• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

So is Daly completely out the picture for 15 now?

Will it be one of the young lads in the summer games who lines up in the seniors in the Autumn - Malins, Freeman, Steward, Parton (i think its a bit too soon for Hodge to be in the equation yet)

1620729295149.png

Unless he's got a cloning machine I think he'll be busy! (Edit: Didn't realise you meant long term :p - I think EJ will bring him straight back in in the Autumn, tbh, he loves him)

Agreed. Steward has definitely played well enough to warrant a call-up, but I'd argue that giving Malins a run of games is probably a higher priority.
I guess I agree with that.

For whatever reason though I haven't been able to get too excited by Malins yet. Steward just seems to inspire confidence and security which for me are the key traits in a 15.

I can't see Malins as a long term starter. Steward I could.

No i meant for the Senior England side in the Autumn International's.

Is the Full back for those games likely to come from the Summer England games, rather than Daly with the Lions?
Ah yeah, I clocked it after I posted ha

I imagine Malins slots straight in for the summer, but tbh I rate Steward higher than him

Hodge I put in the ones to keep an eye on category (like Freeman) - shown flashes of good stuff but also made some naive errors you wouldn't want replicated at international level. He's still eligible for the u20s though so it's not like the clock is ticking on him or anything.

It's hard to judge with Daly - got dropped in the 6N but then EJ has always loved him and going on the Lions tour (even if he doesn't play the tests) will only boost his reputation.
I'd expect to see him straight back in the first choice 23 tbh, regardless of what players do over the summer (any mercurial performances will have the asterisk of "Well it was vs Tier 2 opposition" in the coaches eyes)

I do rate Steward very highly...he does have a very good passing game, and offloading in attacking scenarios which sometimes gets overlooked for his defensive abilities.

At 6'5 , great under the high ball and rock solid defensively...he would be my choice.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Steward very highly too, but he's a different type of fullback to what Eddie seems to have in mind.

Daly, Furbank and Malins are all of a similar ilk and if that's what he's going for, I think Malins has the potential to be the best option, hence why I'd be looking to give him the game time to prove it.

I'd forgotten about Malins, tbh - which is daft because he's been playing well
He should start at 15 for the summer

I wouldn't be happy with Furbank in the squad (or Coka), tbh
May is on the decline but still has a lot to offer, and Thorley is very good even if a bit off form (think there might be an injury thrown in there too?) so I'd be happy with them there

I imagine we'll see some of the young guns in the England A fixture (could realistically be the whole of the London Irish back 3 - or De Glanville for Parton) and then 11. May, 14. Thorley/Odogwu/Coka 15. Malins in the tests
I do wonder about Odogwu, though - Eddie said he was in the squad as a 13 in the 6N, and he plays there a fair bit for Wasps (as much as wing?) so maybe he'll be in contention for the 13 shirt rather than 14
There's also Josh Hodge, who's been an apprentice for Eddie before (though usually that's the kiss of death)

Would love to see a Lawrence/O'Connor midfield at some point, but I can't see Slade not being the centres (and he deserves to be, to be fair) but I can't see Bristol not making the prem final so won't be around for the A game

Freeman is the Saints fullback/wing, right? I imagine he'll be in the u20s - don't think he'd realistically be in contention for the seniors. Sleightholme is the Saints player really knocking on the door atm
How about
Robson, Simmonds J, Nowell, Devoto, Slade, May, Malins

For one match

And

Care, Smith, Big Joe, O'Connor, Marchant, Thorley, Steward

For another

RE Saxons IMO makes sense, makes it a bit more clearly for people who don't know what the team is also.
Personally I would get rid of teams having jets and cavaliers etc.

Just keep it simple and say A dammit
The problem with Saxons, is that it only represents the southern half of England. The north were Vikings, whole the original tribe would be the Celts!!!

How about
Robson, Simmonds J, Nowell, Devoto, Slade, May, Malins

For one match

And

Care, Smith, Big Joe, O'Connor, Marchant, Thorley, Steward

For another
I don't dislike this idea although I doubt Care would accept a recall for meaningless games.

Swap in Randall or Mitchell for Care and that looks good.

Didnt Jones namedrop Atkinson from Wasps? Does that mean anything...or just Jones usual warbling...

The problem with Saxons, is that it only represents the southern half of England. The north were Vikings, whole the original tribe would be the Celts!!!
Uses that same argument shouldn't we change the name of the British and Irish lions to be more inclusive because it doesn't include those born in New Zealand, South African or Tonga etc.

I joke but with the name Saxons was never meant to refer to just the Saxon population. Reading the article it seems more to do with the racist connotations around the phrase as the latest trend.

And of course, Northerners were Saxons before they became Danes, and both were still Celt and Romano-British from before then. I'm assuming none of us want to claim the Normans though, who would mostly be aristocracy, their fall-outs and their bastards.
Oh, and Viking was an occupation, not an ethnic descriptor - if we're getting technical here.

Just keep it simple and say A dammit
Wouldn't we go back to England B if we wanted to keep it simple? What with A being the first letter of the alphabet, it seems reasonable to think that would be relate to the first team, B the second, etc.

I don't remember when this changed, but remember wondering why.

Uses that same argument shouldn't we change the name of the British and Irish lions to be more inclusive because it doesn't include those born in New Zealand, South African or Tonga etc.

I joke but with the name Saxons was never meant to refer to just the Saxon population. Reading the article it seems more to do with the racist connotations around the phrase as the latest trend.
That is why I jest.

The Saxons were immigrants anyway, so surely it shows diversity.

I am whole heartedly behind having equality, but destroying history, both good and bad will just create more tension.

That is why I jest.

The Saxons were immigrants anyway, so surely it shows diversity.

I am whole heartedly behind having equality, but destroying history, both good and bad will just create more tension.
Yeah I don't get this new idea of equality which isn't really equality after all. It's laughable when people complain about the 'colonial west' like the the rest of the world wasn't doing exactly the same thing.

Even before then looking at what the Roman, Saxons, Norse and then Normans did to our country you have to laugh at the idea it's only recent people in history that have done something bad.

Will it be one of the young lads in the summer games who lines up in the seniors in the Autumn - Malins, Freeman, Steward, Parton (i think its a bit too soon for Hodge to be in the equation yet)

Steward could be a fantastic Test full back. 6'5" and he's an ace in the air. He's someone I've been aware of for a couple of years and it's exciting to see how good he is already despite his age.

Latest posts