• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The English Rugby Stadium/Attendance thread

Wonder what the players are thinking of all this ? I know we are interested in Launchbury and he wasn't signing a new contract, I can't see this being a massive drawing point for him to actually stay.

Varndell and Haskell both out of contract this year as well apparently.

Varndell and Haskell both out of contract this year as well apparently.
I don't know about Haskell but being the captain might keep him there ? What team would he move too if he didn't stay ? Saracens probably wouldn't give him enough game time Quins could be an option. Varndell could move to any team really, and I would love him at Sarries.

No guarantee he'll go - heck, no guarantee any of them will go. It's possible the situation will engender a siege mentality and group loyalty that keeps everyone. It's possible that guys like Mullan, Cannon, Goode (expiring contract) might welcome a move to the Midlands anyway. And yeah, in Hask's case, being captain will help.

But he won't be short of options. LI probably have salary cap space and have ambitions. Sarries probably wouldn't fit you're right, unless there's a surprising clear out coming - Quins I think are too tight to the salary cap to start drafting in big names from elsewhere.

But - if you're leaving London anyway, why not decide to go to a big 4 club, a club that really offers him a chance to fill up on silverware and boost his chances for more international places? I think he'd improve the 23 at both Saints and Leicester. Or maybe he'll decide that in a long term minded England set-up, his age makes hanging around post-World Cup pointless, and decide it's time to see the world again.

Lots of options. Lots of options for all of them - Varndell is another guy who'd get big bucks elsewhere and doesn't have an England career to protect, although he does have a Premiership tries record to grab.

Reading the Wasps forum, apparently the players weren't told - is that relevant to them suddenly putting in the worst and most disjointed performance of the season as the rumours started to break?

Are they still keeping their old training base?
Myall only went to Wasps because his fiancee got a job in the city.
Haskell seems wasps through and through, despite the foreign sabattical, but he's got a lot of out-of/post rugby business stuff going so might want to stick close to London.
Hopefully Varndell fancies some time in France before he beats Cuetos record :D

Does seem very sh*tty that the players only know as much as us.

One positive is that all this dicking around will make the place look less attractive to Cipriani!

Last edited:
They will keep their training base at Acton (which they share with Middlesex RFU) until they have built a new training ground locally.

How long is that going to take though? Year? Two years?

And how does someone like Haskell feel about this anyway? The majority of the guys who turned up to support them at Adams Park last week will never be seen again. Groundstaff, physios - they gonna relocate? Youth coaches? You could see a lot of fabric rip away. Will Haskell still feel this is Wasps, I guess is the question I'm asking.

I think Haskell signed a new contract when he was named captain? Not to say big money couldn't buy him out of it. Presumably he wants to stay in England until 2015 but realistically that only means for the remainder of this season. As Olly says, he's Wasps through and through but has played abroad before. Either the draw of his London based businesses or the sour taste left by watching the club he loves get f**ked for cash could drive him to leave IMO. Not sure if any other London clubs would need him, looking at their current back row strength. He has previously stated he'd like to go abroad again though.

Varndell is out of contract and you'd say he's likely to move. Promoted side or France? Seems likely.

Launchbury? He's gone IMO. Sarries are already hounding him and his contract is up. Maybe Quins can issue a grovelling apology for not giving him a full time contract?

Daly? Young guy with England hopes doesn't want to be at a messed up club. Plenty of clubs would pay him good money. Same for Simpson, their are a few clubs I can think of who lack a really consistently first choice nine.

Thats just off the top of my head. But I'm sure if I at down and had more of a think more names would appear. Either guys wont want to move from London/the South, would rather play at a club where their match days are at least vaguely near to their home/family base or, when faced with a move from London think they might as well move somewhere they can be paid more and have a better chance of winning trophies.

Promoted club? Dodgy tackling or no, there's a very short list of clubs in the Premiership that wouldn't be improved by playing Tom Varndell.

In fact, I think the list might be this:

True. But maybe the age and injury record might ward people off? Say Bristol go up (finally) I can see him fitting their nicely.

Exeter might be viewing this all with interest. Lots of players they'd be interested in at Wasp IMO.

Maybe we should divvy up the entire Wasps starting team by which team needs them most :lol:

I'm sure Glaws would appreciate Matt Mullan...

Also, I'm now rooting for Wuss to come up and put the Cockroaches in their place.

I like this game (bloody love lists).

Simpson to Exeter.

Daly and Launchbury to Quins.

Varndell to anyone.

Goode to the bar.

Haskell to...France post 2015?

Mullan to Glos.

Masi to Saints.

Etc.

Wuss getting promoted and smashing 'Wasps' would be quite some poetic justice.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wasps move is a huge gamble. Not so long ago they had a far better option available at Boreham Wood and dithered ...</p>&mdash; owenslotTheTimes (@owenslot) <a href="https://twitter.com/owenslot/status/519560728949182466">October 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Definitely can't see Hask staying past the RWC now.

Goode is loving it.

Goode's probably thinking about all the extra #coronatime he can have in the Midlands once Wasps move away from overprice London.

Goode's probably thinking about all the extra #coronatime he can have in the Midlands once Wasps move away from overprice London.

More likely to be picking bits of #corona bottle out of his face if he's planning a night out in Brum or Cov :lol:

We'll have Cittadini and Cooper-Wooley, if we're all calling dibs :p

Judging by the reaction he's getting on twitter, I suspect he might get pelted at the next Wasps game!

Did just see someone declare 'the REAL fans will follow Wasps anywhere'. Not sure how I feel about that?

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
To the @WaspsRugby fans who are upset, I understand but all will become clear and please stay with us, to the abusers you're not real fans
— Andy Goode (@AndyGoode10) October 7, 2014
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Unless by "all will become clear" he means that they are actually going to be playing home games in London somewhere then I suggest this bloke ****s himself.
Dude's been involved in the club for all of one season.

Sounds like they are starting in December.
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
I don't see how not wanting to see your club move miles away from its home, probably as part of a slightly dodgy deal so the owners can get their hands on the Ricoh Arena, is not being a 'real' fan?!

I think wasps moving will draw players in. Playing in Coventry gives players the chance to live in the lovely villages which arn't too far away.

I can't see many players leaving at all. They will be building a new base for years to come. Players will surely be drawn to that

I've just seen the RFU and PRL haven't signed off on Wasps moving, and they both need to.
It's not really surprising considering it's only been sorted today, but still a glimmer of hope. I imagine Cov RFC and Worcester Warriors (and probably the other Midlands based championship sides, maybe Tiggers and Saints too) will be having words with the RFU.

Latest posts