• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Autopsy thread: Which England team members are for the chopping block?

I'm probably the minority, but the Vunipola thing really ****** me off, I think if you win like a team, you lose like a team, I would never have Billy back in the England team IF I was the coach.. So be thankful I'm not

Yeah - should be chosen match by match, and certainly nothing more permanent than one international window.

Is there any precedent for choosing 5 different captains for the 6N, seeing how each does in the heat of battle and choosing one of those for the autumn series?

Probably a bit of an off -the-wall idea that one, but do agree in general that a) captaincy should not be guaranteed to anyone much as goalkicking or playing second row should not be guaranteed to anyone; and b) the leadership group is more important than the individual captain.

Who do people see as the candidates for the leadership group? Robshaw, presumably. Launchbury. Burgess if he earns a squad place (as a blindside). Brown perhaps? Anyone else?

I don't believe any English players or management should be dropped. People make mistakes and in my opinion England still have great potential for future big games to turn things round. Lancaster has done great things for English rugby with a few mistakes also, but that's expected. The guy is only human. Wales have had their headaches over the years with changing coaches and it frustrated the hell out of me. Even Gatland has made blunders but he has also made some brave desisions and they have paid off. I say give Lancaster the rest of his contract time and see where it takes England and then make a choice on keeping him or not! ;-)

Have you met valleycommando? I think you'd get along well :p
Maybe maybe not, but I still think English rugby has great potential and great players. There's always the next World cup! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Well England beat Wales on their last two meetings and came second in the last 6 nations only on points difference. That was probably the best 6 nations I've seen in a long time and Wales came third. Yes I like watching Wales win, but I also appreciate watching other teams and their skills.

Just because a team doesn't win every game doesn't make them a bad side. It just means there are better sides on the day that have beaten them. Lancaster has selected very good players for this world cup and unfortunately one or two of them made a couple of bad decisions. That doesn't make them a bad side. we can all say our teams are poor and need replacing every time they loose. I've sat in my armchair pulling out my hair and screamed at the tv with Wales on many occasions especially the last England v Wales game at Cardiff. I could say that we threw that game away and maybe we did, but England pulled off a gutsy win and credit to them. They were also under a lot of pressure to.

Just because a team doesn't win every game doesn't make them a bad side. It just means there are better sides on the day that have beaten them. Lancaster has selected very good players for this world cup and unfortunately one or two of them made a couple of bad decisions. That doesn't make them a bad side. we can all say our teams are poor and need replacing every time they loose. I've sat in my armchair pulling out my hair and screamed at the tv with Wales on many occasions especially the last England v Wales game at Cardiff. I could say that we threw that game away and maybe we did, but England pulled off a gutsy win and credit to them. They were also under a lot of pressure to.

It's a more long term and wide ranging issue with his - and please forgive the quotes now - "coaching" and "selection" and "gameplan" strategies than this WC result that has native fans of the side sharpening their knives.

No, not knives. Not axes either. Frikkin greatswords. Maybe Ultima Weapons.

Keeping Lancaster and/or any of the current coaching team is anathema to anyone that has followed the team during his reign. Beyond a freak result against NZ in 2012, little has happened. Young squad, fine. Young squad that could have been addressing the ever present problems from 2-3 years ago but chose not to for whatever ****ing reason, (and even omitted players that may have assisted this in the name of culture) not fine.

Get rid of the coaches. Keep the team but get the players that ought to have been earning caps 2+ years ago into the squad for mentoring ASAP. Rats came up with a disgustingly good team earlier and even had some sort of plan about how to utilise or blood it. Something that Lancaster has lacked throughout his tenure. Every time a problem occurs the side seems to revert to defence at all costs without the pack to back it up. And I, for one, am sick of it. If the plan is defence at all costs then whatever. At least there's a damn plan. But bloody stick to it instead of rearranging the whole backline all the time.

Last edited:
It's a more long term and wide ranging issue with his - and please forgive the quotes now - "coaching" and "selection" and "gameplan" strategies than this WC result that has native fans of the side sharpening their knives.

No, not knives. Not axes either. Frikkin greatswords. Maybe Ultima Weapons.

Keeping Lancaster and/or any of the current coaching team is anathema to anyone that has followed the team during his reign. Beyond a freak result against NZ in 2012, little has happened. Young squad, fine. Young squad that could have been addressing the ever present problems from 2-3 years ago but chose not to for whatever ****ing reason, (and even omitted players that may have assisted this in the name of culture) not fine.

Get rid of the coaches. Keep the team but get the players that ought to have been earning caps 2+ years ago into the squad for mentoring ASAP. Rats came up with a disgustingly good team earlier and even had some sort of plan about how to utilise or blood it. Something that Lancaster has lacked throughout his tenure. Every time a problem occurs the side seems to revert to defence at all costs without the pack to back it up. And I, for one, am sick of it. If the plan is defence at all costs then whatever. At least there's a damn plan. But bloody stick to it instead of rearranging the whole backline all the time.
So who do you think should be the next England coach. England have the cash so anyone is within their grasp?

So who do you think should be the next England coach. England have the cash so anyone is within their grasp?

ATM I would rather have a Gibbon with a clip board than Lancaster.

So pretty much every coach in the business other than Mallinder.

Whoever they get let's hope they don't spend 4 years playing expansive rugby only to go ultra conservative come the world cup

Latest posts