• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The English Rugby Stadium/Attendance thread

Talking of resistance from existing clubs: http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/18451/worcester-will-fight-wasps-plan-to-relocate/

I knew I'd read about this somewhere, not just dreamt it up.

Even without a tonne of complaints, the RFU will hopefully look at the overall fan reaction and maybe have a dig around the alleged use of Wasps as a vehicle to get the Ricoh.

The rfu don't have to sign off if wasps just play their games there. It's only if they move their academy and catchment area and those things that the rfu get involved.

Tom Varndell telling fans to wait for the press conference tomorrow, should be interesting...

I think wasps moving will draw players in. Playing in Coventry gives players the chance to live in the lovely villages which arn't too far away.

I can't see many players leaving at all. They will be building a new base for years to come. Players will surely be drawn to that

I'm not being funny but if players want to live in a lovely little village, then they've probably already had the chance to move to a club offering such a thing already, probably one that already has a base and doesn't play in front of 3 men and their dog in an oversized stadium that's more of an away trip for them than it is as more of an away trip for them than it is for about a third of the Premiership.

Predictions of Armageddon are (sadly) overdone but for a couple of years at least, the split base and empty stadium is going to offer one of the worst set-ups in the Premiership. Put yourself in a player's shoes and compare that to a compact localised set-up with a passionate fanbase that get behind you in the stadium. Some players won't have options. Some will.

Tom Varndell telling fans to wait for the press conference tomorrow, should be interesting...

I'm not being funny but if players want to live in a lovely little village, then they've probably already had the chance to move to a club offering such a thing already, probably one that already has a base and doesn't play in front of 3 men and their dog in an oversized stadium that's more of an away trip for them than it is as more of an away trip for them than it is for about a third of the Premiership.

Predictions of Armageddon are (sadly) overdone but for a couple of years at least, the split base and empty stadium is going to offer one of the worst set-ups in the Premiership. Put yourself in a player's shoes and compare that to a compact localised set-up with a passionate fanbase that get behind you in the stadium. Some players won't have options. Some will.

That 'some' being all of the players in key positions, with considerable experience and the most talent.

Again, you'd think that from a club that was so recently in a terrible place they'd know better, which adds more fuel to the 'in it for the stadium' theory.

I fail to see what can come out of the news conference that will appease anyone.

Maybe thats just the line he's been ask to pedal by the club PR man?

Unless the conference message is 'We're moving to his massive, expensive stadium miles from home while we build a new one at Adams Park' I fail to see how it will appease anyone.

I imagine the conference will be along the lines of:

"Home games will still be at Adam's park!*

*This season....with some of the bigger games/euro games being shifted to the Ricoh.....we'll get back to you later WRT next season/the future. Don't worry though, we'll be running cheap coaches from Wycombe to Coventry."

Edit:
When you look at the location of the clubs around Cov, it really is just crazy that they're moving there:
BwlxFSB.png

I know Birmingham is on that top left corner and supposedly "untapped", but Birmingham, generally, ain't too fond of Coventry so it's not like they'll be swarming there for a "true West Midlands top flight side", especially when they've already got the most successful/biggest club in the Country, in Leicester, having major major roots in the whole area - basically all the way up to Stoke, where Sale's grassroots takes over.

Last edited:
I think it'll be more along the lines of "we had no choice, £30million quid can't buy a 10k stadium near London you mentalists".

I imagine the conference will be along the lines of:

"Home games will still be at Adam's park!*

*This season....with some of the bigger games/euro games being shifted to the Ricoh.....we'll get back to you later WRT next season/the future. Don't worry though, we'll be running cheap coaches from Wycombe to Coventry."

Edit:
When you look at the location of the clubs around Cov, it really is just crazy that they're moving there:
BwlxFSB.png

I know Birmingham is on that top left corner and supposedly "untapped", but Birmingham, generally, ain't too fond of Coventry so it's not like they'll be swarming there for a "true West Midlands top flight side", especially when they've already got the most successful/biggest club in the Country, in Leicester, having major major roots in the whole area - basically all the way up to Stoke, where Sale's grassroots takes over.

Add Bedford to that as well I guess?

So how many will they get to a 33,000 stadium where many of the locals may already support Worcester or Northampton?

More or less than London Welsh? Teams who are or perceived as plastic don't tend to be popular.

Yeah, that sort of thing, just I'm curious as to what excuse...

And yup, it's about the last place you'd put a pro rugby in the country short of the Severn. I mean, you can spin and say it's proper rugby country... but it's someone else's proper rugby country. Still, that's where the stadium is, shame it didn't happen somewhere like Southampton.

I could see them getting a few thousand - certainly don't think it'll be anywhere near as bad as LW - Coventry is more than twice the size of Oxford.
How successful they could be there isn't really the point though...

And Moseley.

So there moving to an area, that within perfectly acceptable driving distance, there are already three premiership and two championship teams?
Birmingham & Solihull Bees, despite their fall from grace (from Championship to getting relegated twice on the trot) have a reasonable following as well - as do Coventry RFC who have a chance of being promoted to the championship (they're league below atm, and have started the season reasonably well).

Nottingham, while a little further afield, has a decent fanbase too.

The Midlands really does have quite a few sides all within an acceptable driving distance.

At my gym this morning (in Coventry) and everyone is excited about wasps and want to go watch them!!! Lots of our clubs fans just want to watch easy rugby.

Living basically in cov is it a trek to go to the other Midlands clubs. I don't think you guys realise

Your gym is clearly full of mentalists though, because they were awake and active before 7am!

Here I am.
The loyal Wasps fan.
Just waiting for the 'official press conference'.
Hoping for some fantastical and exciting new plan to be revealed.
But really, in my heart, I feel sad.

I'm sure there are plenty of enough people in the west midlands area who want to watch top premiership rugby, and a side that plays attractive, attacking rugby.
London Welsh not being any of those, plus what self respecting Englishman wants to go watch a side called London Welsh?
The west midlands is one of the most populated areas in the Uk, i don't think they're all watching Northampton, Leicester and Worcester contrary to belief.

Staying at Adam park was not an option full stop. If they passed up on options in london then fair enough, but i don't think we know enough of the storey yet...

As some say this could be just a brief stay, like someone wrote in that forum why would they have invested so much in the playing squad if they were going to just use them as a pawn.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of enough people in the west midlands area who want to watch top premiership rugby, and a side that plays attractive, attacking rugby.
London Welsh not being any of those, plus what self respecting Englishman wants to go watch a side called London Welsh?
Oxford isn't the Midlands, though. For all intents and purposes it's as hard to get to as Adam's Park.

The west midlands is one of the most populated areas in the Uk, i don't think they're all watching Northampton, Leicester and Worcester contrary to belief.
You say that, but you (presumably) live in Wales, whereas the people who live in the West Midlands are saying the opposite....

Rugby World reports Wasps will play their first 'home' game at the Ricoh in December...

Latest posts