these opportunities to a 20/21yr old guy instead?

I imagine it'll be Dunn and Singleton, but I don't rate Singleton and EJ doesn't seem to rate Dunn

Is he really putting his hands up as an international player, though?

Genuine question, I've not really been paying that much attention to him - I know he's been getting plenty of game time, but I can't remember him standing out

For a young 2 I think he has, certainly compared to other options he would make sense getting some game time v the NA teams.

Fair play,

We'll see if Proudfoot has managed to steal Ashman away from Scotland, as well - not sure playing under Eddie Jones is exactly a selling point, though

Obviously I rate Mcguigan massively. I would have him in the squad definitely...however hes 28, and will be behind George and LCD for the seniors.

So maybe in this set of games you put the time into the young guys....Capon etc...

Calum Chick is seriously putting his hand up for a spot and so is Adam Radwan....and I'd suggest Jonee has a look at Ben Stevenson ( currently playing wing for us) who is a quality all round centre...

Well looks like another hooker spot has opened up now anyway,
Second red of the season for Dunn so he'll be out for a while

Obviously I rate Mcguigan massively. I would have him in the squad definitely...however hes 28, and will be behind George and LCD for the seniors.

So maybe in this set of games you put the time into the young guys....Capon etc...

Calum Chick is seriously putting his hand up for a spot and so is Adam Radwan....and I'd suggest Jonee has a look at Ben Stevenson ( currently playing wing for us) who is a quality all round centre...
Chick has been looking good recently. Seems like he's developing the all round game to be a genuine contender. He's not got the highlight reel Dombrandt has, but doesn't have any obvious weaknesses to his game.

Chick has been looking good recently. Seems like he's developing the all round game to be a genuine contender. He's not got the highlight reel Dombrandt has, but doesn't have any obvious weaknesses to his game.
Chick has always been a talented player BPM....but this pre season he intentionally put on some serious muscle / bulk and its taken his game to another level. His ability in the contact / collisons has particularly come to the fore. And his carrying...he's showing our backs how to take the ball at speed hitting the gaps / space.

Dombrandt should rightfully be the main starter and focus...but Chick is someone worth having a look at for his alround game now.

He's a different player to Mark Wilson. I think he has more offensive skills, and not quite as granite like physically. We have young Rob Farrar coming through for that...6'3 Mark Wilson Mk 2 :)

Jones probably left the Stoop yesterday chuntering about poor defences.

But he'd have to be insane if he didn't love the performances of Robson and Smith. And in one break Dombrandt made more yards than Binny has since 2017.

Sure it was a Baa Baas style game but just showed, yet again, that the talent is there.

Jones has to recognise that Smith is the best English 10 now...

SO the summer games confirmed...

SUMMER SERIES FIXTURES
Sunday 27 June - England A v Scotland A, Mattioli Woods Welford Road (KO TBC)

Sunday 4 July - England v USA, Twickenham Stadium (KO TBC)

Saturday 10 July - England v Canada, Twickenham Stadium (KO TBC)'

Hope we capture Ashman and Rodd v Scotland A. (Also Kelly)
Yeah, I hope it's a capture game regardless - having these weird "England XV" games that don't capture players is just dumb

Pretty underwhelming schedule tbh, but it is what it is.

Considering the issues with travel back to SH atm it would've been cool to see some sort of NH Barbarians side put together to play this summer, like how in Super League they used to have England vs Exiles games

At the very least they should've pushed to try and play Japan as well - considering EJ's links to the JRFU, and our cancelled tour there

Im guessing the "A" game will be very new players...and the other two will have the likes of players looking for a starting spots like Genge, Stuart etc...?

Latest posts