• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Start Sexton and JJ or bust imo. Garland got all he could out of Warren ball and fell very short, time to get creative players in to take advantage of the defensive frailties NZ showed.

JD2 had a pretty decent game, ran through gaps with ball in hand and actually passed it, so can't see JJ replacing him. Farrell didn't have a great game. But then he was on the back foot a lot of the game, which I don't think Sexton would improve on the Lions pack is going backwards. The mistake in the 1st test was replacing Te'o for Sexton when chasing the game and shifting Farrell to 12. So I would keep Farrell at 10, but replace him in the 2nd half with Sexton.

I really want Fifita to get game time, I seriously rate him, he's excellent, but I can't see him overtaking Barrett and Romano.

On what you're saying about Jordie shouldn't be on the bench as FB cover isn't needed, the same went for the Samoa game but he was still in then. Hansen clearly really rates Jordie and I can't see Laumape getting in over him. Would've thought it'll be Jordie 23 with Ioane acting as centre cover and ALB able to shift inwards if need as well.
I think Jordie on the bench in the Samoa game was more a case of them wanting to get full games out of SBW and wanting to protect Bender and Beaudy as much as possible. Good point re. Ioane though, hadn't actually thought about that. That could even mean Julian or Naholo could be on the bench, as FB and midfield would still be covered. In the end I guess it'll come down to who can provide the most impact in their respective position. IMO that would be Ngani, but as you said Shag does love Jordie, so there's a good chance you're right.

JD2 had a pretty decent game, ran through gaps with ball in hand and actually passed it, so can't see JJ replacing him. Farrell didn't have a great game. But then he was on the back foot a lot of the game, which I don't think Sexton would improve on the Lions pack is going backwards. The mistake in the 1st test was replacing Te'o for Sexton when chasing the game and shifting Farrell to 12. So I would keep Farrell at 10, but replace him in the 2nd half with Sexton.

I actually see 10 as a bit of a worry for us. A midfield of Farrell, Teo and Davies is too one dimensional IMO, they're all looking for inside shoulders more often than not. I thought Davies was outstanding on Saturday mind, involved in everything the Lions did well. A form Sexton would balance that out but he's just not doing the basics well enough, even on Saturday he throws a murder of a pass in the build up to the last try in good ball. I'd have given him 40 minutes on Tuesday, personally, just to see if he can find some degree of form. The question is, do you risk it and just hope it clicks?

Only other big calls IMO are hooker and back row. Best is in a similar position to Sexton. I'd consider moving O'Brien to 6 and Warbuton in at 7 to slow their ball down a bit but again, he's lacking in match fitness.

Last edited:
It won't happen obviously, maybe Sexton who is a 10 who can work off bad ball, but to win a test it needs to, Garland won't beat this NZ side.

I'm not sure whether changing personnel will make any difference, but Gatland needs to chance his arm imo. We were blown away at the breakdown, and that for me was one of the biggest differences between the sides, clinical finishing the other. The speed of NZ's recycling was simply too quick and the Lions were lucky NZ didn't capitalize further in the the first half because of it. In contrast the Lions had to battle for everything, with players getting isolated.

With that in mind, the tight five needs a little shake-up, with mobility the priority. George had a fine game, but Owens will get himself a little more involved at the breakdown. Shame that Best's throwing is so poor, or he'd be in. Can't sacrifice the lineout though. George will offer great impact off the bench. I'd scrap both second rows, not just because both were poor, but because all the other options offer far greater mobility. Start Itoje and Lawes (Lawes has truly earn't it this tour in any case), and put Henderson on the bench. Unsure what to do with the props. The balance at tighthead is good, with Sinkler offering great impact off the bench. At loosehead, I'd only consider McGrath and Vunipola. Marler is neither intelligent enough or mobile enough. Haven't been impressed with him at all this tour outside the scrum. Back to McGrath and Vunipola, I'd consider switching them as Vunipola would add more as an impact sub, but not hugely fussed.

