• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
CJ van der Linde limped out of the Saracens/South Africa game yesterday. If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all! Hopefully it's not too serious but if it is, Ronan McCormack and Jack McGrath will probably step up to the bench for next months Heineken Cup games.

On another note.......
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...4259042548.html

Alan McGowan was the name that popped up as the last outhalf from Leinster to represent Ireland at 10. He earned his cap in Lansdowne Road against the USA in 1994 when he kicked 13 points.

That's 1994 to 2009 without a Leinster outhalf! Others would say Dublin-born Ian Keatley would fit the picture. Keatley played for Clontarf and won his first cap this year but is currently contracted to Connacht. Mark McHugh is also a candidate but although 10 for Leinster, he played fullback for Ireland.[/b]
I knew Leinster have been crap at producing flyhalves for a while but the above really emphasises the point!

Leinster target Schmidt
By BRENDAN FANNING

Sunday November 29 2009

Clermont Auvergne's Kiwi backs' coach Josef Schmidt has emerged as the hot favourite to succeed Michael Cheika.

Leinster are anxious to wrap up a deal well in advance of Cheika's departure at the end of the season and it is understood negotiations with Schmidt are at an advanced stage.

Schmidt (44), originally from Manawatu, is in his third season assisting head coach Vern Cotter in France. Originally they teamed up at Bay of Plenty before Cotter left for France and Schmidt moved to Auckland as backs' coach for the Blues before hooking up again with Cotter.

It's understood senior players in the Leinster set-up have had an input to the process in so far as they want a young coach on the way up looking to make his mark, rather than an established name. Evidently they hope to recreate the scenario where Cheika arrived four years with no cv to speak of and ended up winning Heineken Cup and Magners League ***les.

Schmidt is rated both in New Zealand and France as a creative backs' coach but if the deal pans out this will be his first senior position.

The hope is that he and forwards' coach Jonno Gibbes would make a good team. They already know each other from New Zealand in the days when Bay of Plenty and Waikato (Gibbes's province) were together under the umbrella of the Chiefs franchise.

If Schmidt does sign up he will be jumping in at the deep end given the early season which looms for Leinster -- and indeed Munster and Ulster -- in 2010.

There is still no agreement between the IRFU and the provinces over Declan Kidney's request to withdraw up to 30 players from the early rounds of the Magners League with a view to conditioning ahead of the 2011 World Cup. Another meeting is scheduled before Christmas.[/b]

Fanning has been known to fly a few kites but he's usually quite well informed and his story on Schmidt has been backed up by Peter O'Reilly, who's generally spot on, in the Sunday Times.

Any chance Schmidt might take Nalaga and Scelzo with him?!

It's just a cover up, it's gonna be Michael Bradley!!!

Shouln't this be in that dedicated Leinster News Thread you lot have going?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 29 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's just a cover up, it's gonna be Michael Bradley!!!Shouln't this be in that dedicated Leinster News Thread you lot have going?[/b]
I figure the Leinster thread is for smaller pieces of news like A games, player interviews, Munster bashing (!) etc - things that wouldn't be of interest to non-Leinster supporters. In my opinion this is a big enough story in it's own right.

Bradley could form part of the backroom staff. O'Reilly reports in the Times that Alan Gaffney may be off to concentrate on Ireland full time while Kurt McQuilkin might be heading back to New Zealand leaving a couple of jobs open to the Connacht boss.

I don't know what to make of Schmidt. He hasn't got any top level head coaching experience. As far as I'm aware he's coached NZ schools, been Bay Of Plenty backs coach, held a similar job at Auckland and is now the ASM attack coach. He's learned under a couple of very good head coaches in the shape of Vern Cotter and David Nucifora. Hopefully they've imparted quite a bit of knowledge on Schmidt.

I'm relishing the prospect of him freeing up the backline to play like ASM. Schmidt's coaching has helped turn Napolioni Nalaga and Brock James into excellent attacking players. Perhaps he can similarly hasten the rise to prominence of Sexton, Kearney, Fitzgerald, McFadden and Macken among others.

