• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Good point snoop although maybe some may do a Leo Cullen and leave an 'average' player and return a 'class' player but i happy as an irish man leinster are spoilt for choice and have great set-up but jealous as Munster need to revisit Development of players issue,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 23 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aye tis a tough bind for a young Leinster lad coming up. It's actually quite a young team we have at present(excluding the centres and hooker) so you'd imagine that most of those boys are going to be there for a while. If I was an academy player looking for say a backrow spot I'd think "Jasus, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are still young lads. What chance do I have of breaking into the team". We may actually lose alot of outstanding talent over the next few years, hopefully to the benefit of Connacht.[/b]
From next season, I think each Irish team in the Magners League will need 6 good backrow forwards. The IRFU player management programme will be in full swing meaning that internationals look likely to miss the first 4 or 5 games of the season. Add to that the possibility of 4 extra league games (through Italian teams entering the league) and talented younger players could easily find themselves playing in 10 or so games for their provinces next season. That may sway some players to stay longer, particularly in the backrow where Heaslip, O'Brien and Jennings could miss a chunk of the season. It could be a huge opportulity for flankers Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock to make a big impression on Joe Schmidt, the new head coach. Likewise Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, Ian McKinley and Paul O'Donohoe will have an opportunity to impress. Unfortunately I don't think there's a mass of talent coming through from 1-5.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
So are both of Mike Ruddock's sons going to play for Ireland if they become good enough? I knew Ciaran was but always thought Rhys was going to plump for Wales.[/b]
They're obviously mammy's boys. I'm fairly sure Rhys was born in Ireland not that it means much. If place of birth was key to who you played for, Jamie Heaslip would be an Israeli international and Ronan O'Gara would be a cheerleader for some baseball team.......

Munstermuffin, Leinster are blessed at the moment with an extremely good crop of young players covering a massive population base. I'm sure Munster will soon see similar talent coming through when the effect of two Heineken Cup ***les translates itself into a batch of 17 or 18 year olds who took up the sport precisely because they identified with a successful team. As I see it, players like Keith Earls, Tommy O'Donnell, Felix Jones, Sean Cronin, Darragh Hurley, Denis Leamy, Tomas O'Leary, Ian Dowling, Denis Hurley and Donnacha Ryan can easily spearhead another excellent Munster team when the older heads retire. Of those close to retirement (ie 33+), only John Hayes and David Wallace don't have adequate cover behind them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 24 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 23 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye tis a tough bind for a young Leinster lad coming up. It's actually quite a young team we have at present(excluding the centres and hooker) so you'd imagine that most of those boys are going to be there for a while. If I was an academy player looking for say a backrow spot I'd think "Jasus, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are still young lads. What chance do I have of breaking into the team". We may actually lose alot of outstanding talent over the next few years, hopefully to the benefit of Connacht.[/b]
From next season, I think each Irish team in the Magners League will need 6 good backrow forwards. The IRFU player management programme will be in full swing meaning that internationals look likely to miss the first 4 or 5 games of the season. Add to that the possibility of 4 extra league games (through Italian teams entering the league) and talented younger players could easily find themselves playing in 10 or so games for their provinces next season. That may sway some players to stay longer, particularly in the backrow where Heaslip, O'Brien and Jennings could miss a chunk of the season. It could be a huge opportulity for flankers Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock to make a big impression on Joe Schmidt, the new head coach. Likewise Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, Ian McKinley and Paul O'Donohoe will have an opportunity to impress. Unfortunately I don't think there's a mass of talent coming through from 1-5.

So are both of Mike Ruddock's sons going to play for Ireland if they become good enough? I knew Ciaran was but always thought Rhys was going to plump for Wales.[/b]
They're obviously mammy's boys. I'm fairly sure Rhys was born in Ireland not that it means much. If place of birth was key to who you played for, Jamie Heaslip would be an Israeli international and Ronan O'Gara would be a cheerleader for some baseball team.......

