• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Any idea how tall Larmour is? I think coming in at 5 foot 9 is holding Dardis back big time, the back three is no place for small men anymore. 2, 9, 10, 12 and 13 are the only places you really find anyone under 5'11 without exceptional talent anymore.
Not sure what height he is. At a guess, he looks about 5'10".

I presume he was moved to 15 to get him on the ball more and help him with his running lines when he moves back to the wing. Just feel that given Leinster's age profile, it could become a more permanent switch.

Any idea if James Lowe can play 15? That's the other option open the Leinster.

Not sure what height he is. At a guess, he looks about 5'10".

I presume he was moved to 15 to get him on the ball more and help him with his running lines when he moves back to the wing. Just feel that given Leinster's age profile, it could become a more permanent switch.

Any idea if James Lowe can play 15? That's the other option open the Leinster.

I've just seen his highlight videos but he was definitely playing his provincial games at 15, I don't know if he ever played there for the Chiefs.

I've just seen his highlight videos but he was definitely playing his provincial games at 15, I don't know if he ever played there for the Chiefs.
Thanks. Had read he has experience at 15 but didn't find evidence of it. Perhaps that's the way Leinster will lean. Bed Lowe in on the wing initially and push him to 15 in his second season once he's had a pre-season with Leinster and Isa Nacewa has likely retired.

He doesn't seem to have kicked on. Can happen sometimes. Brendan Macken was another extremely highly touted player who didn't reach the heights expected as was Andrew Conway up who up until recently wasn't fulfilling his potential. May still be time for Dardis as he's only just turned 22.

Very hard to predict who the underage players who'll make it as star players will be. For every Dardis, Macken or Conway, there's a Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Stuart McCloskey, Garry Ringrose or John Ryan who come on the scene late having previously been missed by talent spotters.

Thats true just he seemed so natural and good. Always impressed me when I seen him but you never hear much of him. Obviously he's playing A games etc just thought he'd have kicked on to get few Pro12 games.

On Lowe. Have seen him at 15 too he's a good player and having seen him up close in Maori game I think he's just a lovely runner with ball. That night was wet but he still just glided and took angles lovely. I think his game will only improve working with Nacewa who in my eyes is 1 of the most natural players with ball in hand to ever play in Ireland.

Mike Ross isn't getting his contract renewed apparently with Andrew Porter being groomed as a tighthead.

Given the announcements of Scott Fardy, James Lowe and the academy upgrades, Leinster have nine new players on senior contracts for next year. That would suggest there'll be roughly nine departures. Any thoughts on who they may be?

Mike McCarthy and Zane Kirchner are confirmed departures. Mike Ross is likely according to the Sunday Times. If I was to guess at the others, they'd be Hayden Triggs (James Ryan was upgraded), Dominic Ryan (Peadar Timmins upgraded; too far down the depth chart yet still talented enough to start for a lot of teams), Cathal Marsh (makes way for Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne), Barry Daly (James Lowe takes his spot) and Billy Dardis (does Jordan Larmour have more upside?). Perhaps one of Ian Nagle and Mick Kearney too as Oisín Dowling has been highly spoken about the the Irish u20 coaching staff and may need fast-tracking.

Rumours were Ross will be offered year here as a reserve. We are short here on depth. Have heard Billy Dardis and Byrne ywons are sweating at moment too.

Rumours were Ross will be offered year here as a reserve. We are short here on depth.
Would make a lot of sense. He's slowing down but still has a lot to offer. Is a better option than Stephen Archer and can step into a good coaching role once he retires. At Leinster, John Fogarty is still young and doing a great job with the scrummaging units so Mike Ross' pathway could be blocked.

Mike Ross doesn't get half as much credit as he deserves. Got his first 6 Nations start at 31 and went on to win over 60 caps. Was Ireland's only option at tighthead for a long time and helped turn Ireland's scrum from a joke to respectability. His hard work and perseverance paid off.

Would make a lot of sense. He's slowing down but still has a lot to offer. Is a better option than Stephen Archer and can step into a good coaching role once he retires. At Leinster, John Fogarty is still young and doing a great job with the scrummaging units so Mike Ross' pathway could be blocked.