Sexton apparently broke 2 bones in his hand yesterday and is out for a month, missing the double header with the Scarlets. Nothing confirmed yet but it was on the Hub tonight. Disastrous news for Leinster, bad enough losing Fitzgerald but with Sexton on top of this we're gonna be struggling if we've either Nacewa or Berne at 10.

That's disastrous if true. The only other options at flyhalf are a centre, Shaun Berne, and a utility back, Isa Nacewa. Any chance they put in a call for David Holwell on another short term deal or register Ian McKinley for the Heineken Cup games?

I think I'd prefer Nacewa at 10 to Berne. At least Nacewa would pose an attacking threat although he's a poor tactical kicker. Berne is a jack of all trades, master of none.

A word of caution: this was written by David Kelly so it probably isn't true:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/irfu...in-1964083.html

IRFU thwart Leinster's bid to land Giteau as Sexton stand-in

Leinster have failed in a dramatic last-gasp bid to lure Australian star Matt Giteau as emergency cover for Jonathan Sexton.

Sexton broke bones in two fingers during Ireland's 15-10 win over South Africa last weekend and, although Leinster are confident that Shaun Berne can adequately step in for him, Brumbies star Giteau was actively pursued by the club this week.

However, the move hit a considerable stumbling block when IRFU bosses were alerted and sought to place restrictions on what would have been an extraordinary coup.

Giteau, widely acknowledged to be one of the finest talents in world rugby, was believed to have been keen on a temporary switch to cover Leinster's closing rounds of the Heineken Cup. The province face a double-header against Llanelli this month.[/b]
It would be some signing though!

Sounds stupid.

Would only have been for a month or two as they have done before, but it still sounds stupid.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/1204/leinster.html

However, a Leinster source has since confirmed to RTÉ Sport that their failure to land Giteau had nothing to do with the IRFU, and instead said that the Australian Rugby Union were the ones to block the move.[/b]
I can't see RTE posting baseless rumours so there must be some truth to the story. Apologies to David Kelly for doubting him (and well done on getting the scoop)! With Giteau off the agenda, do they turn in another direction or go with Berne at 10 against the Scarlets?

I saw this on Leinster's website:

Leinster and Ireland legend Denis Hickie will be holding a Coaching Clinic in Gorey RFC next Monday night, 14th December at 7.30pm... This clinic is geared towards 'Back Three' play for Senior, Junior and Youths coaches who are all welcome to attend...[/b]
I'd like to see Hickie get some sort of formal coaching role with Leinster. He always struck me as a smart player, somebody who made the most of his ability and worked hard to imrpove all aspects of his game. I'm sure he'd have a lot of knowledge to impart on academy players like Andrew Conway, Shane Monahan, Niall Morris, Ian Madigan and Michael Keating.

Next season hopefully he and/or Girvan Dempsey will have roles within Leinster as back three coaches. Likewise Bernard Jackman as a front row advisor in much the same way as Chris Whitaker is still involved as team manager/scrum half coach. These guys have tonnes of experience which younger players especially can tap into. It would also be a way of promoting Irish coaches.

The Leinster Development XV to face Ireland Under-20's in Donnybrook on Tuesday afternoon (KO: 2.30pm) has been named... Eoin O'Malley captains the Leinster side and the former Ireland Under-20 centre lines up alongside Kyle Tonetti in a backline which also includes Michael Keating who featured in the two recent British & Irish Cup wins.

In the pack, Jack McGrath starts in the front row alongside Jason Harris-Wright and Jack O'Connell with Ciaran Ruddock partnering Mark Flanagan from second row. Meanwhile, Ireland Under-20's coach Allen Clarke has named his side to take on a The Leinster Development XV in Donnybrook on Tuesday afternoon. The Ireland U-20 side will be captained by Munster's Brian O'Hara.