Munstermuffin, Leinster are blessed at the moment with an extremely good crop of young players covering a massive population base. I'm sure Munster will soon see similar talent coming through when the effect of two Heineken Cup ***les translates itself into a batch of 17 or 18 year olds who took up the sport precisely because they identified with a successful team. As I see it, players like Keith Earls, Tommy O'Donnell, Felix Jones, Sean Cronin, Darragh Hurley, Denis Leamy, Tomas O'Leary, Ian Dowling, Denis Hurley and Donnacha Ryan can easily spearhead another excellent Munster team when the older heads retire. Of those close to retirement (ie 33+), only John Hayes and David Wallace don't have adequate cover behind them.
[/b][/quote]
Hope your right snoop as I was talkin to a guy in the know today and he was saying all internationals will be lucky to play 2-3 ML games next year due to World Cup so hopefully we'll have an academy suitable to support us. But when you put it that way Munster do have a good spine for future but still doubt if Cronin will end up back here although I hope he will. But my worry is if IRFU go OTT and stop playing time we'll see a repeat of WC '07 and that will be drastic.

I'd be hugely surprised if international players only played 2 or 3 ML games next season but they will more than likely play a lower pecentage of games than they have the last couple of years due to a few factors. The first is obviously trying to freshen things up for the world cup. The other reasons are certain players are creeping up in age (O'Driscoll, D'arcy, Fogarty, Cullen, Horgan) and also the fact that they won't be able to cope with 4 extra fixtures which Italian teams entering the competition will ensure. I'd say we'll see Irish internationals play in their provinces home games and also away against the other provinces. Whether they play away in Italy, Scotland or Wales is up for debate - until the playoffs at least.

There were a few interviews with Stan Wright in the papers last week. Here's one from the Hedild:
http://www.herald.ie/sport/leinster-rugby/...8490.html

Few foresaw the progress of Wright from cheap stopgap to pushing rugby's eminent tighthead prop for his place

Stan's the man. But it wasn't always so, you know. The four-times capped Cook Islands international prop Stan Wright arrived at Leinster as an emergency signing in December 2006 with little of the fanfare reserved for others, like Springbok CJ van der Linde. He was seen as a short-term solution to a frontrow injury crisis at the time, soon to be gone on the wind as one of those forgettable props that played for the province once upon a time, like failed Puma Juan Gomez, England U21 Ricky Nebbett and Samoan Fosi Pala'amo.

stage

"It is what it is. You are not going to get a top-class prop at this stage of the season," said coach Michael Cheika at the time.

Since then, Wright has rolled off any number of performances on both sides of the scrum. He has also been a trundling force in the loose where his hands have stayed loyal to the ball more often that they have betrayed it.

The 19-stoner has lost the extra poundage he brought to Dublin back then, found a home for his special talents and gained a reputation as a warm individual with a hard nose for the grinding work in the frontrow.

In short, he has been Leinster's best-value signing, making 68 appearances, 58 as a starter, since his first game, a baptism of fire against French club Agen in the Heineken Cup at Lansdowne Road in December 2006.

Wright lasted one half of the game as the Agen scrum pushed Leinster backwards before veteran loosehead Reggie Corrigan was called in to steady the ship. He has travelled a distance since then to become a formidable foe at setpiece time.

Initially he stood out physically for all the wrong reasons. He carried an amateur physique into a professional league. You could say he was put on a 'crash course diet'.

"What do ya mean? I was a professional. Nothing has changed, I'm still the same man from the day I joined this club," he quipped, with a wide smile spread across his face.

"I was always professional -- just came here not looking very professional," he added, in reference to the poor shape he presented to Leinster Rugby three years ago.

No doubt the Leinster coach has been pleasantly surprised at what Wright has been able to contribute to the culture, as a player and as a character.

Was he aware of the early criticism?

"Not really. I don't really buy the papers but I heard some people had told me. I don't worry about what people say I just worry about myself. Get myself right and they can say whatever they like.

"I think my fitness and strength levels, eh, they've come up a wee bit. I think I have got stronger and a little bit fitter. Once you got strength and fitness, rugby is an easy game to play".

Once again the unfortunate Van de Linde, who missed most of last season with a toe ligament problem, has been laid low by injury.

It appears a calf problem will keep him out of action until the New Year.

There is a 'Lannigan's Ball' scenario to this predicament as Wright is just back from a pectoral muscle injury that kept him out of the front row cauldron for the best part of two months.

It says everything about the impact of Wright that, as Van der Linde was assisted to the sideline at the RDS last Saturday, the Leinster supporters made their heartfelt warmth heard for his introduction.

It is one thing to become a fan favourite, quite another to win the respect of your fellow professionals. Wright was selected on the Magners League Dream Team for the season 2007/2008.

