• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Denis Leamy has accepted a coaching role in the Leinster academy.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/ru...-for-role-with-leinster-academy-38499049.html

I know nothing about his coaching career to date other than what's said in the link above. Presumably backrow is his area of expertise.
Excellent coach and believe it or not Snoop he is a brilliant attack coach too with great back moves. Obviously a superb back row mentor but I'd rate him higher as a backs coach as opposed to forwards.

i'd be skeptical to allow him to work with young leinster players given his obvious ties/loyalty to another province.

i'd be skeptical to allow him to work with young leinster players given his obvious ties/loyalty to another province.
You do know the main man responsible to Leinster's academy is a man with ties to Munster rugby grass roots and has done ok.
I'm sure any coach that goes to any province for like Leamy would hardly set up to fail in the hope it benefits Munster. All that'd mean is he'd be dumped with a poor record, Leinster will recover rapid (even the hit would not be noticeable) and Leamy would destroy hopes of working in IRFU umbrella.

What if Stuart Lancaster lures Scott Penney and Harry Byrne to Leeds :eek: he played for them for nine years and coached with them for six more!!
Good for Leamy though. He seems to be well respected wherever he's worked.

Leamy was pure class in his day, his rep suffered a bit when Kidney insisted on playing him ahead of better, younger players when he was on the wane but that's no fault of his own. If he brings that over to coaching he'll be a strong acquisition.

Leamy was pure class in his day, his rep suffered a bit when Kidney insisted on playing him ahead of better, younger players when he was on the wane but that's no fault of his own. If he brings that over to coaching he'll be a strong acquisition.
Wasn't Kidney more that Leamy had the brain and the game but the body just couldn't do it anymore. He learnt under the likes of Axel, Quinny and Jim Williams. Whatever you think of those guys 1 thing you can't deny is they knew the game upstairs in their brain.
I've no doubt that is part of why Leinster want him in developing their guys. Teaching the skills is vital of course but the thinking side of it can be a monumental difference.

You do know the main man responsible to Leinster's academy is a man with ties to Munster rugby grass roots and has done ok.
I'm sure any coach that goes to any province for like Leamy would hardly set up to fail in the hope it benefits Munster. All that'd mean is he'd be dumped with a poor record, Leinster will recover rapid (even the hit would not be noticeable) and Leamy would destroy hopes of working in IRFU umbrella.

Yes I do know.

Leamy long term will want to coach at Munster, Leinster are giving access to their young players to a coach who could possibly use that access later to recruit players south. It's a risk.

Last edited:
What if Stuart Lancaster lures Scott Penney and Harry Byrne to Leeds :eek: he played for them for nine years and coached with them for six more!!
Good for Leamy though. He seems to be well respected wherever he's worked.

Stuart Lancaster isn't going to try and coach leeds in the future.

Wasn't Kidney more that Leamy had the brain and the game but the body just couldn't do it anymore. He learnt under the likes of Axel, Quinny and Jim Williams. Whatever you think of those guys 1 thing you can't deny is they knew the game upstairs in their brain.
I've no doubt that is part of why Leinster want him in developing their guys. Teaching the skills is vital of course but the thinking side of it can be a monumental difference.

Leamy was a hardly a cerebral player, he was a hard working, tough player who once he lost his athleticism and power was no longer as effective.

Must sicken him somewhat to be working for Leinster, given how he was one of the more vocal anti-leinster voices the past decade in the media and when playing against leinster.

Anyway Charlie Ward didn't end up playing Loosehead for the A team, Milne started and Harry Noonan was on the bench. Ward came on at TH Prop for Clarkson.

Stuart Lancaster isn't going to try and coach leeds in the future.
Oh Jesus I thought you were joking. Firstly what's to stop McNamara doing the same based on your logic? You've pulled the assumption that Leamy will want to coach Munster from thin air. Firstly he was already coaching in Munster and was lured to Leinster presumably for pay, advancement opportunity and an all out better role, y'know like anyone with career ambition. If he moves again it will likely be for the same reasons, no matter the team. The notion that Munster will be the ones to offer him that opportunity are pie in the sky as well especially considering no one in the current senior coaching set up has much of a relationship with Leamy. If Leinster want to keep Leamy why wouldn't he stay? Also I'd imagine any coach with half a brain will know not to burn his bridges in a province if his ultimate ambition is the Irish set up for obvious reasons.
I would have zero reservations taking a former Leinster coach on in a similar capacity.

Oh Jesus I thought you were joking. Firstly what's to stop McNamara doing the same based on your logic? You've pulled the assumption that Leamy will want to coach Munster from thin air. Firstly he was already coaching in Munster and was lured to Leinster presumably for pay, advancement opportunity and an all out better role, y'know like anyone with career ambition. If he moves again it will likely be for the same reasons, no matter the team. The notion that Munster will be the ones to offer him that opportunity are pie in the sky as well especially considering no one in the current senior coaching set up has much of a relationship with Leamy. If Leinster want to keep Leamy why wouldn't he stay? Also I'd imagine any coach with half a brain will know not to burn his bridges in a province if his ultimate ambition is the Irish set up for obvious reasons.
I would have zero reservations taking a former Leinster coach on in a similar capacity.

McNamara is less likely to move back to Munster IMO.

Of course Leamy will want to coach Munster, to suggest otherwise is bizarre

He wasn't lured to Leinster by Leinster, he applied for the position as he wasn't progressing through Munster ranks.

At the end of the day Leamy is a Munster man, if he was offered a similar role as Munster, I'd have no doubt he move back south and he would go back south with established relationships with young leinster players he could try to use to lure those players south.

As I said it's a risk to take a coach who loyalty is unquestionably upto this point to your biggest rivals. But if he has been deemed the best man for the job ill be interested to see how he goes at leinster, given his past hatred for the province he is now working for.

Last edited:
Leamy is a Munster man, if he was offered a similar role as Munster, I'd have no doubt he move back south and he would go back south with established relationships with young leinster players he could try to use to lure those players south.
There's a massive slice of irony here, no?

Anyway sounds like Harry Byrne, Tommy O'Brien and Gavin Mullin were excellent against Ulster A.

O'Brien only played a half, hopefully he was removed at HT as a precaution.

Hows that?
Munster man loyal to Munster, Leinster men not loyal to Leinster...

Every single person is going to be looking out for their own best interests and nothing else, currently any young player who's good enough is best served at Leinster. If Leamy does his job well that continues, if he doesn't he won't get a job at Munster.

Leinster are going to lose good players to Munster, it's a numbers game, but Denis Leamy will need a bigger bargaining chip than a prior working relationship to lure anyone in this overly hypothetical world you're residing in.

Munster man loyal to Munster, Leinster men not loyal to Leinster...

Every single person is going to be looking out for their own best interests and nothing else, currently any young player who's good enough is best served at Leinster. If Leamy does his job well that continues, if he doesn't he won't get a job at Munster.

Leinster are going to lose good players to Munster, it's a numbers game, but Denis Leamy will need a bigger bargaining chip than a prior working relationship to lure anyone in this overly hypothetical world you're residing in.

Leamy would obviously have more loyalty to Munster than a young Leinster player given his history with the province and playing career.

Knowing a coach in a province and having a prior working relationship with that coach would be a factor when player was considering a move.

Anyway it's irrelevant, he got the job, hopefully he is a good coach.

McNamara is less likely to move back to Munster IMO.

Of course Leamy will want to coach Munster, to suggest otherwise is bizarre

He wasn't lured to Leinster by Leinster, he applied for the position as he wasn't progressing through Munster ranks.

At the end of the day Leamy is a Munster man, if he was offered a similar role as Munster, I'd have no doubt he move back south and he would go back south with established relationships with young leinster players he could try to use to lure those players south.

As I said it's a risk to take a coach who loyalty is unquestionably upto this point to your biggest rivals. But if he has been deemed the best man for the job ill be interested to see how he goes at leinster, given his past hatred for the province he is now working for.
Why would Noel Mc be any less interested. Being honest you are making absolutely no sense. Why would Leamy leave Munster ladder to go to Leinster?
And the relationship comment is bizarre as his role is with young players yes but I'm sure he is same as Lancaster and any other coach that comes in to any province.

And just on the hopefully he is a good coach. Maybe look at his track record. He has more than prove he is up to the role and this is the next step on his career path.

Also I presume you never seen him much as a player basing on your views. When he was fit many ranked him on track to be one of the best backrows Ireland had produced ever at the stage. No he never got their through injuries but was an extremely intelligent player and there is many many examples of that. Injury wrecked any hope of hitting his potential.

Latest posts