• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knew the weather would level things out....and that the rain cancels out the running games of the likes of Barret...
All the more reason to have started Cruden - someone who has never lost a game he's started at 10...that's a 100 % success rate in 30-40 games as an AB...

But no, we put all our money on Barret , gambled and lost... Cruden led ( emphasis on leadership ) at 10 for the majority of the first test where we dominated and won convincingly...time to go back to that winning formula...

But we can't expect AC to come on late in the piece like he did, pick up the pieces and perform miracles,... he needs to start...

Everyone knew the weather would level things out....and that the rain cancels out the running games of the likes of Barret...
wow are u really blaming barrett for this loss?
u reckon we wouldve won with 14 men had cruden been on?
did u not see crudens first 2 kicks when he came on?

What i'm saying is we used to win all our games when Cruden started at 10...FACT

Why would you change a winning formula ?

Barret is one of the world's best fullbacks and i'd be happy if we started him there with Dagg on the wing.
It's a win win as we have doubled up defensively...and offensively with two playmakers on simultaneously.

I'd start Cruden with ALB running off him .

Reasons why the Lions will win.

1. They have the momentum.
2. The rain forecast
3. Inexperienced AB midfield
4. Inconsistent AB goal kicker
5. Lions fans
6. Style more effective

because richie left

...so we lose one leader therefore we should remove a second leader to spite ourselves... one that has captained NZU20s, captained Manawatu and captained the Chiefs....great logic that...
Barret is a great footballer but he aint no leader...advantage Lions

...so we lose one leader therefore we should remove a second leader to spite ourselves... one that has captained NZU20s, captained Manawatu and captained the Chiefs....great logic that...
Barret is a great footballer but he aint no leader...advantage Lions

sorry cruden isn't all that and nor is he a leader. He might be a captain on occasion but he's no leader that many would follow. There are loads of better leaders in the ABs. Cane, read, Kaino, Coles, whitelock
Barrett's a better attacker and can play 15.
Crudens times up. He's been surpassed. Sorry, just my opinion.

sorry cruden isn't all that and nor is he a leader. He might be a captain on occasion but he's no leader that many would follow. There are loads of better leaders in the ABs. Cane, read, Kaino, Coles, whitelock
Barrett's a better attacker and can play 15.
Crudens times up. He's been surpassed. Sorry, just my opinion.

...the last two butt kickings the Chiefs gave the Hurricanes this year might suggest otherwise...but you're entitled to your opinion no matter how deluded it may be...

Last edited:
...the last two arse kickings the Chiefs gave the Hurricanes this year might suggest otherwise...but you're entitled to your opinion no matter how deluded it may be...
Ouch. Nasty troll. No more talkin to u. Enjoy your lonely ignorance

Scott Barrett lacks aggression at times. Would rather Romano off the bench and this time keep Sam Cane on to the final whistle.

This ABs team is far from perfect and I think Hansens poor selections and favouritism has exposed us.

Scott Barrett lacks aggression at times. Would rather Romano off the bench and this time keep Sam Cane on to the final whistle.

This ABs team is far from perfect and I think Hansens poor selections and favouritism has exposed us.
or tuipolotu. I don't rate scottBarrett. Whilst he does all tight surrounded by saders I don't feel he's international level yet.

The kiwi comments are coming thick and fast and, as usual are parochial, so i'll join in. Best attacking team in Super Rugby - Hurricanes - FACT. Best defensive team in Super Rugby - Hurricanes - FACT. Holder of the Super rugby ***le - Hurricanes - FACT. I may be wrong with this but don't think so - Hurricanes never gave away a try in their three final matches last year. So I guess these guys know how to defend and know how to attack. What's wrong with the AB's in both areas?

The world player of the year holder is Beaudy who won that status playing at 10. He is a vital part of the trio - linking Perenara with Laumape and also knowing how to use Ardie, Jordie and Big Jules. So far the AB bosses have gone out of their way to stop these combinations. Shades of Henry moving Mils to centre and dropping Conrad Smith so as to lose yet another WC as red hot favourites. For Pete's sake - give Super Rugby coaches more respect. Play guys in their right positions and stop knee jerking everytime something doesn't go to plan in the way of injuries or send-offs. The world deserves to see the Hurricanes 9,10 and 11 start the test and stay on the field until the game is won! Those players deserve it even more! The Savea brothers and Fifita should also get maximum time.