His fellow players voted him the Irish Rugby Union Players Association Unsung Hero at the end of 2008/2009.

strain

It appears Van der Linde's calf strain will not keep him away from the furnace for too long. He should be back for rounds five and six of the Heineken Cup. It will leave a three-into-two-won't-go selection poser for Cheika.

The ongoing development of Ireland and the supreme individual attributes of Cian Healy mean that the Belvedere College graduate will be odds-on to hold down the loosehead berth.

So it should be a straight shoot-out between the man initially billed as the best tight-head prop in the world, and another who will always be remembered as value for money and so much more than that.[/b]
I was one of the horde laughing at how bad Wright was when he first came on board. Through hard work and good coaching, he's developed into an excellent prop. He won't drive opponents back but more often than not he'll lock his side of the scrum and allow Jamie Heaslip off the base and the backs outside the chance to gain positive yardage. His appetite to carry the ball marks him out and is the main reason why he's ahead of Mike Ross, a wonderful scrummager, on the depth chart.

I'd agree with Snoopy on this one. The IRFU will be very careful in making sure that our top players get enough gametime throughout the year. They'll be keen to avoid the mistakes made by Graham Henry and Eddie O'Sullivan in the buildiup to 2007.

Hope ye are right but it'll be interesting but I really think they'll be given a very low limit of games like even this season they don't play too much. But guess it'll be made clearer as time draws closer but still we need bigger academy with more depht as the 4 extra games (against brutaly physical italian franchises) will be very demanding on an already hectic schedule when u double up the 'A' team fixtures.

Leinster's game with London Irish will be played at Twickenham as there's a possible clash with Reading's 4th Round FA Cup tie, should they beat Liverpool they'll be at home to Burnley at 15:00 on the same Saturday.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/boss...er-2029362.html

Boss set for move to Leinster

Ulster scrum-half Isaac Boss is almost certainly on his way to Leinster next season and he may be replaced in Ravenhill by Scotland's Mike Blair. Boss (29) is at an advanced stage of negotiations with the European champions after five years with Ulster, where he has been extremely effective without it being reflected at national level (12 caps), having made his debut for Ireland in 2006. He would be a huge loss for Ulster both as a team leader and a versatile player, but if they can plug the gap with Blair, who toured South Africa with the Lions last summer, then they would be swapping one quality scrum-half with another. It is understood that Ulster, who have secured fresh cash to invest in recruits, have already talked terms with Blair, who was co-captain of Scotland in their autumn series. He is not the only player on their shopping list however, and South African Ruan Pienaar is also understood to be in the mix. If they land Blair they would gain in technical scrum-half play what they would lose in Boss's versatility. The arrival of Boss in Leinster will give them a powerful scrum-half combination along with Eoin Reddan, who arrived from Wasps last summer with a view to improving his international chances.[/b]
This has been doing the rounds on an Ulster fansite for the last week or so. Supposedly Boss is losing his central contract with the IRFU and Leinster have put more money on the table than Ulster for his services.

Boss would bring a different, more abrasive, style than Eoin Reddan and as such would be a good signing. I'm not sure what it means for Paul O'Donohoe though. Chances are that he should move since he's more than good enough to start for a decent club. Could the Guinness Premiership be beckoning?

Lots of the interviews in the various papers over the last few weeks have been rehashed tripe with nothing worth reporting in them. Bernard Jackman's blog for the Hedild may be an exception. He talks about Leinster's defensive strategy in his latest entry:
http://www.herald.ie/sport/leinster-rugby/...st-2039154.html

We use a quote in Leinster imported from a famous American football coach that reads: "Defence wins championships". If last season's Heineken Cup triumph was built on our defence (we conceded five tries in nine matches) a quick look at the points-against tallies from all the final group tables shows we have conceded only 60 points in the six matches so far, with Biarritz, on 77, our nearest competitor.

Since Kurt McQuilkin became defence coach with Leinster, this area has been the most improved aspect of our game and it means that even when our attack isn't as fluid as we would like we can still find a way to get the required result.

Kurt will work with individuals during the week on tackle technique, particularly how we can become better at the choke tackle. The 'choke' is the term given to the tackle where you look to hold your opposite man up in the air for as long as possible, which gives our defensive line more time to reset and that leads to more line speed, which helps make more impact tackles and force turnovers.