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT:

15: Ian Madigan
14: Shane Monahan
13: Eoin O'Malley CAPTAIN
12: Kyle Tonetti
11: Michael Keating
10: Ian McKinley
9: David Moore

1: Jack McGrath
2: Jason Harris-Wright
3: Jack O'Connell
4: Ciaran Ruddock
5: Mark Flanagan
6: Eoin Sheriff
7: Jordi Murphy
8: Paul Ryan

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Martin Moore
17: AN Other
18: Colm Mallon
19: Richard Bent
20: Chris Lilly
21: Darren Hudson
22: Peter du Toit / Niall Morris

IRELAND UNDER-20:

15: Andrew Conway (Blackrock/Leinster)
14: Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht)
13: Brendan Macken (Blackrock/Leinster)
12: David McSharry (UCD/Leinster)
11: Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10: Brian Kingston (Blackrock/Leinster)
9: Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

1: Denis Buckley (Creggs/ Connacht)
2: Risteard Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
3: Stewart Maguire (Old Belvedere /Leinster)
4: Ben Marshall (UCD/Leinster)

5: Brian Hayes (Cork Constitution/Munster)
6: Paddy Ryan (Highfield /Munster)
7: Brian O'Hara (UL Bohemian/Munster) CAPTAIN
8: Patrick Butler (Shannon/Munster)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Brian Cagney (UCC/Munster)
17: James Robinson (Corinthians/Connacht)
18: David Doyle (UCD/Leinster)
19: David O'Callaghan (UCC/Munster)
20: Rhys Ruddock (UCD/Leinster)
21: Robin O'Sullivan (Greystones /Leinster)
22: John Cooney (UCD RFC/Leinster)

23: James McKinney (Queens/Ulster)
24: Eoin Griffin (Corinthians/Connacht)
25: Craig O'Hanlon (Shannon /Munster)[/b]

That's an exceptionally talented u20 team but I fancy Leinster to win comfortably given their age and experience - 5 of the Leinster development team have already played in the Magners League.

Of the Leinster 22, Jack O'Connell, Jordi Murphy, Martin Moore, Richard Bent, Chris Lilly, Darren Hudson and Peter Du Toit are all eligible for u20 level. I'm sure they'll be spurred on by their non-selection for Ireland.

No sign of Dominic Ryan in either squad and Rhys Ruddock is only on the bench for the u20s. Could it be a sign that they're going to be involved with the full Leinster team over the Christmas and New Year period?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 21 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
The Leinster Development XV to face Ireland Under-20's in Donnybrook on Tuesday afternoon (KO: 2.30pm) has been named... Eoin O'Malley captains the Leinster side and the former Ireland Under-20 centre lines up alongside Kyle Tonetti in a backline which also includes Michael Keating who featured in the two recent British & Irish Cup wins.

In the pack, Jack McGrath starts in the front row alongside Jason Harris-Wright and Jack O'Connell with Ciaran Ruddock partnering Mark Flanagan from second row. Meanwhile, Ireland Under-20's coach Allen Clarke has named his side to take on a The Leinster Development XV in Donnybrook on Tuesday afternoon. The Ireland U-20 side will be captained by Munster's Brian O'Hara.

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT:

15: Ian Madigan
14: Shane Monahan
13: Eoin O'Malley CAPTAIN
12: Kyle Tonetti
11: Michael Keating
10: Ian McKinley
9: David Moore

1: Jack McGrath
2: Jason Harris-Wright
3: Jack O'Connell
4: Ciaran Ruddock
5: Mark Flanagan
6: Eoin Sheriff
7: Jordi Murphy
8: Paul Ryan

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Martin Moore
17: AN Other
18: Colm Mallon
19: Richard Bent
20: Chris Lilly
21: Darren Hudson
22: Peter du Toit / Niall Morris

IRELAND UNDER-20:

15: Andrew Conway (Blackrock/Leinster)
14: Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht)
13: Brendan Macken (Blackrock/Leinster)
12: David McSharry (UCD/Leinster)
11: Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10: Brian Kingston (Blackrock/Leinster)
9: Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

1: Denis Buckley (Creggs/ Connacht)
2: Risteard Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
3: Stewart Maguire (Old Belvedere /Leinster)
4: Ben Marshall (UCD/Leinster)