Back-row is a difficult one. All three were a little quiet on Sat imo, especially offensively. They were completely outplayed by their opposition, and for that reason I'd make changes. Stander and Tips should come into the 23, just not sure who should miss-out! Imo Faletau should stay at 8, he's world class and still put in a big shift on Sat, even if we didn't see him as much as we're used to in the loose. Issues at the breakdown would usually have me calling for Warbs, but he's simply not match-fit. I would always have Tipuric start, so I'll call for his inclusion again.

In the backs, I don't think the Farrell, Te'o, Davies axis works at all. Davies was the stand-out, so I'd certainly retain him, so who to play inside him? I have absolutely no idea. Despite looking out of sorts for a while, I'd start Sexton with the hope that he plays well. I'm praying for a strong showing from Henshaw on Tuesday, because I'd also like to see him at 12. His understanding with Sexton could prove crucial. Despite a strong tour, Te'o just doesn't seem to be a able to link up with anyone around him. Whether that's the support runners' faults or lack of communication from Te'o etc. I don't know, but it's simply not working atm. I don't think a single one of his bursts has resulted in a try.

I liked lots about the back three on sat, but Daly did get shown up a little too many times. I'd gamble with North. Does he deserve it? No. Even though, he's the most capable finisher, the most experienced option, the most physically imposing option we have, and on his day is truly world class. Some will argue for Nowell, but his one good game doesn't atone for his 2 dreadful ones. I'd be seriously concerned to see him up against Ione again!

So my 23 would be:

01 Jack McGrath
02 Ken Owens
03 Tadgh Furlong
04 Courtney Lawes
05 Maro Itoje
06 C. J. Stander
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Conor Murray
10 Jonathan Sexton
11 George North
12 Robbie Henshaw
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Anthony Watson
15 Liam Williams

16 Jamie George
17 Mako Vunipola
18 Kyle Sinkler
19 Iain Henderson
20 Sean O'Brien
21 Rhys Webb
22 Owen Farrell (not convinced though)
23 Eliot Daly

Probably makes to sense, and it's completely unfair on quite a few players who certainly weren't poor on the weekend (POM especially), but I fully believe we need more players with a little extra int he pack, be it Lawes' ferocious tackling, Itoje's mobility and aggression, Stander's ball carrying or Tipuric's pace and x-factor. They all bring something special to the table, which those on Sat weren't capable of. It may make no difference at all, but worth a shot imo.

Last edited:
On that Dullonien Standers stats are always near top. 100% agree areas need to be freshened but only seems to be Itoje will replace Kruis and Warburton replaces POM as changes.
Like Warburton at his peak is a great man to slow ball but he has been nowhere near that and is at best 6th in pecking order this tour

I actually see 10 as a bit of a worry for us. A midfield of Farrell, Teo and Davies is too one dimensional IMO, they're all looking for inside shoulders more often than not. I thought Davies was outstanding on Saturday mind, involved in everything the Lions did well. A form Sexton would balance that out but he's just not doing the basics well enough, even on Saturday he throws a murder of a pass in the build up to the last try in good ball. I'd have given him 40 minutes on Tuesday, personally, just to see if he can find some degree of form. The question is, do you risk it and just hope it clicks?

Only other big calls IMO are hooker and back row. Best is in a similar position to Sexton. I'd consider moving O'Brien to 6 and Warbuton in at 7 to slow their ball down a bit but again, he's lacking in match fitness.

The trouble is there is no nowhere to go with backs selection. Gatland nailed his colours to the mast early on re: Warrenball, and has no Plan B (how familiar does that sentence sound Wales fans...). I'd previously been calling for a Sexton-Farrell double playmaker situation, but when Sexton came on it looked like the two had barely trained together; clearly that's not an option, so it's one of the above at 10 and Teo-Davies.

The ****** up thing is, individually speaking, the two centres were among the best players on the pitch for the Lions, both played excellently in defence and attack - but as a combo, they don't offer enough.