We will also spend a lot of time during the week at training defending against that week's opposition's patterns and special plays. The academy and the non-selected senior players will simulate our opponent and this is vital in helping us prepare defensively week in, week out.[/b]
Kurt McQuilkin arriving at the province two years ago was an important as the arrival of Rocky Elsom. Without McQuilkin, Leinster wouldn't be the European champions such is the impact he's had on a previously dire defence.

Joe Schmidt was interviewed on 98FM this morning. A few of the bigger points raised were that Guy Easterby will be team manager next season (Chris Whitaker currently holds that role), Isa Nacewa has signed a new Leinster deal (Clermont tried to sign him), Jono Gibbes is sticking around next season, he didn't deny that Isaac Boss was joining and that he'll sit down and talk to Kurt McQuilkin shortly trying to convince the defence coach to stay.

Speaking ahead of Thursday's game, Leinster 'A' Coach Colin McEntee said: "Thursday's game is ideal preparation for the team leading into a big month with two important British & Irish Cup games coming up and it will present a good opportunity for those who haven't played as much recently to stake a claim.

"We know Ulster well having played them a number of times recently and they're very strong and well-coached. Every time we play them it's always a high scoring and physical fixture, so we're under no illusions that this week's game will be another tough test.

"It's a great chance for Leinster supporters in Meath and around the province to see some of the rising talent in a competitive fixture against one of our interprovincial rivals. The players are also excited about playing in Navan having trained there as part of one of the recent squad provincial visits."

Trevor Hogan, Chris Keane, Simon Keogh and Stephen Keogh are named in the panel for a side that shows a blend of youth and experience as the province gears up for two British & Irish Cup matches this month (away to Exeter Chiefs on Saturday, 13th February and home to Newport on Friday, 26th February).

Michael Keating, Jack McGrath and Ciaran Ruddock are also included after impressing in Leinster's opening two victories in the British & Irish Cup.

There is free entry for Leinster Season Ticket holders upon presentation of this year's membership card. The team is expected to be announced on Wednesday lunchtime.

Leinster 'A' squad to face Ulster 'A'...

FORWARDS: Martin Moore, Richardt Strauss, Jason Harris-Wright, Jack McGrath, Ben Barclay, Ciaran Ruddock, Trevor Hogan, AN Other, Eoin Sherriff, Jordi Murphy, Paul Ryan, Stephen Keogh

BACKS: David Moore, Chris Keane, Simon Keogh, Ian Madigan, Kyle Tonetti, Eoin O'Malley, Michael Keating, Niall Morris, David Kearney, Shane Monahan[/b]

Paul O'Donohoe captains a strong team which includes three Ireland internationals in the pack in Trevor Hogan, Malcolm O'Kelly and Mike Ross as well as Girvan Dempsey in the backline.

Shaun Berne starts at inside centre alongside Eoin O'Malley, while in the pack Eoin Sheriff is named in the back-row alongside Paul Ryan and Stephen Keogh. Simon Keogh, Ronan McCormack and Devin Toner are named amongst the replacements. Meanwhile, Exeter have included two former Leinster players in their pack prop Ruaidhrí Murphy and lock David Gannon.

EXETER CHIEFS:

15: Emyr Lewis
14: Sean Marsden
13: Tom Bedford
12: Matt Cornwell
11: Paul McKenzie
10: Danny Gray
9: Richard Bolt

1: Ben Moon
2: Sam Blythe
3: Ruaidhrí Murphy
4: Sean Tomes
5: Chris Bentley
6: David Gannon
7: James Scaysbrook CAPTAIN
8: Tom Johnson

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Saul Nelson
17: Shane Kingsland
18: Dave Ewers
19: Michael Stupple
20: Clive Stuart-Smith
21: Nick Greenhalgh
22: Drew Locke

LEINSTER:

15: Girvan Dempsey
14: Niall Morris
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Shaun Berne
11: David Kearney
10: Ian Madigan
9: Paul O'Donohoe CAPTAIN

1: Stan Wright
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Trevor Hogan
5: Malcolm O'Kelly
6: Eoin Sheriff
7: Paul Ryan
8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jason Harris-Wright
17: Ronan McCormack
18: Devin Toner
19: Ciaran Ruddock
20: David Moore
21: Kyle Tonetti
22: Simon Keogh[/b]
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4372.php

It's quite a strong Leinster squad considering all the players who are unavailable due to injury, Ireland senior, under 20 involvement and being rested. The tight 5 is excellent. Wright and Ross should bully their opponents (although I hope Ruaidhrí Murphy goes well). Richardt Strauss has a good pedigree from the Currie Cup while Hogan and O'Kelly will likely start next weekend against the Scarlets. The backrow is a bit unconvincing since Sheriff is a transplanted 2nd row and Keogh is a plodding 8 (solid 6 though). I hope Paul Ryan goes well.

