• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
TOB and Larmour both signed on so far today.

Hopefully they can both stay fit.

And Doris now, interesting him and VDF aren't getting a CC. Presumably their choice.

And Doris now, interesting him and VDF aren't getting a CC. Presumably their choice.
I doubt it their choice.
If you offered more money, perks and a way to help your province get more high quality players (by freeing budget) then why would you say no :)

Expected to retire
• Sean Cronin
• Devin Toner

Rumoured to be Leaving
Linked with a specific club and likely to be excess to requirements
• Peter Dooley — Harlequins / Connacht
• Jack Dunne — Exeter
• Charlie Ryan — Exeter
• David Hawkshaw — Connacht
• Rory O'Loughlin — Exeter

Future is unclear
Not linked with anyone in particular
• Adam Byrne — Rumoured to be leaving, no club linked
• Conor O'Brien
• Liam Turner
• Dan Leavy
• Brian Deeny
• Martin Moloney
• Cormac Foley

Not confirmed, but expected to stay
• Dan Sheehan
• Ryan Baird
• Jonathan Sexton
• Harry Byrne
• Robbie Henshaw

I wonder what Ross staydoes for Harry Byrne. I suppose realistically Sexton has 1 more year but is Harry going to be a 12 going forward too?
Just hope it not JJ Hanrahan v2.

FWIW in the inside from what I heard Leavy is going to be taking 1 hell of a paycut to stay

I wonder what Ross staydoes for Harry Byrne. I suppose realistically Sexton has 1 more year but is Harry going to be a 12 going forward too?
Just hope it not JJ Hanrahan v2.

FWIW in the inside from what I heard Leavy is going to be taking 1 hell of a paycut to stay
it means Harry will compete with his brother for the 10 position.

Leinster making a big mistake keeping Ed Byrne over Dooley.

it means Harry will compete with his brother for the 10 position.

Leinster making a big mistake keeping Ed Byrne over Dooley.
Another year of Harry Byrne as 3rd choice 10 will see him fall away as serious contender at 10. If he is not breaking in to Leinster European squads as a 10 or reserve 10 in next 12 months he will not reach his full potential as a 10 for international level. Hence why I compare him to JJ Hanrahan.
Now only thing is Harry may try break in as a 12 but again that means ousting Henshaw but as it is with injuries and that he has not progressed as much as was previously hoped.

Another year of Harry Byrne as 3rd choice 10 will see him fall away as serious contender at 10. If he is not breaking in to Leinster European squads as a 10 or reserve 10 in next 12 months he will not reach his full potential as a 10 for international level. Hence why I compare him to JJ Hanrahan.
Now only thing is Harry may try break in as a 12 but again that means ousting Henshaw but as it is with injuries and that he has not progressed as much as was previously hoped.

some rather large assumptions being made there, Sexton is finishing up, wait and see what happens once he retires.

some rather large assumptions being made there, Sexton is finishing up, wait and see what happens once he retires.
Is it though. Johnny is staying for the RWC? So he is 100% here next year.
Ross has been #2 choice 10 and after resigning so no presumptions here.

If and yes it is an IF Harry doesn't break in playing consistently at 10 until Sexton is gone then he will be 24 and that will not be good. He could still be a good club player and yes has talent but talent needs gametime. JJ was RWC underage player of the year in 2012 as a 10. But never got consistent time at 10 and well suffered.

Now personally I can see Harry converting to a 12 and being a 12 who can cover 10 but to be honest can't see how these are large presumptions as facts are pretty clear.

Injury has stopped Harry more than Ross. This won't affect development of HB can stay fit.
I don't disagree with that but the fact is if he isn't breaking in to the top day squads for Leinster by 24 then he will not hit the ceiling that was hoped.
Yes I agree injuries played a part also but as of now it is Ross that is 2nd choice. (I must add I am a big fan of Ross and think he is underrated) but it is a crossroads and I'm not saying HB won't make it or can't or doesn't have the skills more that it is what it is. Like he won't be first or last if it doesn't work out. Obviously I hope it does.

Leinster don't announce the length as a general rule anymore. Pretty frustrating.

Baird and Sheehan also announced today, good to have these three locked up.
Sheehan looks to be the real deal and will have Kelleher removed in next 2 years.
Those 2 will be serious players though and that no ill reflection on Kelleher as he is worldclass too.
Just think Sheehan will be a higher ceiling which is crazy to have 2 that good.

Baird will be good and hopefully continue his upward progression.

Think people are making a lot of presumptions around Sheehan's potential based on his size and later emergence. There's only 9 months in age between himself and Kelleher. To be clear I think both have sky high potential but I don't think it's a given at all that Sheehan ends up as the clear number one. We're very lucky to have both as they're exactly what you want in the modern game from a hooker.

Latest posts