• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019] Typhoon Hagibis - Discussion Thread

What a shame this is ruining such a exciting competition. Of course there are more important things than Rugby. Even i am saying that. More sensible decisions need to be taken tbh.

10jaj2zc9xr31.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50011693

Well would ya look at that

Can't describe how happy it makes me the see the media actually get shown up for their constant and blatant misquoting.
Pardon me but didn't Mr Jones also say "that the Typhoon Gods were smiling on England". Crass insensitivity as thousands of English supporters had just travelled half way around the World. Many of them a once in a lifetime journey to see their country playing in a World Cup. He also seems to be oblivious to damage to Rugby's image. If any player behaved in this manner it would classed as bringing the game into disrepute. Leave the journos alone to persue the untouchables at World Rugby.

Eddie Jones has just stoked up more trouble for England. If England win the competition you can hear it. You played one less game than everyone else. He and Hansen should have insisted their games were played, and been seen to have insisted instead of directing his juvenile remarks at Scotland.

Just for the record. I'm English. And because I'm English I want to win fairly, with the opposition at full strength.

Pardon me but didn't Mr Jones also say "that the Typhoon Gods were smiling on England". Crass insensitivity as thousands of English supporters had just travelled half way around the World. Many of them a once in a lifetime journey to see their country playing in a World Cup. He also seems to be oblivious to damage to Rugby's image. If any player behaved in this manner it would classed as bringing the game into disrepute. Leave the journos alone to persue the untouchables at World Rugby.

Eddie Jones has just stoked up more trouble for England. If England win the competition you can hear it. You played one less game than everyone else. He and Hansen should have insisted their games were played, and been seen to have insisted instead of directing his juvenile remarks at Scotland.

Just for the record. I'm English. And because I'm English I want to win fairly, with the opposition at full strength.
Don't get me wrong, he's said more than his fair share of stupid things, but every coach in this tournament has been misconstrued constantly and it's getting a bit ridiculous (although it's not any better the rest of the time either).

The way people talk about things coaches/players say always confuses me, they never come out and say these things in isolation, they're asked questions about them and they don't have a choice whether or not they get to answer.

And it's not his job to insist on the game being played either, he's a coach. How the typhoon his handled is entirely separate to him. It's up to the administrators to deal with this, not the coach.

my bad, was thinking about our game against Canada. All the rugby is blurring into one.

Blurring into one can happen to anybody when binge watching RWC. But it's only once every four years, so enjoy!

Don't get me wrong, he's said more than his fair share of stupid things, but every coach in this tournament has been misconstrued constantly and it's getting a bit ridiculous (although it's not any better the rest of the time either).

The way people talk about things coaches/players say always confuses me, they never come out and say these things in isolation, they're asked questions about them and they don't have a choice whether or not they get to answer.

And it's not his job to insist on the game being played either, he's a coach. How the typhoon his handled is entirely separate to him. It's up to the administrators to deal with this, not the coach.
This is where you and I differ. Your great man Willie John is one of my all time heroes. Hard as nails but honest. Hearing him speak about having the soil underneath your nails and never forgetting where you come from, about YOUR values, who YOU are, really resonates with me. If, as you suggest, being a coach and Rugby are about gaining an unfair advantage, rather than producing your own advantage then you can keep both. I don't think you are right. A great team talk by Jim Telfer to the 1997 Lions about honest men looking at themselves is more Rugby. Have you considered supporting a soccer team? It seems to be more in keeping with your values.

As far as i can see, only the Ireland and Wales games are safe from the typhoon. The possibility of more games being cancelled is very real.

Was it intentional to respond to his post complaining about people's words being misconstrued to make them look bad by misconstruing his words to make him look bad?
Sorry Sir. But I was provoked. I'll try and moderate my language and refrain from using the s word. Again forgive me but are the RFU fond of quoting "Rugby's core values" at every opportunity. Does that not include their coaches. Perhaps I would be better saying the spirit of the game.

If I may quote W J Carey
"Rugby Football is a game for gentlemen in all classes, but for no bad sportsman in any class".