Saying that, it's all window dressing, the real issue is how the pack got outplayed. That's where we were supposed to supposedly have an advantage, if we believed the hype (which I don't think many of us here really bought into to be fair). Problem is now we have nowhere else to go. What changes are we going to make that are going to stem the tide next game? I just don't see it - maybe McGrath as a stronger scrummager, but we instantly lose impact in the loose. Itoje is better than AWJ and Kruis surely can't paly that poorly again, but even with Krutoje at their best I don't think that's going to make enough impact on the battle up front. Whatever we strengthen, we are giving away too much elsewhere

I'm not sure whether changing personnel will make any difference, but Gatland needs to chance his arm imo. We were blown away at the breakdown, and that for me was one of the biggest differences between the sides, clinical finishing the other. The speed of NZ's recycling was simply too quick and the Lions were lucky NZ didn't capitalize further in the the first half because of it. In contrast the Lions had to battle for everything, with players getting isolated.

With that in mind, the tight five needs a little shake-up, with mobility the priority. George had a fine game, but Owens will get himself a little more involved at the breakdown. Shame that Best's throwing is so poor, or he'd be in. Can't sacrifice the lineout though. George will offer great impact off the bench. I'd scrap both second rows, not just because both were poor, but because all the other options offer far greater mobility. Start Itoje and Lawes (Lawes has truly earn't it this tour in any case), and put Henderson on the bench. Unsure what to do with the props. The balance at tighthead is good, with Sinkler offering great impact off the bench. At loosehead, I'd only consider McGrath and Vunipola. Marler is neither intelligent enough or mobile enough. Haven't been impressed with him at all this tour outside the scrum. Back to McGrath and Vunipola, I'd consider switching them as Vunipola would add more as an impact sub, but not hugely fussed.

Back-row is a difficult one. All three were a little quiet on Sat imo, especially offensively. They were completely outplayed by their opposition, and for that reason I'd make changes. Stander and Tips should come into the 23, just not sure who should miss-out! Imo Faletau should stay at 8, he's world class and still put in a big shift on Sat, even if we didn't see him as much as we're used to in the loose. Issues at the breakdown would usually have me calling for Warbs, but he's simply not match-fit. I would always have Tipuric start, so I'll call for his inclusion again.

In the backs, I don't think the Farrell, Te'o, Davies axis works at all. Davies was the stand-out, so I'd certainly retain him, so who to play inside him? I have absolutely no idea. Despite looking out of sorts for a while, I'd start Sexton with the hope that he plays well. I'm praying for a strong showing from Henshaw on Tuesday, because I'd also like to see him at 12. His understanding with Sexton could prove crucial. Despite a strong tour, Te'o just doesn't seem to be a able to link up with anyone around him. Whether that's the support runners' faults or lack of communication from Te'o etc. I don't know, but it's simply not working atm. I don't think a single one of his bursts has resulted in a try.

I liked lots about the back three on sat, but Daly did get shown up a little too many times. I'd gamble with North. Does he deserve it? No. Even though, he's the most capable finisher, the most experienced option, the most physically imposing option we have, and on his day is truly world class. Some will argue for Nowell, but his one good game doesn't atone for his 2 dreadful ones. I'd be seriously concerned to see him up against Ione again!

So my 23 would be:

01 Jack McGrath
02 Ken Owens
03 Tadgh Furlong
04 Courtney Lawes
05 Maro Itoje
06 C. J. Stander
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Conor Murray
10 Jonathan Sexton
11 George North
12 Robbie Henshaw
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Anthony Watson
15 Liam Williams

16 Jamie George
17 Mako Vunipola
18 Kyle Sinkler
19 Iain Henderson
20 Sean O'Brien
21 Rhys Webb
22 Owen Farrell (not convinced though)
23 Eliot Daly

Probably makes to sense, and it's completely unfair on quite a few players who certainly weren't poor on the weekend (POM especially), but I fully believe we need more players with a little extra int he pack, be it Lawes' ferocious tackling, Itoje's mobility and aggression, Stander's ball carrying or Tipuric's pace and x-factor. They all bring something special to the table, which those on Sat weren't capable of. It may make no difference at all, but worth a shot imo.