I like the halfback combination. Paul O'Donohoe is an impressive scrumhalf who may need to move elsewhere next season due to Isaac Boss signing. Ian Madigan gets a shot at 10 due to Ian McKinley's serious eye injury. He has a fantastic running game but isn't a great "game manager". Berne starting at 12 points to him starting in that position against the Scarlets. Eoin O'Malley must take his chance alongside the Aussie A representative since he'll be fighting for gametime with Brian O'Driscoll, Fergus McFadden and soon Brendan Macken. Niall Morris starting ahead of Simon Keogh is a big call - could Keogh be on his way out? Girv lends some experience to a young back division.

Exeter Chiefs 10 v 22 Leinster

http://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/site/4/Lates...ml?ar_item=2692

Exeter Chiefs suffered their second defeat in this competition while a strong Leinster performance gave the visitors a hat-trick of victories over the South West contingent in Pool A.

The Chiefs were unrecognisable from the side that has been winning again recently in the Championship with none of the starting line-up from last week’s win at Cornish Pirates featuring in this game. As for the visitors, although they had no fewer than nine players away on international duty for Ireland in Paris, they were still able to field a strong side including four players boasting 178 international appearances between them.

Leinster started strongly and were ahead after just two minutes; the Chiefs lost their first lineout and gave away a penalty as they struggled to regain possession. Leinster kicked the penalty to the halfway line and, from the resulting throw, they moved the ball quickly down the line to former Bath man Shaun Berne, who slipped a lovely short pass to break the Chiefs line creating space for winger Dave Kearney to sprint over for the score. Berne failed with the conversion attempt.

The try served as a wake up call and Exeter began to gain some possession after the restart. The Chiefs almost levelled the score after 10 minutes as Tom Johnson and Richard Bolt fashioned a blindside move from a scrum on halfway to make inroads deep into Leinster territory before the attack ended with a penalty awarded to the Chiefs on the Leinster 22-metre line. Danny Gray kicked to the corner and from the lineout Exeter set up an aggressive maul which powered over the Leinster line with Sam Blythe securing the try; Gray missed with conversion attempt.

Exeter were to score again just eight minutes later. From a penalty, Gray kicked to the Leinster 22-metre line and, from the quickly won lineout, Gray sent a superb raking cross-field kick straight into the arms of the onrushing Sean Marsden who collected the ball safely and dropped down for the try. Gray could not quite match the quality of that kick with the extra points.

The Chiefs were good value for their lead at this stage but a yellow card for Matt Cornwell after 24 minutes put them on the back foot. Cornwell could not resist kicking at a loose ball in a ruck but it was right in front of the referee who had no hesitation in sending him to the sin-bin. Leinster took advantage of their superior numbers and enjoyed their best period of the game so far as they pressed the Exeter defence aided by a number of ineffective tackles by the home side. Leinster tried a cross field kick of their own on the half hour to Kearney who knocked the ball on when over the try-line. Leinster came again as Exeter failed to clear their lines and were over the try-line again within minutes but this time the ball was held up by a scrambling defence. From a scrum soon after, Leinster finally got some reward for their efforts as Exeter’s efforts to repel a forwards attack left space and men out wide and the ball was shipped out to Kearney who went over for his second score of the afternoon; this time Berne converted.

The first half promised much but the second half failed to live up to any expectations. Leinster seemed far more motivated after the break and attacked and defended with strength and commitment. When Berne dropped a goal on 49 minutes, rather than continuing with an attacking move, it seemed to signal that Leinster felt they could defend any lead. Berne missed with a penalty attempt five minutes later but the screw was being tightened by Leinster and Exeter were struggling to get back into the game.

The third quarter of the game saw Leinster dominate in defence and threaten occasionally in attack. The Chiefs could not escape their own half and, as they became increasingly desperate to create something, Paul McKenzie was forced into a hurried clearance kick, which was charged down and gathered up by Leinster skipper Paul O’Donohue who sped over for another converted try with just over 10 minutes left.