Now the big challenge. I have said it before and i'll repeat it. Based purely on combinations, I wager a Hurricanes team, even without Dane Coles, would beat the "Best of the Rest XV" drawn from the NZ Super rugby franchises. None of the other AB's would worry the "Canes who are just starting to hit their straps. I know, it is easy to talk big, but as a dedicated rugby man I genuinely believe this and remain 100% certain the "Canes will retain their ***le this year.

PS. I posted an opinion about an hour before the 2nd test - guess I was drunk, it seems to have made sense!!

I already said bring back the Bus in an earlier post.
Laumape?
He played well and he's in form.
Fekitoa is tried and tried and still unproven at the top level.
His defence is strong but his attack is suspect. His option taking is suspect.
His kicking game is suspect.
How many caps do you need to show more to your game?
ALB is a starter for me in the absence of SBW.
Is Crotty fit yet?
If not, Laumape for me.
Jordie Barrett at 15.
Those Barrett boys have got some ticker.

Reading into a weak Super Rugby competition too much - FACT.

Look, the players Hansen selected ARE good players. But they are barely capped players and uncapped KIDS! These selections have exposed us and made us vulnerable.

I said it before the series and I'm saying it now, we should have gone with experience and with players we know have played at that level, you don't have to be a rugby genius to know that.

Gambling on uncapped players who have spanked awful Aussie and Safa Super Rugby teams in a pathetically designed competition and giving them debuts against a Lions side with bottomless depth is reckless. That's was one way we were potentially going to lose this test series. I don't think we will, but Jesus we're flirting with that possibility.

Enough of the arrogance of "we'll smash the Lions". More respect and smarter selections, please.

I don't mean to overreact but, we shouldn't be in this situation. It was completely avoidable.

I imagine Te'o will stay, I'd replace Nowell with JJ. If Warburton has to stay...then Tipuric should be in place of Stander who hasn't looked 100% all tour.
Tips may be more suited to this style so would agree and CJ isn't 100%.

Sadly Ground mate, your argument is the precise reason why we lose unloseable tests and World Cups. Examples are rife, but one we all know about is Henry putting Mils into centre and dropping Conrad Smith for the losing WC game. Experience means nothing if you cannot match the current pace and intensity.

If our AB management just showed some respect to Regional coaches instead of strutting their stuff and acting like they own the game, they would learn that combinations win tests. Two tests so far and we have yet to see Perenara/Barret/Laumape run together. Those three tore apart the Crusaders in the finals last year and that Crusader pack was full of AB's. This year all the "Canes are better and the fact that several of those midweek Lions they drew with now feature in the Lions Saturday team, prove my point.

I am happy to debate with anyone as long as it takes for the grog to run out - lots of experience = lots of age, wear, tear and lack of modern skills. Right now we have macho AB management who want to beat the Lions at their own game. Rubbish! Give them the set pieces and use our back forward three + plus 7 backs to mow them down. After 30 minutes those Lions forwards will be totally stuffed and ours will hardly have worked. Rugby needs creative coaching. Many times the "Canes have been behind into the 50th minute, but then the "inexperienced" guys tear the opposition apart.

All food for thought.

I think most of you are over thinking this, the ABs only just lost a game against a strong Lions team with 14 men on the paddock for most of the game, they will bounce back and win comfortably at Eden Park regardless of the range of likely selections. They will then move on to retain the Bledisloe and Rugby Championship without much trouble. Last weekend was a bump in a long straight road!

All Blacks fans- looking to gain some thoughts on the midfield battle this week.

Much talk pre-Test 2 about the gain line battle with Farrell possibly on the back foot against SBW in the battle of the 12s. Obviously it didn't get to materialise due to the sending off, and there were positive enough views on the Lions having thosee two distributor and kicking options in the 10-12 axis.

However- can Laumape do what SBW was expected to do and get hard yards and quick ball by smasing into the 12 channel this week?

As a Lions fan, my concern is that we overlook the importance of this issue based on a rose-tinted view of last week. I'd still be contemplating a Teo-Davis midfield and a physical, agile pack (Lawes in for AWJ with Henderson off the bench). The gain line and speed of ball is absolutely central to whether NZ come out at their best (which they will be looking to do) or whether the Lions negate them as well as put together their own phases.

I personally think that if the Lions could match NZ physically, which they did not do in the 1st test, they could drag NZ into an absolute nailbiter of a 3rd test. However if they get dominated physically at the breakdown and gain line, NZ could turn on the taps. Thats how crucial Laumape could be this week depending on game plans and selections.

Any thoughts?
laumape could indeed play that role. but he is inexperienced defensively. i wouldn't be surprised if fekitoa comes straight from not being in the squad into the starting lineup for his relative experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts