Bulls vs Stormers at Orlando Stadium, Soweto
Referee:
Craig Joubert
Assistant referees: Cobus Wessels, Christie du Preez
3 & 4: Pro Legoete, Lourens van der Merwe
Reserve referee: Mark Lawrence
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman
Timekeeper: Gabriel Pappas

Stormers... Listen... You guys just gotta win! I can't take this Bulls domination any longer!

Bulls squad announced:

Bulls: 15. Zane Kirchner, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Jaco Pretorius, 12. Wynand Olivier, 11. Francois Hougaard, 10. Morne Steyn, 9. Fourie du Preez, 8. Pierre Spies, 7. Dewald Potgieter, 6. Deon Stegmann, 5. Victor Matfield (capt), 4. Danie Rossouw, 3. Werner Kruger, 2. Gary Botha, 1. Gurthro Steenkamp.

Substitutes: 16. Bandise Maku, 17. Bees Roux, 18. Flip van der Merwe, 19. Derick Kuun, 20. Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 21. Jaco van der Westhuyzen, 22. Pedrie Wannenburg.

Rest of the article:

Pretoria - Bulls coach Frans Ludeke made only one change to the side that beat the Crusaders in last weekend's semi-final, for the Super 14 final against the Stormers at Orlando Stadium on Saturday.

Gerhard van den Heever, who has served his suspension for a dangerous tackle, returns on the wing in place of veteran Jaco van der Westhuyzen who drops to the bench in place of Stephan Dippenaar.
Ludeke has again decided to go with a 5-2 bench in stead of the traditional four forwards and three backs. This is made possible by the versatility of the backs where Jacques-Louis Potgieter can cover at flyhalf and centre and Van der Westhuyzen is at home at flyhalf, wing and fullback. Francois Hougaard will take over at scrumhalf if the need arises.

There were some concerns with injuries and Heini Adams was in fact on standby as replacement scrumhalf with Hougaard's injured hand causing concern.

However, the man who would have to take over should Fourie du Preez have to be replaced has been cleared to play, as have Danie Rossouw (neck spasm), Wynand Olivier (knee) and Du Preez (shoulder).

Bulls captain Victor Matfield, said he hoped the rest they had the Saturday before last and which stood them in good stead last weekend, will come through again.

"This week is all about planning en preparing properly," said the experienced captain who led his side to two Super 14 ***les in three seasons. He has also experienced lifting the Currie Cup as captain and holding the World Cup as player and vice-captain.

The Bulls won't have a run at Orlando Stadium this week. They are happy they know the field after having trained there last weekend and playing the semi-final there - and the field and its atmosphere can be an unpleasant surprise for the Stormers who have not played there before.

Source

Big day for the young man, van der Heever. In the beginning of the season I was totally against him playing for the Boks, but now I reckon he deserves a start against Italy at least.

I don't mind who wins, as long as it's a great game! The cup is in SA, and that's all that matters!

My main concern is the ref, I would have preferred Stu Dickinson to Joubert. I reckon the line-outs will be very even but the Bulls should target the Stormers scrum then I think it would be easier to defend against their dangerous backs. It would be nice if Hougaard can bounce Habana the the way he did Bowden.

My main concern is the ref, I would have preferred Stu Dickinson to Joubert. I reckon the line-outs will be very even but the Bulls should target the Stormers scrum then I think it would be easier to defend against their dangerous backs. It would be nice if Hougaard can bounce Habana the the way he did Bowden.

I agree about the scrums its an area the bulls have to target but Im very worried about how Spies got the ball ripped away from him in the semis,it was very clear that,that was the crusaders game plan with him,they know he is very difficult to bring down so they would target the ball instead,I think Frans is going to have to work with Spies on that.

Stormers – 15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Schalk Burger (c), 5 Andries Bekker, 4 Adriaan Fondse, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Wicus Blaauw.
Subs: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 JC Kritzinger, 18 Anton van Zyl, 19 Pieter Louw, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Willem de Waal, 22 Tim Whitehead.

These teams are so evenly matched but you gotta feel the Bulls are favourites here. More specifically the Bulls got the upper hand in the scrums (as said before) and tactical kicking.

The only place were I see the Stormers having an upper hand is their loose forwards, that trio has been outstanding, and I reckon are more well rounded than the Bulls loose forwards, who have very specific roles.

The Bulls deserved to win, hate to say it but the Stormers were out of the game when they were 0-9 down. This Bulls team is devastating when they get momentum. They seem to put the Stormers under pressure at will. And Du Preez... master class performance from him, just untouchable.

Yeah I gotta say, Bulls were completely dominant.

I'm surprised we clawed back the way we did, at some point I was thinking they might completely trounce us.

Still, first final ever so I was just so chuffed we did that this year , hopefully next year we can repeat the performance.

Congrats Bulls, hard luck Stormers, who are surely the most improved side of the comp.

Some nerves early in the game caused the stormers the final this year. Now to win 2011 S15

I feel like the time is right for the Canes to finally come away with the super trophy...

True, but I see them end in the top 4-5, maybe they can do it this season. Depending on injuries etc...

I wish them the best.

Latest posts