• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Slightly off topic but should the All Blacks win this test, which they almost certainly will, this is the team I'd like to see the ABs put out for the 3rd Test for some real experimentation:

1. Moody
2. Taylor
3. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Barrett
6. Kaino
7. Savea
8. Read (c)
9. Perenara
10. Barrett, B
11. Ioane, R
12. Laumape
13. ALB
14. Naholo
15. Barrett, J

16. Harris
17. Tu'ungfasi
18. Faumaina
19. Fifita
20. Ioane, A
21. Smith
22. McKenzie
23. SBW

Easy win for the Lions.

Genge to score the winning try.

Gatland going to bring himself on and own the NZ front row.

Up the Lions.

I think Henderson's weakness in the line out is enough to see him miss out. Wish he'd been played at 6, especially once it became clear Stander was seen as an 8.

My TEST 23:

1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Kruis
6. Itoje
7. Tipuric
8.Faluetu

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Watson
12. Farrell
13. Davies
14. Nowell
15. Williams

16. Best
17. McGrath
18. Sinkler
19. POM
20. Warburton
21. Davies (please not Laidlaw)
22. Biggar
23. Daly

Be Bold Gats! Play with 2 Outside Halves!

Play Henderson, play Itoje at 6! Play with two back rows on the bench and shift Itoje to second row! But please don't play the turtle Laidlaw!!!!

Last edited:
Tobes I like your test team Gatland will never play it but at least we know what the best team (out of these players) looks like.

Is it Thursday we looking at teams being named or tomorrow night for us in Ireland and UK like last week

hope the ABs change the lineout calls to visual queues and then start shouting during the lions lineouts

At some stage in this test I would love to see Perenara, Beaudy, Laumape and Jordie all on the field at the same time playing their true positions. I would also have Fifita replace Kaino for at least the last 30 minutes, with Ardie as open flanker. The skills of those players is a sight to behold and it mainly comes down to familiarity and combinations. They are all well proven finishers and very hard for the defence to keep tabs on. The 'Canes produced Umaga and Nonu to become AB legends - Laumape is better than both of them. While SBW is making a few metres, flicking out a pass as he falls to the ground, Laumape is also falling to the ground......TRY! While SBW is pondering who he is meant to tackle, Laumape tackles the guy with the ball! Simples. AB's by miles unless Hansen does a Henry and provides the Lions with the same to team to face.

At some stage in this test I would love to see Perenara, Beaudy, Laumape and Jordie all on the field at the same time playing their true positions. I would also have Fifita replace Kaino for at least the last 30 minutes, with Ardie as open flanker. The skills of those players is a sight to behold and it mainly comes down to familiarity and combinations. They are all well proven finishers and very hard for the defence to keep tabs on. The 'Canes produced Umaga and Nonu to become AB legends - Laumape is better than both of them. While SBW is making a few metres, flicking out a pass as he falls to the ground, Laumape is also falling to the ground......TRY! While SBW is pondering who he is meant to tackle, Laumape tackles the guy with the ball! Simples. AB's by miles unless Hansen does a Henry and provides the Lions with the same to team to face.

I'm a big one for combo's, Nonu and C smith always played better together than they ever did individually, same can generally be said for front rows, and locking combos. the 8-9 combo is almost more important than the 9-10 combo in my mind as the 8 has to know what the 9 is doing whilst he has his head buried in a scrum.

I'd like to see more thought given to that, if you have sopanga on the bench for example, maybe you start with TJP and bring smith and sopanga on at the same time.

He looked knackered in the Pro12 games before the tour, hopefully they give him loads of time off before the new season.
Not knackered more his ankle is in bits. But that is the type of guy he is. Doesn't like missing trainings or matches.

Yup, combinations are the key to success, and this happens at multiple levels and scales. Ultimately, if the forwards combine well with the backs (if the ball goes from the former to the latter in a seamless movement/without transition), the team is well and truly ready to win.

At the individual scale, we all know the Barrett brothers work well together. Their 10/15 combo is like a double-brained machine on the field. They provide play-making ability at the middle and at the back, which is precious to the Canes attack.
The 9/10 combination is deadly too. Beauden and TJ have been playing for years and years since they first met in the U20s (in 2011 I think). I don't really know whether TJ adapted his style to Beauden's, if Beauden started playing flat as a consequence of having to take flat passes, or if it's a little bit of both, but they work wonders these two.

Then we've got another combination at the ABs, one that is as vital (if not more) as the spine positions combinations (2, 8, 9, 10, 15): the midfield combination. The All Blacks had Nonu and Smith, now they've got SBW and ALB or Crotty and ALB. I think ALB plays so well and is such an empathetic rugby player that he can guess how he has to combine with another second-five/center.
What you said about Laumape v SBW is enlightening though. Sometimes, rugby doesn't have to be complicated...
But Jordie, just like Sonny Bill, often doesn't know who to tackle and the questions he asks himself are legitimate. If you don't trust your inside/outside fellow defender, who do you trust? Sometimes he'll make the wrong decision and you'll be left with two players to tackle, that's a situation no fullback wants to be confronted to. But even if that happens, you have to make sure the player you take on will be well and truly unable to pass. The rest doesn't solely depend on you.

Vunipola
George
Furlong
Itoje
Lawes
Omahoney
Warburton
Obrien
Murray
Farrell
Daly
Teo
Davies
Watson
williams
Marker
Owens
Cole
Henderson
Tipuric
Webb
Sexton
North

Moody
Taylor
Franks
Retail lick
White lock
Kano
Cane
Read
Smith
Barrett
I one
Sbw
Alb
Naholo
Dagg
Crockett
Harris
Faumuina
Barrett
Save a
Perenara
Cruden
Laumape

He looked knackered in the Pro12 games before the tour, hopefully they give him loads of time off before the new season.

Since he plays for Ireland now he'll be part of the player welfare programme so probably won't play again until October.

Marker and Cole will do better in scrum, and bench scrum needs to be good. Cole will also get turnovers late
Kruis and jones need to leave as they had no impact. In fact jones has been The worst lock on the field from either team in every game he has played.
Lawes and itoje will provide more physicality and compete at rucks. And they can carry. Henderson has carried well his last two games so is good bench option
Omahoney needs to be kept for his ability in the linouts
Warburton and obrien together are more likely to get turnovers
Oriented is their best carrier anyway so play him at 8
Tipuric from the bench to keep that breakdown presence, plus his running and tackling skills. There is plenty of cover for 6 elsewhere in the team and 8, well Warburton or itoje or omahoney if needs be.
North needs to be on the bench. He is their best impact player, who can make something happen, but hasn't been playing well enough to start

Naholo is good in the air and will cause issues for a tiring set of lions players.
Dagg is our best in the air at the moment apart from bb so a good option at fullback
Laumape a real impact player and we are a bit weak in the midfield in terms of experience. He can cover wing too.

Latest posts