I'd go along with most of your selection although I think it's a bit harsh on Kruis who wasn't the only one who struggled and up until Saturday was having a very good tour. I'd give him another shot and keep Henderson out for the time being. If Sexton doesn't deliver in this test then he has to drop out of the 23 for the final test. Really hope Russell and G Davies get a run out on Tuesday although I'm sure Biggar will get the nod if Sexton drops out.

On that Dullonien Standers stats are always near top. 100% agree areas need to be freshened but only seems to be Itoje will replace Kruis and Warburton replaces POM as changes.
Like Warburton at his peak is a great man to slow ball but he has been nowhere near that and is at best 6th in pecking order this tour

Warburton shouldn't have gone in the first place. They clearly underestimated or miscalculated his return to fitness and form. His squad place should have gone to Hamish Watson who outplayed him at the breakdown at the 6N and was immense against Australia. Tipuric has to take his place in the second test.

Warburton shouldn't have gone in the first place. They clearly underestimated or miscalculated his return to fitness and form. His squad place should have gone to Hamish Watson who outplayed him at the breakdown at the 6N and was immense against Australia. Tipuric has to take his place in the second test.
On reflection I agree Watson was the best 7 of nations

I swear to god if AWJ and Warburton start...I dunno, scream really loudly probably as I can't punch Gatland in the face from here.

I swear to god if AWJ and Warburton start...I dunno, scream really loudly probably as I can't punch Gatland in the face from here.

Don't rule out 1/2P starting either with Williams being moved to the wing in place of Daly.

Gats has some difficult decisions here, especially up front. The whole tour lives or dies on this result, and if we are going to be beaten I'd rather go down knowing that we'd given it a proper lash. Not a time to die wondering. So....

1. Marler. Said 1,000 times that Mako's best from the bench. Nothing's changed. Marler's a bolshy git and we definitely need much more of that. Could of course backfire badly. McGrath would be fine and maybe the safer option.

2. George. Best of a mediocre bunch, did nothing to warrant being dropped.

3. Sinckler. But of a risk, but he can make a difference, let's see if he can do it while the game's still live. "Impact" players are pointless if they only get 20 minutes when the result's already decided.

4. Lawes. Totally deserved and another who adds physicality.

5. Kruis. Couple of bad mistakes, but a fair bit of good in there too. He'll be motivated.

6. Itoje. Element of getting the best players on the pitch here, but why not? Are other options that much better? Set him loose....

7. O'Brien. Needs help, can't do it all himself.

8. Faletau. Going well, but can't help thinking we're missing Billy.

9. Murray, but not if box kicking is the default option.

10. Farrell. Sexton's off form so he's the only realistic choice.

11. North. Daly's not a wing. He is and on his day a world class one at that. Not a form pick, but he's proved the doubters wrong before. In these circumstances a punt worth taking.

12. Teo. Revelation of the tour so far. Round 2 vs SBW will be worth the admission money alone.

13. Daly. Extremely harsh on JD2, but this is a better balanced pairing. 13's Daly's true position. He's got gas to burn and a better all round skill set including a decent kicking game.

14. Watson. No debate. Except whether he should be at 15.

15. Williams. The creator of "that try" has to be given another shot. But I'd think the ABs would always fancy their chances against him.

Bench. Mako, Owens, Furlong, Henderson, Tips, Webb, Sexton, JD2.

So there you have it. The team that won't get picked and probably wouldn't win anyway. But I think it would put up a fight and make the ABs answer some questions. If we can't match their physicality and athleticism up front, the rest's academic. And ominously the ABs will also be looking to improve.

my pre series prediction was 3-0 to the AB's but I thought the Lions best chance was the first test. The AB's have always been a bit rusty in their first proper test of the season.