Mike Ross doesn't get half as much credit as he deserves. Got his first 6 Nations start at 31 and went on to win over 60 caps. Was Ireland's only option at tighthead for a long time and helped turn Ireland's scrum from a joke to respectability. His hard work and perseverance paid off.

100% agree. On coaching to be fair Fla is doing superb job too but on playing side he'd certainly make 18 his jersey and as you say offer alot

More contract extensions yesterday, most notably Adam Byrne and Dan leavy, here's the updated list.

1. Adam Byrne, 20 Leinster Caps (LC), 11 Tries (T)
2. Bryan Byrne, 18 LC, 3 T
3. Ed Byrne, 7 LC, 1 T
4. Jack Conan, 1 Ireland Cap (IC), 47 LC, 14 T
5. Barry Daly, 9 LC, 3 T
6. Tom Daly, 7 LC, 2 T
7. Jamie Heaslip, 95 IC, 6 British & Irish Lions Caps, 229 LC, 38 T
8. Mick Kearney, 18 LC, 0 T
9. Dan Leavy, 2 IC, 34 LC, 7 T
10. Luke McGrath, 2 IC, 71 LC, 20 T
11. Jordi Murphy, 17 IC, 86 LC, 15 T
12. Ian Nagle, 8 LC, 0 T
13. Noel Reid, 1 IC, 79 LC, 12 T
14. Richardt Strauss, 17 IC, 143 LC, 11 T
15. Devin Toner, 47 IC, 194 LC, 3 T

Pretty nuch retaining everyone. Good business especially considering alot will be missing

We obviously not getting Leavy but equally he wasn't a vital signing and Conor Oliver is a guy I've hopes for

We obviously not getting Leavy but equally he wasn't a vital signing and Conor Oliver is a guy I've hopes for

I'd have been very annoyed to lose Leavy to a side with 4 international backrows! I imagine Dom Ryan is on his last contract with us, Heaslip too obviously and maybe SOB as well so we really do have to keep our young talent.

So that leaves

Players confirmed leaving
McCarthy
Trigger
Kirchener

No contract yet
Ross
McFadden
Cronin
Dominic Ryan
Nacewa
Dardis

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd have been very annoyed to lose Leavy to a side with 4 international backrows! I imagine Dom Ryan is on his last contract with us, Heaslip too obviously and maybe SOB as well so we really do have to keep our young talent.

As I said I would've been glad to get him but I think Oliver can be an international. So 7 wasn't priority. Suprised Nagle and M Kearney both got 1 and Byrne twins.

Billy Dardis isn't on that list so presumably he's off

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-leavy-conan-leinster-contracts-2017-3324869-Apr2017/

Number eight Conan has been particularly impressive and The42 understands that the Old Belvedere man had an option to move to Ulster next season. However, the 24-year-old has opted to remain with his native province.

Similarly, it's understood that Munster chased Leavy's signature ahead of next season, but he too decided to stay put at Leinster and continue to compete with the likes of Sean O'Brien, Josh van der Flier, Conan, Murphy and more of the province's back row talent.
Glad Leinster managed to hold onto Conan and Leavy despite interest from other provinces.

I'm sure Dominic Ryan will pick up a decent contract elsewhere. Good player who needs a run of games. Leinster's depth of talent in the backrow is staggering so he's unlikely to get another opportunity for his home province.

Per Gavin Cummiskey in the Irish Times, Leinster have also re-signed their entire coaching team. Two year contracts for Leo Cullen, Stuart Lancaster and John Fogarty with Girvan Dempsey getting a one year deal.

Last edited:
Why is Girv only getting 1 year?

Ryan will do up in Ulster.
No information on the lengths though rumour is 1 year for Leavy and Conan

Leinster are changing their kit supplier for the 2018/19 season from Canterbury to adidas. Adidas must be delighted to finally supply a marquee Irish team with playing kit ;). I'm indifferent either way. If it's worthwhile financially to switch, Leinster are doing the right thing. Article also says Leinster gear will only be available in Lifestyle Sports outlets.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...o-sign-deal-with-leinster-rugby-35632733.html

Latest posts