5: Brian Hayes (Cork Constitution/Munster)
6: Paddy Ryan (Highfield /Munster)
7: Brian O'Hara (UL Bohemian/Munster) CAPTAIN
8: Patrick Butler (Shannon/Munster)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Brian Cagney (UCC/Munster)
17: James Robinson (Corinthians/Connacht)
18: David Doyle (UCD/Leinster)
19: David O'Callaghan (UCC/Munster)
20: Rhys Ruddock (UCD/Leinster)
21: Robin O'Sullivan (Greystones /Leinster)
22: John Cooney (UCD RFC/Leinster)

23: James McKinney (Queens/Ulster)
24: Eoin Griffin (Corinthians/Connacht)
25: Craig O'Hanlon (Shannon /Munster)[/b]

That's an exceptionally talented u20 team but I fancy Leinster to win comfortably given their age and experience - 5 of the Leinster development team have already played in the Magners League.

Of the Leinster 22, Jack O'Connell, Jordi Murphy, Martin Moore, Richard Bent, Chris Lilly, Darren Hudson and Peter Du Toit are all eligible for u20 level. I'm sure they'll be spurred on by their non-selection for Ireland.

No sign of Dominic Ryan in either squad and Rhys Ruddock is only on the bench for the u20s. Could it be a sign that they're going to be involved with the full Leinster team over the Christmas and New Year period?
[/b][/quote]
What is story with Ian Madigan like isn't he one i've read to star for Ireland in future! Has he really got that potential.
Also think Ryan and Ruddock probably will get game time over christmas but will be interesting if like of BOD etc are given the festive season off like some of Munster players

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 21 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is story with Ian Madigan like isn't he one i've read to star for Ireland in future! Has he really got that potential.
Also think Ryan and Ruddock probably will get game time over christmas but will be interesting if like of BOD etc are given the festive season off like some of Munster players[/b]
Madigan has a couple of Magners League appearances for Leinster. He reminds me a little of Paul Warwick in that he's an attacking 10 who's asked to do a job at fullback. He certainly has a future in the game but probably needs to concentrate on one position. Hopefully shifting back and forth from one position to another won't have the same effect on him that it did on Jeremy Staunton.

He could be well advised to seek a move to Ulster or Connacht in search of game time next season. I think he'd have a chance to start at fullback for Ulster and also be their backup 10 behind Ian Humphreys. At Connacht he'd be a fixture in their 22/23 man squads.

Leinster will probably rotate their team quite a bit over the next 3 games against Ulster, Connacht and Glasgow. I wouldn't be at all surprised if academy players Rhys Ruddock, Dominic Ryan and Ian McKinley all see varying amount of action (probably off the bench) in a couple of those games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 21 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 21 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also think Ryan and Ruddock probably will get game time over christmas but will be interesting if like of BOD etc are given the festive season off like some of Munster players[/b]
Madigan has a couple of Magners League appearances for Leinster. He reminds me a little of Paul Warwick in that he's an attacking 10 who's asked to do a job at fullback. He certainly has a future in the game but probably needs to concentrate on one position. Hopefully shifting back and forth from one position to another won't have the same effect on him that it did on Jeremy Staunton.

He could be well advised to seek a move to Ulster or Connacht in search of game time next season. I think he'd have a chance to start at fullback for Ulster and also be their backup 10 behind Ian Humphreys. At Connacht he'd be a fixture in their 22/23 man squads.

Leinster will probably rotate their team quite a bit over the next 3 games against Ulster, Connacht and Glasgow. I wouldn't be at all surprised if academy players Rhys Ruddock, Dominic Ryan and Ian McKinley all see varying amount of action (probably off the bench) in a couple of those games.
[/b][/quote]
If he anything near Paul Warwick then yes he will have very bright future but do you think fact that Leinster have so many good academy prospects that some might try to skip steps of progression and go abroad. Like I surprised McFadden is still there as he'd be great player for any GP team. Think Munster have really went 'laxy-daisy' in Developing players like even our schools rugby has went backwards

