• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

That 2005 BOD Spear tackle.... Some thoughts 7 years later?

And call me biased but I reckon we still would have won the series 3-0 (or at the very least 2-1) such was the complete ineptness of the Lions during that tour.

*stares off into the distance remebering Carters "perfect" game*

Justice 4 Brian is why.

Also, Schalk Burger should have seen red for his gouge on Luuuuuuke,OTE]
How is Brian going to get justice again? ... when you figure that out, the White family would like "justice" for Tiny White being stretchered off after being kicked on the ground by
Springbok Jaap Bekker in 1956, and Wallaby, Paul Carroza, would like justice for his broken snozza, courtesy of Richard Loes forearm

Time to accept all of these unfortunate events behind us, and accept them as history perhaps? ... and maybe be grateful, that the laws have tightened up, so we don't see as much of this stuff as we used too?

Last edited:
And call me biased but I reckon we still would have won the series 3-0 (or at the very least 2-1) such was the complete ineptness of the Lions during that tour.

I agree. They were pretty ****.

Re the BOD incident - it should have been 2 x reds, there's no debate. If they were Australians doing the tackling I would have said the same thing. It's a contact sport, people get injured and I always try and hit my man as hard as I can when defending, but there is no malice, no intent to seriously injure and I've twice held a guy upside down preventing him from getting spear tackled. I'd be horrified if I seriously injured someone. I don't think you can say the same for Umaga and Melamu. What made the incident worse was, they did not seem contrite, the linesman was right there to see the incident and did nothing and even with all the video evidence there was no punishment. And as far as moving on as it was 7 years ago, well we are still to this day reminded regularly about Chappells underarm bowl and that was 31 years ago!

Last edited:
As previously mentioned, this is ********. Mealamu has had one serious incident in over 300 matches. Umaga has had none.

You can't say it's a fact that it's premeditated - how do you even know that they were aware the other play had O'Driscoll's leg? You don't. You can argue that it may have been intentional all you like (though, again, I'd dispute this), but to state that it's a 'simple fact' is utter shite.

Yeah I wouldn't say either player had a bad rep as a dirty player. And although I wouldn't say it was intentional or premeditated, they could have done a lot more to prevent him getting dumped like that.

Biased :) sorry but 13 were not going to beat 15

It's certainly possible NZ could still have won the series but losing first choice hooker, captain & centre (both world class players) as well as losing the first test would have been a game changer for sure. The second test was 21-13 at HT and Umaga had been a key figure in making line-breaks. Had justice ( :) ) been served it would have made for a much closer and likely much more competitive series even with the Lions losing the inspirational O'Driscoll.

Last edited:
Biased :) sorry but 13 were not going to beat 15

It's certainly possible NZ could still have won the series but losing first choice hooker, captain & centre (both world class players) as well as losing the first test would have been a game changer for sure. The second test was 21-13 at HT and Umaga had been a key figure in making line-breaks. Had justice ( :) ) been served it would have made for a much closer and likely much more competitive series even with the Lions losing the inspirational O'Driscoll.

**** YAWN ****

FFS - GET OVER IT!

NOTE: TO ALL KIWI POSTERS - Just don't respond to the trolls, and this thread will die a natural death.

I'm only here for the flaming torches and the half time booze.

What we lack in rugby skill we make up for tantrum throwing skills and samurai ethics in our devotion to our great leader

I love the Lions. There's always something massively memorable to take away from each tour.

I love the Lions. There's always something massively memorable to take away from each tour.

Like lots of foul play from the SANZAR nations. There's something about a Lions shirt which makes SANZAR players become nasty.

There's something about a Lions jersey which attracts loads of nasty foul play from the SANZAR nations.

1997 - Some journeyman South African club lock (Marius Bosman) stamps on Doddie Weir's knee and ends his tour.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b3zr2HJv6BE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

2001 - Duncan McRae pummels Ronan O'Gara

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Oj-F0NyHt7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

2001 - Nathan Grey elbows Richard Hill in the head and knocks him out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sw9JYNPg4Z4#t=305" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

2005 - The Brian O'Driscoll spear tackle

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OsXJyDHFKn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

2009 - Schalk Burger eye gouge on Fitzgerald

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_rM0W-GSBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6AjnmPNOn6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Or that it showcases the very best players playing some great rugby. '97 Second Test, '01 First Test, '09 All 3 Tests. All of those great games of rugby. That is what we should look forward to. Not ***** about past injustices, they're totally irrelevant.

Or that it showcases the very best players playing some great rugby. '97 Second Test, '01 First Test, '09 All 3 Tests. All of those great games of rugby. That is what we should look forward to. Not ***** about past injustices, they're totally irrelevant.

Don't bottle it now we were about to win the internetz!!

Latest posts