I'm sorry but who are the All Blacks to 'accept' a later match? They're competitors, not f***ing organisers.

I'd have sympathy for the shorter turnaround thing except that they weren't even in the quarter finals until after this game. You can't cancel a quarter final because you'll be at a disadvantage for a semi.

If they did offer to play on Friday and world rugby said no then that's just (unsurprisingly) dumb from WR, but this does look like a team basically making a decision that sends themselves through to a round they hadn't qualified for yet, which is just wrong.
if indeed there is any truth to the rumours, then yeah it's total shitburgers.

but i would expect such rumours, so the fact they exist doesn't give me any indication to their likelihood. I would have guessed the All Blacks wanted to play; otherwise, come next week, it will be 5 weeks since their top team has played. A team that has basically 4 games together, given how different they are from other recent incarnation of the All Blacks. Wales wanted to field their best team against Fiji, and Australia against Georgia, as other examples that lend toward ti being a good idea to give the top team some game time going into the quarters. Not to mention 2007 when the All Blacks went in undercooked; Steve Hansen was on the coaching staff then too. I'm not saying I think the All Blacks not wanting to play on Monday is definitely false, I just have strong doubts and think they should remain innocent until proven guilty.
This tournament was barely fair in the first place
I agree, I think it favours tier 1 teams If you think of the word cup as a competition between each country's best teams, rather than best 31 man squads. Because tier 2 teams don't have the advantage of resting players from their top team, for example the tier 2 teams with competitive top sides, Fiji and Japan. Fiji, while they played awfully, showed they couldn't afford to rest their top players against Uruguay. Japan know they can't so don't even consider the option.

It goes further than this too. You don't see tier 1 teams having to play other tier 1 teams within a short turnaround. So, generally, they can rest players for games when they have short turnarounds. So it would seem fair to me to schedule the games for the likes of Fiji and Japan such that they don't get short turnarounds at all.

if indeed there is any truth to the rumours, then yeah it's total shitburgers.

but i would expect such rumours, so the fact they exist doesn't give me any indication to their likelihood. I would have guessed the All Blacks wanted to play; otherwise, come next week, it will be 5 weeks since their top team has played. A team that has basically 4 games together, given how different they are from other recent incarnation of the All Blacks. Wales wanted to field their best team against Fiji, and Australia against Georgia, as other examples that lend toward ti being a good idea to give the top team some game time going into the quarters. Not to mention 2007 when the All Blacks went in undercooked; Steve Hansen was on the coaching staff then too. I'm not saying I think the All Blacks not wanting to play on Monday is definitely false, I just have strong doubts and think they should remain innocent until proven guilty.

I agree, I think it favours tier 1 teams If you think of the word cup as a competition between each country's best teams, rather than best 31 man squads. Because tier 2 teams don't have the advantage of resting players from their top team, for example the tier 2 teams with competitive top sides, Fiji and Japan. Fiji, while they played awfully, showed they couldn't afford to rest their top players against Uruguay. Japan know they can't so don't even consider the option.

It goes further than this too. You don't see tier 1 teams having to play other tier 1 teams within a short turnaround. So, generally, they can rest players for games when they have short turnarounds. So it would seem fair to me to schedule the games for the likes of Fiji and Japan such that they don't get short turnarounds at all.
Your right with regards to favouring tier 1 teams but isnt lack of depth a part of what makes some teams tier 2, that comes from not high level comps in their countries meaning the players are spread out and they dont have the depth available to pick from. On turn arounds im in 2 minds i get the they have less depth so lets even it up abit but it seems unfair to give tier 2 teams preferential treatment. Most have no chance of getting through from the start so they have to pick their battles and most tier 2 know they only have 4 games to play.

For me the short turn arounds are to help the tier 2 teams anyways so the likes of england cant fields i full first team for every game.

Yes i know this has nothing to do with the typhoon so i wont go on anymore.

Any updates and how bad it is and any changes to its path?

Are you people for real ? There's a typhoon in Japan, and you're worried about what EJ said ?

Latest posts