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 22 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If he anything near Paul Warwick then yes he will have very bright future but do you think fact that Leinster have so many good academy prospects that some might try to skip steps of progression and go abroad. Like I surprised McFadden is still there as he'd be great player for any GP team. Think Munster have really went 'laxy-daisy' in Developing players like even our schools rugby has went backwards[/b]
I think quite a number of Leinster academy and backup players will move to other clubs and provinces. If you're a fullback in the Leinster academy, are you going to move ahead of Rob Kearney and Isa Nacewa? Likewise, is an openside likely to beat Shane Jennings and Sean O'Brien to the 7 shirt for a while? Leinster's squad is so strong at present that only a handful of academy players will likely make it at their home province. That's not to say that those who don't sign contracts are bad players - look at Felix Jones, Fionn Carr and Ian Keatley for example.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Ian McKinley, Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken and Jack McGrath are the academy players most likely to earn full contracts over the next couple of years. Shane Monahan, Ian Madigan, Niall Morris and Paul Ryan are all good enough to play pro rugby next year but I'm not certain their careers will be best served by staying at Leinster.

McFadden could be a good example of a player who needs to move. He's a 13 and is blocked by Brian O'Driscoll. Coming up behind him are Eoin O'Malley and Brendan Macken. McFadden is good enough to play regularly yet there's no way he'll pass BOD for at least a couple of years. Is he going to wait and risk being usurped by one of the academy graduates? To better his career he should seek a move to a club who'll play him regularly at Heineken Cup level - a team like Leicester who've raided Leinster frequently over the last decade and a bit by taking in Geordan Murphy, Johne Murphy, Leo Cullen, Shane Jennings, Eric Miller, Gavin Hickie and eh, Owen Finegan. I'd hate to see McFadden leave but it may be a good decision to move for both him and Irish rugby.

A Leinster Development XV defeated the Ireland Under-20's 17-6 in a challenge match at a bitterly cold UCD on Tuesday afternoon...
Academy back-row forward Paul Ryan capped a fine opening with a 25th minute try after some clever play from close in and Ian McKinley's conversion gave the home side a 7-0 lead.

McKinley extended the lead to 10-0 moments before the break with a penalty as Leinster turned the screw.

Ireland, to their credit clawed their way back into the game through efforts from Brian Kingston and sub James McKinney before a 74th effort from Niall Morris provided the space that the hosts required with a superb counter attacking try, which Ian Madigan converted, to seal a determined and deserved win.

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT SCORERS: N Morris, P Ryan (1 try each), I McKinley (2 penalties), I Madigan (1 conversion)

IRELAND UNDER-20 SCORERS: B Kingston, J McKinney (1 penalty each)

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT: I Madigan; S Monahan, E O'Malley CAPTAIN, K Tonetti, M Keating; I McKinley, D Moore; J McGrath, J Harris-Wright, J O'Connell, C Ruddock, M Flanagan, E Sheriff, J Murphy, P Ryan

REPLACEMENTS: R Strauss for Harris-Wright 47 mins; N Morris for McKinley 61 mins; C Lily for Monahan, R Bent for Murphy, D Hudson for Keating all 65 mins; M Moore for O'Connell, C Mallon for Ruddock both 75 mins

IRELAND UNDER-20: A Conway; T O'Halloran, B Macken, D McSharry, S Zebo; B Kingston, M Heaney; D Buckley, R Byrne, S Maguire, B Marshall, B Hayes, D Ryan, B O'Hara CAPTAIN, P Butler

REPLACEMENTS: C O'Hanlon for Zebo 27 mins; R O'Sullivan for O'Hara, B Cagney for Buckley, J Robinson for Maguire all ht; D O'Callaghan for Marshall, R Ruddock for Ryan, E Griffin for O'Halloran all 48 mins; D Doyle for Byrne, J Cooney for Heaney both 62 mins; J McKinney for Kingston 64 mins[/b]

Aye tis a tough bind for a young Leinster lad coming up. It's actually quite a young team we have at present(excluding the centres and hooker) so you'd imagine that most of those boys are going to be there for a while. If I was an academy player looking for say a backrow spot I'd think "Jasus, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are still young lads. What chance do I have of breaking into the team". We may actually lose alot of outstanding talent over the next few years, hopefully to the benefit of Connacht.

So are both of Mike Ruddock's sons going to play for Ireland if they become good enough? I knew Ciaran was but always thought Rhys was going to plump for Wales.

Latest posts