The Chiefs nearly got some luck of their own towards the end of the game as Cornwell charged down a Leinster clearance inside the visitors half but although he linked effectively with McKenzie the two of them could not find the killer pass to put debutante Nick Greenhalgh away.

It is not often that an Exeter side go an entire half without scoring, particularly the second period, but it was testament to the physicality and determination of the Leinster players who clearly demonstrated that they are in this competition to win it.

Teams:
Exeter Chiefs â€" Lewis; Marsden, Bedford (Greenhalgh 50mins), Cornwell, McKenzie; Gray, Bolt; Moon, Blythe (Nelson 58mins), Murphy (Kingsland 61mins), Tomes, Bentley (Ewers 54mins), Gannon (Ewers blood 33-40mins), Scaysbrook (capt), Johnson (Stupple 70mins).

Leinster â€" Dempsey; Morris (Keogh 6mins), O’Malley, Berne, Kearney; Madigan, O’Donohoe (capt) (Moore 71mins); Wright, Strauss (Harris-Wright 62mins), Ross (McCormack 56mins), Hogan, O’Kelly (Toner 56mins), Sheriff, Ryan, Keogh (Ruddock 71mins).

Scorers:
Exeter Chiefs â€" Tries: Blythe; Marsden.

Leinster â€" Tries: Kearney (2), O’Donohue; Cons: Berne (2); DG: Berne.

Yellow cards:
Exeter Chiefs â€" Cornwell 24 mins.

Officials:
Ref: Leighton Hodges; TJs: Richard Parker-Sedgemore & Nigel Higginson

Attendance:
3,505[/b]
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4372.php

Leinster produced an assured display as they defeated the Exeter Chiefs 22-10 in Saturday afternoon's Round 3 British & Irish Cup encounter in Sandy Park, Exeter... Leinster got off to a dream start when David Kearney took a pass from Eoin O'Malley who scythed through the Chiefs midfield at pace with just two minutes on the clock.

The move began from a Leinster lineout, which Malcolm O'Kelly gathered, and a swift move at pace followed from Paul O'Donohoe to Shaun Berne found O'Malley who broke for 40 metres before offloading to Kearney inside the 22 to touch down.

Berne's conversion fell narrowly wide of the upright, but Leinster took a deserved 5-0 lead.

Exeter, who fielded two former Leinster Academy products in flanker David Gannon and prop Ruaidhrí Murphy, were on the back foot for the next 10 minutes before a break from scrum-half Richard Bolt led to a penalty inside the Leinster 22.

Out-half Richard Gray opted to kick for touch and from the ensuing lineout hooker Sam Blythe rclaimed the ball and touched down from close range to level the scores at 5-5 after 13 minutes.

Seven minutes later the hosts took the lead when right winger Sean Marsden benefited from a superb cross-kick by Gray to claim his side's second try, but again the out-half's conversion effort fell wide of the sticks.

Exeter were reduced to 14 men when Matt Cornwell was yellow-carded for a professional foul in the 25th minute as Leinster upped the tempo. Stan Wright almost powered over but the referee adjudged that the ball was held up, but eventually Leinster's territorial dominance was rewarded when Ian Madigan released Berne whose vision found Kearney who stole in for his second try in the 35th minute.

Berne slotted home a superb conversion from the touchline to enable Leinster to regain the lead and the province went into the half-time interval with a slender 12-10 advantage.

Leinster started the second half with greater urgency and a Berne drop goal in the 47th minute extended the lead to five points.

A Madigan drop goal effort as the game entered the final quarter struck the upright as Leinster penned the hosts in their half and O'Donohoe's brave block down on the Chiefs 22 in the 70th minute caught the hosts' defence napping and the scrum-half raced through to score.

Berne expertly added his third successful kick of the afternoon to give Leinster an unassailable 22-10 lead as they maintained their excellent run of form in the competition.[/b]

I don't want to hijack another thread! If a mod wants to move a couple of the Ed O'Donoghue posts here, feel free.

Simon Keogh forgot about him and he's not a bad playr it just never worked out since he returned from England.

