• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Bloodyslow the "epitomy" of Rugby!

You don't understand. What I mean is that if any code is being concentrated on it's rugby Union. League can't take off right now. Union is just farther ahead.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Aug 22 2004, 04:28 AM
Absolutely, league is just as likely to take off as union at the moment.
In Canada????

I'll assume that you mean somewhere else, because that is like saying that lacrosse has the same chance as rowing in England.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Aug 22 2004, 03:01 PM
That's an abysmal example Geoff; they're as popular as each other.
Isn't rowing at least played(do you "play" rowing?) in schools? Whereas lacrosse is virtually unheard of?

Both are restricted to private schools and colleges as well as university in the South of the country, whereas they are as (un)popular as each other.

Bad example then. My point is that League is unknown in Canada, whereas Union is gaining popularity as a school sport in all schools (not just private) as a cheaper alternative to gridiron. In 15-20 years, when all of us who are in school now are adults, Union should be far more popular across the board in Canada. Right now, even cricket and aussie rules are more popular games than league in Canada.

Perhaps, the problem being that Canada has only a population of 30 million, and many Canadians (those who are critical to a sports success) would likely end up considering Union and League the same sport, which would be good for neither code. They'd likely end up fighting each other, and nothing would get accomplished by either side.

Originally posted by Geoff@Aug 23 2004, 10:31 AM
Canada has only a population of 30 million
Is that all? Far out I thought you guys were on the same level as the states or near abouts. Makes NZ look over populated with our 4 million. where does your 30 million live? You have such a big country, are there lots of empty spots all over the place?

If they are playing it in the schools then you are set to have a good base. All you need now is for TV coverage to increase and your national comp your gain a higher profile. The school following will ensure growth to accompany any TV exposure and what with having a small population it looks like Gridiron will not have the money in the long run to sustain a parity with the NFL in the States. So yeah, I think Rugby will steadily develop so if there is any time to make the national team it will be your generation as it looks like it will get harder and harder in the future.

League is way too small in Canada. Canadians want a sport with a decent world wide following as that is where the real glory is so they would probably invest in rugby more than league.

The Canadian style needs to introduce the flair of the individual. The percentage game based on possession is only one aspect of rugby and a bit boring at times. For rugby to have more appeal in Canada there needs to be some real superstars in the backs to stand up who capture the imagination, even if their side is losing as long as they look good. Every sport needs heroes for the people to aspire to.

We never said it was the National Game

But its apparently the 2nd fastest growing game in Canada behind Golf.

So according too my calculations Rugby has a greater chance of taking off then League - oh wait, Rugby has already has and League Hasnt

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Aug 22 2004, 05:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Aug 22 2004, 05:44 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Geoff
@Aug 23 2004, 10:31 AM
Canada has only a population of 30 million
Is that all? Far out I thought you guys were on the same level as the states or near abouts. Makes NZ look over populated with our 4 million. where does your 30 million live? You have such a big country, are there lots of empty spots all over the place? [/b]
Ya, we have about 1/10th of the States population. Because of the colder temperatures farther north, about 90% of the population lives within 150km of the USA border. If you drive north from just about anywhere in Canada it doesn't take too long to get to the wilderness. Essentially, yes there are lots of empty spaces with nothing but trees, bears, cougars, and other animals.

Lol. Yeah. Canada is like the human brain. Vast areas of unused space.

It's really stupid though overall Canada spends pitifully in sports and there's no focus like other countries. In Romania for example, children are introduced to gymnastics for their phys ed courses. See what it does, there's nearly no podiums without a Romanian on them at the Olympics. As an industrialised country, our sports aren't creating many opportunities.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 27 2004, 10:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 27 2004, 10:01 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jul 27 2004, 07:30 AM

Depends if you prefer something simplier, less demanding on the brain and less varied in play, or not............
I find it none of those three. [/b]
ohhhh ya see, its because ur too simple mate.

Yeah, no insults neh, knobhead.
<

League has ABSOLUTELY NO FUTURE in Canada or the United States. Union completely dominates over here i don't even think their is a league team anywhere in Atlantic canada or atleast i haven't heard of one. Most Canadian Rugby players think League is Ultra gay
<

It is true though that Rugby Union is growing very fast in Canada and we are going to be making a huge jump in the next 15 to 20 years.

Latest posts