But it was really a great/comfortable win based on tactics, but I feel like they still left a lot of points begging. Many of the AB's drives up field ended in poor kicks and poor decisions, none the least of which was the poor Cruden kick and sloppy chase that set Williams away for a Lions Try. It was far from a clinical performance from the AB's and they looked to me like they still have a lot of improvement to make.

I expect the AB's to adjust their tactics a bit, The Lions are in a tough situation now where they have to come up with tactics and train to counter the AB's one off running game and offloads. But I expect the AB's to adjust their gameplan a bit and try something a bit different to catch the lions off guard again. AB's also need to improve their combinations and kick chases as well, they wont be happy with the chances they blew and the good positions they gave possession away from.

The Lineout was a major issue. We did an ok job some lineouts and preventing the mauls but our own ball was disrupted in the air and we lost key lineouts. That last 10 min when the lions were under a warning and we had a lineout near there line, had them under huge pressure, lost 2 lineouts in a row and not long after found ourselves on defense and finally gave away the constellation try. We clearly have a lot of ground to make up in the lineouts.

losing bender and Crotty does disrupt things a lot. bender is such a critical player, hasn't had much rugby recently and would have been set to build into this series and I think he started well. Dmac being called in probably suggests he will miss the last two tests. Crotty is staying with the squad which suggests he may make it back for the final game but that will be a stretch.

For me the Lions selection needs to address two areas: the breakdown and the physicality.

The front row I thought performed reasonably well. I would not be against Marler starting as he's had a better tour and started to look like a rock solid international prop since the last World Cup. Equally I thought Sinclair played well when he came on but he's a nice option to come on after 50.

Second Row is the key for me. I'd combine Lawes and Itoje because they just do not take a backward step, both have agility and pace and both can play in the back row, which makes them a real threat at the breakdown. Given their physicality, I would then feel it makes room to include Justin Tipuric. This guy looked sensational last midweek game and he's someone who can cause havoc at the breakdown with his speed and also really does link well. I'd have him at 7 and move SOB to 6, which is his natural position. Faletau probably gets the nod at 8 but I don't think he's on top form if I'm being super critical and I think CJ Stander would relish a crack at the ABs and I'd love to see him at no.8 as his natural game looks made for it IMO. He deserves to be on the bench at least though, above Warburton.

The backs did pretty well last week but I think Henshaw at 12 with Teo outside him may work better than Teo-Davis. I'd be tempted to play Halfpenny at 15 because I think Farrells kicking has looked atrocious all tour and also because I could see Sexton starting with Murray given how well they combine.

So in summary, my changes:

4.Lawes
5.Itoje
6.OBrien
7.Tipuric

10.Sexton
12. Henshaw
13.Teo

15. Halfpenny

Impact players to earn a place on bench:

Stander
Liam Williams
Farrell
Joseph/Davis

I dont get the Sexton comments... the Game distribution wise in phased play was not geared in any way for a 2 playmaker role, they didnt look like they'd trained, whereas Farrell had Te'o taking the crash balls outside him, so if you're going to play that way, at least Farrell had the options to use it effectively. The guy is a class act however and one thing I noticed big time was his kicking out of hand, which was sublime, especially off penalties. He had the stones to make some big touchfinders, whereas Farrell seemed to be very very conservative for the most part, and you have to back yourself to do more than a bog standard club player in nearly every facet of your game when at this level. Playing it safe is playing it sub-standard, and that is just not acceptable to me

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40401272

BBC suggesting Maro and Sam set to come into the side based on Gatland's comments. For who, not quite clear yet. Hopefully Maro for AWJ. Sam - probably for POM, who would be retained on the bench I would have thought.

Apparently Warburton impressed when he came on...

Actually it seems like Guscott for once is more in tune with those watching at home: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40393152

He suggests Itoje for AWJ with Henderson and Stander coming onto the bench for Warbs and AWJ.

Latest posts