Wouldn't likes of him, Trevor Hogan and few be better off going to Connacht for game time and they'd be big players for Connacht.[/b]
Keogh was signed as a backup. He was never going to force his way ahead of Shane Horgan, Isa Nacewa and Luke Fitzgerald for one of the starting wing spots but did an excellent job covering during international breaks. His ability to play scrumhalf saw him make quite a few 22 man squads in the Heineken Cup so all in all, he's been a very valuable signing. This year though he's seen Dave Kearney and Andrew Conway push ahead of him as win options and Paul O'Donohoe push ahead as a scrumhalf. Keogh's chances will be limited from this point on. His experience and versatility would be of benefit to Connacht but he's over 30 and would a move west appeal to him at this point in his career?

Next season Leinster could potentially have Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Mal O'Kelly, Devin Toner, Trevor Hogan and Ed O'Donoghue as second row options. Assuming O'Kelly continues playing, one of Toner or Hogan would be well advised to take a contract with Connacht if one was forthcoming. Hogan has just turned 30 but as we see with players like Simon Shaw, he could easily have a lot of time left as a pro rugby player. Becoming a talisman out west could re-energise his career.

I can understand the possible signing of O'Donoghue because the three front line second rows are well into their 30s and the academy doesn't seem to be churning out players in that position. EOD is entering his prime and could be a Leinster player for 5 or so years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 23 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't want to hijack another thread! If a mod wants to move a couple of the Ed O'Donoghue posts here, feel free.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Simon Keogh forgot about him and he's not a bad playr it just never worked out since he returned from England.

Wouldn't likes of him, Trevor Hogan and few be better off going to Connacht for game time and they'd be big players for Connacht.[/b]
Keogh was signed as a backup. He was never going to force his way ahead of Shane Horgan, Isa Nacewa and Luke Fitzgerald for one of the starting wing spots but did an excellent job covering during international breaks. His ability to play scrumhalf saw him make quite a few 22 man squads in the Heineken Cup so all in all, he's been a very valuable signing. This year though he's seen Dave Kearney and Andrew Conway push ahead of him as win options and Paul O'Donohoe push ahead as a scrumhalf. Keogh's chances will be limited from this point on. His experience and versatility would be of benefit to Connacht but he's over 30 and would a move west appeal to him at this point in his career?

Next season Leinster could potentially have Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Mal O'Kelly, Devin Toner, Trevor Hogan and Ed O'Donoghue as second row options. Assuming O'Kelly continues playing, one of Toner or Hogan would be well advised to take a contract with Connacht if one was forthcoming. Hogan has just turned 30 but as we see with players like Simon Shaw, he could easily have a lot of time left as a pro rugby player. Becoming a talisman out west could re-energise his career.

I can understand the possible signing of O'Donoghue because the three front line second rows are well into their 30s and the academy doesn't seem to be churning out players in that position. EOD is entering his prime and could be a Leinster player for 5 or so years.
[/b][/quote]
True but Connacht should appeal to these as they'll get plenty of game time and if Connacht got a few of them in and next year with World Cup alot of sides will be weakened at times while Connacht (exclude Cronin) will be full strength and have a good shot a making a H'Cup spot.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4447.php
Leinster fell to their first defeat of the British & Irish Cup on Friday evening when Newport edged a keenly contested encounter 10-6 in Donnybrook... The hosts made an encouraging start in bitterly cold conditions and were nearly awarded a penalty but Fergus McFadden's effort two minutes in fell agonisingly short of the upright.

Powerful separate surges from Eoin Sheriff and Ian Madigan in the opening ten minutes failed to reap points, and a 40 metre break by Stephen Keogh in the 14th minute almost finished in the game's first try, but the Leinster skipper was denied by the Welsh defence.

A knock sustained in the ensuing ruck ended Keogh's evening and in the 19th minute Newport took the lead from a penalty by out-half Chris Wannell after an infringement at a ruck inside the Leinster 22.

The visitors pressed and some clever sniping around the fringes from the aptly named scrum-half Andrew Quick led to their second penalty of the evening in the 27th minute, though Wannell's effort fell wide into the Bective end.

Leinster regrouped and despite McFadden's second penalty effort three minutes later missing the target, a spell of solid pressure ensued. Newport right winger Mike Poole spent time in the bin in the 35th minute for successive deliberate infringements and though Leinster held the upper hand until the interval, a difficult injury time penalty from McFadden couldn't level the scores.

