• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 FINAL - Crusaders v Hurricanes

Why don't they officially just name the next day as a reserve day with every game played eg like cricket one dayers???

Originally posted by esoj@May 29 2006, 04:18 PM
I still think its crazy to suggest shifting the game or banning games from being played at night based on one freak of nature. the fog was still there on sunday as well so post phoning till the next day would not have been great either

the match offiicials etc were asked at half time if they wanted to keep going and they said yes.

the conditions were bad nobody is denying this at all. but calls to ban nights games is simply way over the top.

I highly doubt you would see fog like that in another 10 if not 20 years.

rugby is a game played in all conditions. they don't stop playing when it rains. sure this was really bad but the teams and everybody else involved agreed to play the game.

maybe in future they should find somone that has a spare 20 million or so to cover the re-booking of flights,catering, work compensation etc.
But you do know that there are specific temperature and humidity conditions that have to be met before a game can be played...
It happened atleast twice to my knowledge during the U-19 RWC here in Dubai, when the readings are a bit too high and the match was delayed for 15 minutes...

True - but wouldn't that be the easiest solution to this unique problem?

Just allow for it, they may never have to actually use it, but then that seems to be what guys are arguing here, whether freak weather will strike again, coincidentally on an important night...

yes I am sure there is. hence why the canterbury union consulted with match officals and the nzrfu.

its just not making sense... delaying a game by a day...
but the thing is it being a final game adds to the brilliant of the game dont you think? with both teams having to compete in a really bad condition...
this year, other than the S-14 final...
the guinness premiership final also had a really bad rain throughout the match, and it is really hard for both teams to play in em but hey! thats part of the fuN!

Definitely, to be the best team, you have to overcome all challengers, and the conditions... which made the game(s) harder.

for sure ideal weather conditions would be great but sadly this doesn't always happen.

and if you do it for a final why not do it for other games then.

Originally posted by esoj@May 29 2006, 06:37 PM
for sure ideal weather conditions would be great but sadly this doesn't always happen.

We aren't talking about slightly unideal conditions.

You always make things so black or white. It's not that simple. There are heaps of games played each year in "unideal" conditions. Nobody's saying that they should cancel games that are in slightly unideal conditions.

There are some games that are played with less than 50% visibility. Thats still no problem to me.

The game on Saturday night, would have been lucky, VERY lucky to have made 20%.

The visibility on Saturday night was ridiculous. It was beyond anything that has been seen before in Super 12/14 history.

Those of us who are saying that it would have been good if cancelled and played the next day, would not say that about any other Super 12/14 match EVER. I'm pretty sure AK and the others would agree.

The only thing I'm trying to say is that the administrators did everything by the book, and I'm fine with that. Although in the future, the book needs to be changed. People do insure against freak events and this is one that in my eyes should not have gone ahead.

As for that post showing that the fog was around at 9.30 the next morning, Well done esoj, you soooo proved me wrong. Here I was talking about the afternoon, and I should have known that 9.30am was the afternoon. I heard about 8 talkback callers in Christchurch (some who live near the ground) saying that there was no fog whatsoever. This I heard at about 12.40pm.

Mind you, this is esoj I'm responding to, a man who has never backed down on anything, so I guess I was wrong from word one. Here we go, (bracing myself for esoj's sermon).

Originally posted by C A Iversen+May 29 2006, 09:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@May 29 2006, 06:37 PM

You always make things so black or white. It's not that simple. There are heaps of games played each year in "unideal" conditions. Nobody's saying that they should cancel games that are in slightly unideal conditions.

There are some games that are played with less than 50% visibility. Thats still no problem to me.

The visibility on Saturday night was ridiculous. It was beyond anything that has been seen before in Super 12/14 history.

Those of us who are saying that it would have been good if cancelled and played the next day, would not say that about any other Super 12/14 match EVER. I'm pretty sure AK and the others would agree.

The only thing I'm trying to say is that the administrators did everything by the book, and I'm fine with that. Although in the future, the book needs to be changed. People do insure against freak events and this is one that in my eyes should not have gone ahead.

As for that post showing that the fog was around at 9.30 the next morning, Well done esoj, you soooo proved me wrong. Here I was talking about the afternoon, and I should have known that 9.30am was the afternoon. I heard about 8 talkback callers in Christchurch (some who live near the ground) saying that there was no fog whatsoever. This I heard at about 12.40pm.

Mind you, this is esoj I'm responding to, a man who has never backed down on anything, so I guess I was wrong from word one. Here we go, (bracing myself for esoj's sermon). [/b]
talked to my grandad yesterday (sunday) who lives just down the road from the stadium. He was at the game, top tier at the front and he couldnt see anything. he couldnt see the tv screen though he says if he could he would be just looking at fog through fog anyway.

He also said there would have been no point playing hte game the next day as the fog was around all day anyway (and out of everyone i talk to or hear from he is the only person who i would trust and actually care about his opinion about rugby.

he got to hold the trophy after the game in the supporters club, he said it was quite small :)

just my 2 cents

Well, I for one wanted the Hurricanes to win. Of course it wasn't to be, but I'd rather have a Hurricanes loss covered by a fog, where I can't see the result. :p

Also, sorry Woosaah man, for taking the **** last week. Wasn't meant to irk, my post was just too late to make any sense.

Well I drove all the way to work playing the Crusaders theme and wore a cap into work because I know they would of done the same thing if they won.

Just because I live in Wellington doesn't mean I support them.

It's the same in the league there's no way in hell I would support the Warriors I'm a Broncos fan.

Originally posted by Mehrtsisagod@May 29 2006, 11:09 PM
Well I drove all the way to work playing the Crusaders theme and wore a cap into work because I know they would of done the same thing if they won.

Just because I live in Wellington doesn't mean I support them.

It's the same in the league there's no way in hell I would support the Warriors I'm a Broncos fan.
Same here, can't support the Warriors.

Had too many years supporting Cronulla.

Doesn't help when an idiot foolishly supported the Warriors, kind of puts you off...

Me I'm an Eels man, only slightly better off than Warriors though :(

eels fan here 2 :)

and rimmer, np i wasnt worried about it, i didnt think you were los until the other thread, i was letting it go as i thought it was just a joke :)

if there was no fog canterbury woudl have won anyway :) doesnt matter

yay canterbury

Originally posted by C A Iversen+May 29 2006, 09:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@May 29 2006, 06:37 PM

Mind you, this is esoj I'm responding to, a man who has never backed down on anything, so I guess I was wrong from word one. Here we go, (bracing myself for esoj's sermon). [/b]
if you know someone that is willing to front up with I think something along the lines of 20 million and are willing to front that up at a moments notice sure thing.

everything is black and white in most cases.

there is conflicting reports about the fog it seems. some are saying it was gone by late morning others saying it was around all day. not that it really matters because unless someone steps up with a lot of cash etc the game can't be delayed beyond the current day anyway.

apparently things like money don't enter into ca Iversen's "I am always right" world. things like re-booking of flights catering employers being paid compenstation etc all adds up. and someone at a moments notice is expected to pay for all of this which would literally be millions of dollars.

the nzrfu etc were all consulted about post phoning the game and they decided to go ahead. the only thing that could have made them post-phone the game to the next day would be someone willing to pay for it all.

but then again ca Iversen is always right and money doesn't exist in the real world.

I look forward to the speech by ca iverson

Yeah, don't we all. Sheesh, can't we rent you two a closet to jump ou.......(no Rimmer, don't go there again). :p

Latest posts