• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Israel Folau Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
inu is a champion in his on right!...he should go and do his mission a.s.a.p and get prepared for footy again...

the kiwis are looking strong with the level of depth we have..especially with some good halves coming through

inu is a champion in his on right!...he should go and do his mission a.s.a.p and get prepared for footy again...

the kiwis are looking strong with the level of depth we have..especially with some good halves coming through [/b]
Yep, that is something most people are forgetting or never knew in the first place. Inu is a morman and as a result must do 2 years of "service". This means not being able to play in the NRL for 2 years. I suppose he could just drop his faith but I really can't see that happening. I wonder when he'll do it.

He can do it when he retires, surely? Why bother putting his career at risk. Then again, people lose all sense of logic when it comes to religion.

i have no problem with him doing his mission next year or whenever. and im a kiwi parramatta fan so i have every reason to want the kid to put it off.... but i think if hes really serious about his religeon then i say good luck to him.... its his and only his choice to make.

exactly^^^

michael jones never played on sunday due to his religion..but still is considered one of the all time greats in rugby..he is most diffintely better than any english or welsh rugby player to date

michael jones never played on sunday due to his religion..but still is considered one of the all time greats in rugby..he is most diffintely better than any english or welsh rugby player to date [/b]

:lol:

Your petty shots are just making you seem even more infantile and a little retarded - considering they're full of ****.

exactly^^^

michael jones never played on sunday due to his religion..but still is considered one of the all time greats in rugby..he is most diffintely better than any english or welsh rugby player to date [/b]

theirmastersvoicerp1.jpg

Its still skipping...

oh is it?....like you with your skipping rope following me around the boards?

wow!...

20+ rep for your social skills!!!

gotta give credit where credit's due... Izzy played brilliantly last night. i see his future is as a centre. he looks good with more ball. only poroblem with pushing him closer to the action is you wont get to utilise his great high-ball skills.

Folau and Inu are the impending superstars - with Mateo close behind

Seriously Inu is going places

Both Inu and Folau, both mormans, both lived together - I would call it the house of GOD...or CHURCH/Mosque - whatever u have

HOW GOOD ARE THEY!!!!!!!!

The GOAT call is still on!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5-23214,00.html

Folau is the next Meninga
By Matthew Johns
August 27, 2007 I WAS on the phone to Melbourne talent scout Peter O'Sullivan on Sunday, discussing Israel Folau's five-star performance against the Bulldogs.

I've asked Sully, a man who has been responsible for Storm's amazing stockpile of young players, where Israel sat compared with the many other mega-talented footballers he has recruited, which includes players such as Billy Slater, Greg Inglis and Cooper Cronk.

O'Sullivan replied without hesitation that Folau is the best.

If that wasn't a big enough wrap, O'Sullivan went on to say, "Matty, this kid is going to be better than Mal Meninga".

I asked him to repeat it. He said again, "Israel Folau will be better than Mal".

O'Sullivan first spotted Folau at the Australian Schoolboys U15 Championships in Toowoomba.

Peter said he was tall, very gangly and, while he had talent, he didn't think he had just spotted the next Immortal.

In fact, he wasn't nearly the best player in the Queensland team.

When I asked Peter how they won the chase to sign Israel, he laughed and replied that Melbourne was the only club in the race.

It wasn't until Folau turned 16 that O'Sullivan knew Storm had signed someone very special.

That gangly frame started to fill out, his thighs now resembling tree trunks and his hips bearing an enormous power base.

While everyone at the club was marvelling at the talents of Slater, Cameron Smith and new boy Inglis, O'Sullivan knew the best was yet to come.

Leading into this season, Craig Bellamy's plan for Folau was to bring him on slowly, using the Greg Inglis blueprint.

Inglis was ready for full-time first grade probably 12 months before he became a regular, but Bellamy resisted the temptation and let him develop in the low-pressure environment of the Queensland Cup.

The problem with Folau, however, was that during the pre-season he was doing things that forced Bellamy to fast-track him.

In one training session where Cooper Cronk kicked to the corners for his wings, Folau leapt half a body length above Greg Inglis to score a try and then only a kick or two later, he did the same to Matt King.

King commented that he needed a stepladder to compete against the young lion.

Folau's form in the trial games guaranteed him a spot in the team. In the trial against Manly, he played opposite Jamie Lyon and was absolutely outstanding.