Substitute Paul O'Donohoe entered the fray at the interval and carved through the Newport midfield in the 42nd minute. From the resulting spell of forward dominance, McFadden added his side's first points of the evening with a penalty five minutes later.

Leinster's ascendency was halted when Devin Toner was sin-binned for an off the ball incident and Newport benefited from the one man advantage with left wing Matthew Pewtner touching down in the corner after a fast back-line move. Wannell added the difficult conversion to extend Newport's lead to 10-3 after 51 minutes.

The game ebbed and flowed with neither side asserting themselves but with five minutes remaining McFadden slotted home his second penalty after Leinster gained dominance at a scrum. A wayward Wannell penalty in the 77th minute failed to extend Newport's advantage, but they held on to seal the win thus ensuring a tense finale in the final round of pool games.

*Leinster travel to Scotland to face Gael Force in the province's final Pool A British & Irish Cup encounter on Wednesday, 10th March.

RESULTS TO DATE: Leinster 12 v 10 Cornish Pirates - Friday 27th Nov 2009, Plymouth Albion 13 v 16 Leinster - Saturday 21st Nov 2009, Exeter Chiefs 10 v 22 Leinster - Saturday 13th Feb 2010, Leinster 6 v 10 Newport - Friday 26th Feb 2010

LEINSTER SCORER: F. McFadden (2 penalties)

NEWPORT SCORERS: M. Pewtner (1 try), C. Wannell (1 penalty, 1 conversion)

LEINSTER:

15: Niall Morris (Shane Monahan, 68), 14: Michael Keating (Kyle Tonetti, 80), 13: Eoin O'Malley, 12: Fergus McFadden, 11: Simon Keogh, 10: Ian Madigan, 9: Chris Keane (Paul O'Donohoe, ht); 1: Ronan McCormack (Stan Wright, 50), 2: Richardt Strauss (Jason Harris-Wright, 70), 3: Mike Ross, 4: Trevor Hogan, 5: Devin Toner, 6: Eoin Sheriff, 7: Paul Ryan, 8: Stephen Keogh CAPTAIN (Jordi Murphy, 17)

REPLACEMENT NOT USED: Ciaran Ruddock

YELLOW CARD: Devin Toner (47-57)

NEWPORT:

15: Gareth Wyatt, 14: Mike Poole, 13: Adam Hughes, 12: Pat Leach, 11: Matthew Pewtner, 10: Chris Wannell, 9: Andrew Quick; 1: Dai Pattison, 2: Duane Goodfield (Andrew Brown, 58), 3: Gethin Robinson, 4: Dafydd Rosser, 5: Adam Brown, 6: Sam Waldron (Lewis Evans, 49) 7: Craig Hill, 8: Andrew Coombs CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS NOT USED: Dan Way, Mark Workman, Scott Williams, Dan Griffiths, Kyle Barrett

YELLOW CARD: Mike Poole (35-45)

REFEREE: Keith Lewis (RFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: David Wilkinson (IRFU), Seamus Flannery (IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Gary Glennon (ARLB), 5th OFFICIAL: Ciaran McGowan (ARLB)[/b]
A bad result but it was a weak Leinster team. Full credit to Newport though.

Perhaps of most significance from the fixture was Stephen Keogh being helped from the field. With Sean O'Brien already out for the season and Jamie Heaslip on an international break, Leinster's backrow next week against Cardiff Blues could have an inexperienced look to it. I suspect one of Rhys Ruddock or Dominic Ryan will start that game with the other on the bench.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...65371036.htmlIt would be interesting to note how Kieran Brookes felt in the wake of Ireland's brilliant 25-10 victory over England in the Under-20 international at Kingsholm last Friday night. The young Newcastle Falcons tighthead prop had played for Ireland last year at this level - and also previously the Under-19s - but switched his allegiances to England.

He came on as a 50th-minute replacement during the game at Gloucester.

He is considered a very talented player and Leinster looked at recruiting him for their academy but the offer of a full-time contract with the Falcons and the chance to work with legendary New Zealand tighthead and Newcastle captain Carl Hoeft persuaded him to head to the north of England.

Brookes is still in a position to play for either Ireland or England should he chose to do so because he hasn't yet played at full, A or Sevens level.[/b]

I didn't realise this previously but with Leinster also recruiting Stewart Maguire into their academy from outside the province, it's obvious that management feel tighthead prop is a problem position going forward.

Latest posts