• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The English Rugby Stadium/Attendance thread

Well they physically couldn't make it bigger before, but if they are making new stands they have the ability to make the pitch wider and longer without offsetting the pitch.

Yes - the plot the stadium is built on is triangular.
So the right hand of the stand (in that picture) is actually limited by how far back it can go, not how high it can go.

As you can see on the left, here:
LeicesterStadium-ba10765.jpg

is that the current WR?

Yes - well, minus the main stand which would be the furthest from the camera.

Official Leicester looking at getting a 4G (Desso) pitch, most likely for next summer depending if we have the money.

Also Pitch will be made Longer and Wider. (Although not by Much).

Striaght from the CEO's mouth last night at the fans forum.

Good - I appreciate they can only make as big as the area they've got, but it is retardly small at the moment.

Desso is the future - don't let any plastic-merchants tell you otherwise.

Cornish stadium hits a snag. Councillours recommend rejection of Supermarket development which would have funded stadium. Could still get voted through though.

Hippy NIMBYs strike again.

C'mon when it comes to sheer stupidity nothing quite beats trying to get The Rec properly developed.

C'mon when it comes to sheer stupidity nothing quite beats trying to get The Rec properly developed.

Sorry but the Rec is in the wrong place in the professional era! It is a gray central location but it is never and should never be a stadium!!

Any "stadium" build would retain the current temporary stand - so I'm not sure what the communal park has to do with it.

Surely that's a reason to build better parking in Bath, not a reason to not develop the rec?

I really don't understand Bath Rugby's and the fans insistence on staying at the Rec. Yes it's a nice location and the "history" and all that. However let's be honest nothing is ever going to happen there, the council and the opposition are as stubborn as ever. Craig should really stick it to them. The only thing holding Bath as a club is the stadium situation.

Better to cut your losses and build a new stadium where you can have a sustainable future.

I really don't understand Bath Rugby's and the fans insistence on staying at the Rec. Yes it's a nice location and the "history" and all that. However let's be honest nothing is ever going to happen there, the council and the opposition are as stubborn as ever. Craig should really stick it to them. The only thing holding Bath as a club is the stadium situation.

Better to cut your losses and build a new stadium where you can have a sustainable future.
First off it's part of the clubs and cities identity and that counts for a lot.

I believe they have the backing of council, rec charity committee and vast majority of residents. It's a few do-gooders that are stopping this from happening "oh no it's charity ground and we don't care about rugby, city economy or anything else for that matter".

The parking....eh only a fool tries to drives into Bath use the park and rides instead (unsure if they are bad for evening games).

Lastly where would you build a stadium? Honestly look at the topography of the area surrounding bath (it's in a valley) I don't think it's that easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Evening matches have extended times for park and ride

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/parking-and-travel/park-and-ride

So yeah having used the services in the past during extremely busy periods (Bath Christmas Market+Rugby game = hell) I'd say they have ample parking.

Lastly where would you build a stadium? Honestly look at the topography of the area surrounding bath (it's in a valley) I don't think it's .

Plenty of room around Cirencester!!!!!!

Plenty of room around Cirencester!!!!!!
So you'll move a team who's support generally comes from Somerset/Wiltshire further into Gloucestershire which already has it's team?

You ever considered that the Rec's location is largely responsible for the club's popularity?

Worked for Wasps!!!!!!

What?

The two situations are not in any way comparable - for one the Rec is one of 5 stadiums (6 if you include Sandy Park) which is consistently close to sold out and very often overbooked.
It also only requires a moderate increase in capacity to reach an appropriate level to accommodate demand - moving out of the city would almost certainly see a fall in their average attendance.

Having lived relatively close to to Bath i used to go when possible and have been back a couple of times with Montpellier and apart from the changing rooms which are very small and need attention, the rest has a cetain atmosphere.Bath rugby are one of the greats of english rugby and look to be back on the road to success with Craig.This discussion of the rec has been going on for donkies years i was first in the area in 91 and it was strong then. I believe if ever possible they should stay where they are and try as they have been doing for the last 30 yrs or so, to enlage the stadium or rebuild on the same plot. Is it not better to have a full stadium at every home game than a massive stadium half empty, the attendances in the UK are not brilliant!!! There is also a massive lose of income for restos pubs business around the city centre if Bath were they to move out of the centre. We stay at the Hilton when in Bath and its unique to be able to walk to the ground with the team from the hotel.I'm fairly sure that moving away from the Rec would lose the unique atmosphere that there is in, BARRRRTH or is it BAFFFF, still is a great place to watch rugby.

Last edited:
Of course Bath should stay at the Rec. A move would be the very last thing that should happen!!

It would be great if the council and the club could work together to do something for as you say, it is a great place to visit on match days.

Sometimes, unfortunately, people cannot differentiate me being flippant from the reality!!

Latest posts