Craig Bellamy let Folau settle into first grade on the wing, where his impact was immediate.

However, it wasn't until the second half of the year, when Bellamy moved him to the centres, that Folau exploded.

Two weeks ago, Folau faced his biggest test, marking Timana Tahu, and in my opinion did the best defensive job I've ever seen anyone do on the brilliant Parramatta centre.

And, of course, Friday night his hat-trick of tries, against the Bulldogs no less, was the crowning glory of his career so far.

Friday night showcased all his talents, speed, immense strength, power, skills and awareness.

If they were to pick a squad to go on a Kangaroos tour like days gone by, young Israel would probably have got a seat on the plane to give him a taste of what lies ahead.

Israel Folau is great for our game. The similarities between him and Meninga are obvious.

Folau is going to get bigger and he's going to get better and, like Mal, he has enormous presence.

And he is just as impressive off the field. A Mormon, he doesn't drink or smoke and therefore looks unlikely to be derailed by many of the temptations that his profile will present.

In fact, at Melbourne a tradition among the players is that when someone scores their first try in first grade, in the sheds afterwards that player is handed a beer which he's expected to scull.

When Israel was handed the cold can, he blushed and turned to his father who was in the sheds. His father shook his hand and the young man settled for a Gatorade.

Israel Folau: the best is yet to come.

Do you think he'd be the Second highest paid player behind SBW allready, in his fricken Rookie year FFS!, if the players could get money from the likes of Nike or Adidas?, I tend to think so, he's that good allready.

If he stays injury free for the majority of his career...OMG what a future he has and I look forward to following it.

his problem is he is mormon which require a full year of bible crap before your 25 or 30 or something.......a full year out of the game.

it wont effect his ability IMO, but that will effect his worth

awesome young talent..if melbourne keep him and inglis they will be mad in the future

he's on what? 20 tries now? saw a bacdated game the other morning on cable while i was in bintan. he was playing against the bulldogs?

he's on what? 20 tries now? saw a bacdated game the other morning on cable while i was in bintan. he was playing against the bulldogs? [/b]

yeah last week friday night footy

scored 3 tries in 9 minutes

the 2nd most tries by an individual in period of time...mimimum 3 try count..as per David Middleton statman

ie 1 try every 3 mins

only beaten by some dude in Super League few years back with 3 tries in 7 minutes.

Source is from League unlimited

http://www.leagueunlimited.com.au/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

History will be created in windy Wellington on Sunday week when the Melbourne Storm’s Israel Folau becomes the youngest ever Australian Rugby League Test player.

His inclusion in the team yesterday caps a truly meteoric rise. And in a week in which the focus again shifted to drug and boozing footballers, in several codes, Folau is a God-fearing teetotaller!

When he dons the green and gold of the Kangaroos for the first time he will be 18 years and 194 days old â€" overtaking a record that has stood since 1911 when Charles “Chook†Fraser made his debut against England at the age of 18 years and 301 days.

Folau’s rise is as meteoric as there has ever been. He has just finished his initial season in first grade, and has yet to make his State of Origin debut, which will be for Queensland.

He has long been destined to play for Australia. Aged 16 he made the Queensland Under 19’s representative team, and last year he toured the UK with the Australian Schoolboys team.

Folau has been one of the star players in the 2007 Melbourne Storm premiership winning team. His record for his opening year was 27 matches, and 21 tries.

The Melbourne Storm coach, Craig Bellamy, has carefully nurtured Folau this year, keeping him out of the media spotlight. But that won’t be able to continue……..he is now a genuine star of the game, and will be an outstanding role model.

His inclusion to replace the injured Justin Hodges, and the addition of Dallas Johnson as the 18th man in the squad, brings to seven the Storm’s representation in the team to play New Zealand on Sunday week…….a reflection of just how dominant the Storm were in 2007.

At one stage it seemed as though Folau’s league career would be short lived, as he had planned to give the game away to undertake overseas missionary work for the Mormon Church.

But, fortunately for the Storm and for rugby league, that has been put on “hold’ indefinitely.

I am always reluctant to nominate young players as future “starsâ€. But when it comes to Israel Folau there is no need to be hesitant - at the age of 18 he qualifies as a genuine star already.

Wow good on him on becoming the youngest player. I don't know much about Australian Rugby League history but where does he stand in line for the no. of Tongans playing for the Kangaroos? I presume not many polynesians have represented Australia rugby league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts