• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Ryan Baird developing into a quality starting player. Dan Leavy and Tadhg Furlong soon to return. More opportunities for Harry Byrne. Looking forward to next season.

Not starting Josh and Kelleher turned out to be the wrong decision.

Curious why you think Connors was the wrong choice? I'd say he did exactly what he was selected for. Definitely does need to add more strings to his bow though.

Curious why you think Connors was the wrong choice? I'd say he did exactly what he was selected for. Definitely does need to add more strings to his bow though.
Thought Josh showed up really well off the bench. Connors did what he was picked for but I think me maybe were too focused on trying to contain Billy after last year and let other areas slip away.

Both have been brilliant this season but I think maybe a European debut in this game was too much.

Problem was depth at tight head I thought. Despite being good in open play, Andrew Porter clearly struggled in the scrum. Just wasn't his day. Shame Tadhg Furlong wasn't fit.

My biggest takeaway was Leinster need to develop prop depth. I've a lot of time for Michael Bent but he wasn't trusted to fix things. Blood Michael Milne and Tom Clarkson in a major way next season?

I won't criticize selections for the game at all because Leo Cullen hasn't been afraid to make ballsy calls and has been right more often than wrong. He showed guts in picking Hugo Keenan over Rob Kearney. Guts in selecting Ryan Baird over Scott Fardy. There were numerous other instances over the season.

The next major call will be at flyhalf. For now Johnny Sexton is the correct player to pick but the gap is closing. If Ross Byrne, Ciaran Frawley or Harry Byrne are better options, they'll be picked.

Last edited:
Problem was depth at right head I thought. Despite being good in open play, Andrew Porter clearly struggled in the scrum. Just wasn't his day. Shame Tadhg Furlong wasn't fit.

My biggest takeaway was Leinster need to develop prop depth. I've a lot of time for Michael Bent but he wasn't trusted to fix things. Blood Michael Milne and Tom Clarkson in a major way next season?

I won't criticize selections for the game at all because Leo Cullen hasn't been afraid to make ballsy calls and has been right more often than wrong. He showed guts in picking Hugo Keenan over Rob Kearney. Guts in selecting Ryan Baird over Scott Fardy. There were numerous other instances over the season.

The next major call will be at flyhalf. For now Johnny Sexton is the correct player to pick but the gap is closing. If Ross Byrne, Ciaran Frawley or Harry Byrne are better options, they'll be picked.
Big thing will be the condensed season next year for Leinster lads with high mileage

Also good news that Dan Leavy looks like he might play for Leinster A this weekend.

Also good news that Dan Leavy looks like he might play for Leinster A this weekend.

Was sometimes critical of both but overall 2 excellent competitors and glittering careers. Best of luck to both.
And a pity Rob couldn't get that big money last year he wanted abroad as he deserved it on the back of excellent service.
Both can look back with immense pride and Rob Kearney will forever be known as 1 of the lads that healed cracks and made Ireland become 1 back in Dec 2008 I believe it was.

Leinster Rugby 'A'

15. Michael Silvester
14. Tommy O'Brien
13. Jimmy O'Brien
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Cian Kelleher
10. Harry Byrne
9. Hugh O'Sullivan
1. Peter Dooley
2. James Tracy
3. Ciaran Parker
4. Jack Dunne
5. Charlie Ryan CAPTAIN
6. Josh Murphy
7. Scott Penny
8. Max Deegan

Replacements from:

Tom Clarkson
Niall Comerford
Cormac Foley
David Hawkshaw
Joe McCarthy
John McKee
Michael Milne
Martin Moloney
Ross Molony
Sean O'Brien
Rowan Osborne
Rhys Ruddock
Andrew Smith
Alex Soroka
Liam Turner

No Leavy but that's a really strong backrow, especially with Ruddock potentially coming off the bench. Curious to see how the Byrne - Frawley axis gets on. Could be the way to go in the future.

Leinster Rugby 'A'

15. Michael Silvester
14. Tommy O'Brien
13. Jimmy O'Brien
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Cian Kelleher
10. Harry Byrne
9. Hugh O'Sullivan
1. Peter Dooley
2. James Tracy
3. Ciaran Parker
4. Jack Dunne
5. Charlie Ryan CAPTAIN
6. Josh Murphy
7. Scott Penny
8. Max Deegan

Replacements from:

Tom Clarkson
Niall Comerford
Cormac Foley
David Hawkshaw
Joe McCarthy
John McKee
Michael Milne
Martin Moloney
Ross Molony
Sean O'Brien
Rowan Osborne
Rhys Ruddock
Andrew Smith
Alex Soroka
Liam Turner

No Leavy but that's a really strong backrow, especially with Ruddock potentially coming off the bench. Curious to see how the Byrne - Frawley axis gets on. Could be the way to go in the future.
Big rumours Ruddock is on way out and this seems to be an indicator. No injuries

Deegan has done his ACL, had surgery during the week and will be out for a few months.

Baird has an adductor strain and will be assessed by Leinster's medical staff maybe not the best sign as Kelleher, Porter and Sexton are being assessed by the IRFU's medical team.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Jimmy O'Brien (20)
14. Cian Kelleher (15)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (71)
12. Tommy O'Brien (5)
11. Dave Kearney (150)
10. Harry Byrne (12)
9. Luke McGrath (130)
1. Peter Dooley (77)
2. James Tracy (112)
3. Michael Bent (143)
4. Ross Molony (98)
5. Devin Toner (250)
6. Josh Murphy (34)
7. Scott Penny (15)
8. Rhys Ruddock (176) CAPTAIN

16. Dan Sheehan (1)
17. Michael Milne (10)
18. Tom Clarkson (2)
19. Jack Dunne (8)
20. Scott Fardy (63)
21. Hugh O'Sullivan (21)
22. David Hawkshaw
23. Dan Leavy (64)

Finding out there's just been a Leinster team being named on a Sunday is an unnatural feeling.

Not many changes from last time, good to see more Leavy and nice to see Hawkshaw's injury wasn't serious.

Excellent first half against a strong Glasgow side in tough conditions.

The two flankers and Byrne (even with two kicks on the full) the standouts for me. Bunch of others like Tracey, Ruddock and O'Brien putting in strong shifts two.

Some very encouraging performances last night. Jimmy O'Brien, Tommy O'Brien, Harry Byrne, Josh Murphy and Scott Penny were excellent. Nice mix of youth and experience in the side. Rhys Ruddock continued his stellar form.

Some very encouraging performances last night. Jimmy O'Brien, Tommy O'Brien, Harry Byrne, Josh Murphy and Scott Penny were excellent. Nice mix of youth and experience in the side. Rhys Ruddock continued his stellar form.
Rumours Ruddock on way out Snoop. Any word on this.
Have heard a lot of lads from all 4 provinces are being offered away due to restrictions. I know 1 or 2 here, POM argubally the big name here but Sexton being mentioned as another that will be not offered a new deal also.

Rumours Ruddock on way out Snoop. Any word on this.
Have heard a lot of lads from all 4 provinces are being offered away due to restrictions. I know 1 or 2 here, POM argubally the big name here but Sexton being mentioned as another that will be not offered a new deal also.
No idea. Would hate to see it but could understand.

There'll be a huge number of players who are on good wages yet aren't on the international radar. They could be low hanging fruit when it comes to cost cutting.

Latest posts