• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The English Rugby Stadium/Attendance thread

So that'd be Castres or Irish.

The Mad Jet Ski is a lot closer to Adam's Park than the Ricoh, so I don't think they'd get much in the way of away fans, even with the novelty of a new stadium, and I doubt there's gonna be that many Castres fans making the trip for that game.
It's a shame, for them, that their home game vs Tigers isn't until May - that'd be the perfect one.

Oxford isn't the Midlands, though. For all intents and purposes it's as hard to get to as Adam's Park.

You say that, but you (presumably) live in Wales, whereas the people who live in the West Midlands are saying the opposite....

So they're probably trying to tap into a different support base. The London based support obviously haven't been coming out in their proved to adams pram

Who's saying the opposite? The small amount who go to watch east midland sides and worcester, and/or the paltry numbers that watch the lower league sides who are never going to be promoted?

Last edited:
Obviously the London based support haven't been traveling en masse to High Wycombe.
You don't build a London fanbase by not playing in London.

I don't doubt that this is potentially going to be quite successful, it doesn't stop it from being wrong.

Wrong or not they couldn't bloody play in london!
If the london supporters loved wasps so much then they should have gone to support them. Now they won't be able to, tough...

Edit:
Even when they have events like the stinger they don't really attract many fans relatively. I say they should do what ever is best for the club, staying in adams park isn't an option, they don't want to be in the same situation they were in a few years ago and this ricoh opportunity is here now, whether it was planned long before or not as some are saying...

Last edited:
If Saracens could find a London home, there is no reason Wasps couldn't.

Nobody is saying they should stay and wither away.

But there is no reason to believe the Cockroaches' current owners definitely couldn't have kept the club in or near London or that they have tried in the slightest.

Since the move is in December 2014, what does this mean for all the season ticket holders that cannot afford the trip?

Wrong or not they couldn't bloody play in london!
If the london supporters loved wasps so much then they should have gone to support them. Now they won't be able to, tough...

1) High Wycombe is NOT London. Adams park is a poor venue and not ideal for many people - this is why for quite some time wasps fans have been holding out for a move back to actual london. Therefore as Rats said, I don't get why you're trying to judge potential attendance in London by actual attendance in Buckinghamshire. In any case, the capacity at Adams Park is the lowest of any premiership side when last I looked, so we couldn't even accommodate that many more people in the event of increased demand.

2) With Wasps seemingly on the up, with a stronger squad and better performances on the pitch, the atmosphere at the ground has been improving and attendances have been pretty good. rightly or wrongly, many people are fickle and therefore I believe more people would have attended as the club gets stronger and stronger. Many perhaps London or around who used to go but stopped a couple of season back when things got dire. This was another argument for increasing capacity while keeping it within sight of London. In other words there's no way you can claim Wasps have maxed out on their potential London/around fan-base.

3) No club should ever overlook the people who cheer on the club each week. No amount of pragmatic long-term thinking should decide that the fans of 5 / 10 / 20 / 30 years are less important than the potential new fans who perhaps at this point don't even watch rugby. Maybe they're not even born yet; that's how long-term and by extension cold and calculating it seems to long-term fans.

4) This affects players as well as fans. Guys from overseas probably signed with the draw of London in mind; there's no guarantee Wasps will be able to keep hold of key players with such a change which apparently even players have not been fully aware of. If you're Alapati Leiua with all the talent in the word and have just moved to London, would you make the same decision again if you knew you were moving from Wellington to Coventry?

Location and fan base are a key part of club identity. I presume you yourself would not be satisfied with the business argument alone if, to pursue an extreme example, Ospreys decided tomorrow to move to Abu Dhabi simply because potential attendance and financials would be stronger. Yes it's an extreme and exaggerated example but it's still the principle of business over people.

Since the move is in December 2014, what does this mean for all the season ticket holders that cannot afford the trip?

An email has been sent round offering Season ticket holders a refund on a pro rata basis.

Frankly I don't believe that there isn't an appropriate site in or around London.
There are 33 Boroughs and 5 counties to choose from.
The only site that has been mentioned by Wasps is the site that Steve Hayes wanted to turn into a shared home for WW and Wasps.

Pretty sure a large part of Gaskell and Miller signing for Cockroaches was the fact that they would be able to live in London.

Last edited:
Pretty sure a large part of Gaskell and Miller signing for Cockroaches was the fact that they would be able to live in London.

Ha yeah... your bargaining power goes down significantly when you're trying to sell coventry to a potential player...

What is actually good about Coventry? That it has a budgens? I'm not convinced that's enough...

qxulcUv.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This sums up my feelings quite well: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/09/wasps-coventry-move-london-fans-rugby-union

This is an interesting read too: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/red-button-ricoh-arena-chairman-5431948

The twitter link above did show a tweet by Andy Goode from 2 years ago saying what a "disgrace" the owners of CCFC were and that they should be "ashamed" of moving them to Northampton.
It has since been deleted! :lol:

Lots of "dedicated" Cockroaches fans seem to now be wanting to support the team. Which is rather sad, I think.
A bit like a man with a younger trophy wife whom he allows to **** other younger men. It's a bit tragic.

Quins will be licking their lips - this potentially does wonders for their academy (when the system is reviewed and in the mean time) and their expansion plans.

Someone needs to get a mega-rich London resident to buy a plot of land/club in either NW, East or SE London and invest.
It's a massive failing on the part of the RFU/PRL that there is only one Premiership club in the city proper.

Last edited:
I feel pretty sorry for Wasps fans. I am sure that I wouldn't want to travel 100 odd miles to Coventry and another 100 back again every other weekend. I have a feeling Wasps will end up playing to an almost empty stadium and will be even more reliant on the goodwill of their owners.

I would totally get a new team if I were a Wasps fan. Not necessarily because of the distance (I've never lived that close to Kingsholm), but rather the way that the owners have handled this.

It'll be interesting to see how attendances change at the other London teams next year - who will the ex-Wasps fans flock to?

Latest posts