• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Ugo Monye has gone with Wainwright and Ritchie in his squad.
Ritchie did look brilliant v France at least

Wainwright should be as close to this squad as James Haskell

PS James Haskell to tour and do the interviews behind the scenes?

Ritchie did look brilliant v France at least

Wainwright should be as close to this squad as James Haskell

PS James Haskell to tour and do the interviews behind the scenes?

I don't know if you're being deliberately hyperbolic but that's harsh on Wainwright. Wainwright has a semi final against SA on his CV and has played for Wales this recent campaign. He's not looked like lions quality to be fair but neither has Underhill or the Sarencens boys and then you have people tipping people lie Simmonds who have little experience at the top level so I think it's harsh. Having said all that he wouldn't make my squad. Especially over someone like Navidi

Wainwright has a semi final against SA
Is that....is that really a selling point?
Especially when you dismiss Underhill in your next sentence, who has been playing well for Bath

I've always rated Rufus, but he should be way down the pecking order atm (I wouldn't take Simmonds, for what it's worth)

Is that....is that really a selling point?
Especially when you dismiss Underhill in your next sentence, who has been playing well for Bath

I've always rated Rufus, but he should be way down the pecking order atm (I wouldn't take Simmonds, for what it's worth)
A bit harsh to take that one line out of context. You already know I'm a massive fan of Underhill and I wasn't discounting him just responding to the point that while he's not looked like Lions quality neither has a lot of players so you wouldn't use that as your only metric for selection. I thought my post kinda of explained that.

I don't know if you're being deliberately hyperbolic but that's harsh on Wainwright. Wainwright has a semi final against SA on his CV and has played for Wales this recent campaign. He's not looked like lions quality to be fair but neither has Underhill or the Sarencens boys and then you have people tipping people lie Simmonds who have little experience at the top level so I think it's harsh. Having said all that he wouldn't make my squad. Especially over someone like Navidi
Yeah a little hyperbolic, but he's a good club player a workhorse but he's not remotely standout from what I've seen for Wales, barr a few games when he first came onto the scene a few years ago now
IDC if he played a semi, by that Logic, the entire england team should play because they reached a final.
Dunno what Monye is at there, some of these picks are way past even left field from so called rugby "experts"

Underhill has been pretty damn good for bath since coming back from his injury. I would be surprised not to see him in the squad.

He's a Gatland type of player.

Dunno what Monye is at there, some of these picks are way past even left field from so called rugby "experts"
Get even one right and you look like a genuis, otherwise well its just a crap listicle you were part of that's immediately forgotten.

Yeah a little hyperbolic, but he's a good club player a workhorse but he's not remotely standout from what I've seen for Wales, barr a few games when he first came onto the scene a few years ago now
IDC if he played a semi, by that Logic, the entire england team should play because they reached a final.
Cool I thought you were. Sorry I should've said he played a role in running SA close in a semi final as obviously I wouldn't have made the point if Wales got dominated and lost like England did in the final.

He's not played a whole lot of international rugby to be fair and while I like him and has a high ceiling I wouldn't have him in my squad. Stand by list maybe. Gatland is a big fan, though. Would still be shocked if he went.

Cool I thought you were. Sorry I should've said he played a role in running SA close in a semi final as obviously I wouldn't have made the point if Wales got dominated and lost like England did in the final.

He's not played a whole lot of international rugby to be fair and while I like him and has a high ceiling I wouldn't have him in my squad. Stand by list maybe. Gatland is a big fan, though. Would still be shocked if he went.
I'll ignore the first jibe, because again teams are irrelevant

But I think the main thing as to how outlandish this is, is that no one in this chat from my memory has picked him, no one at all. Hadnt even crossed the mind of most people I'd suggest. Though a quality stache, he does at least bring to the party

But I think the main thing as to how outlandish this is, is that no one in this chat from my memory has picked him, no one at all. Hadnt even crossed the mind of most people I'd suggest. Though a quality stache, he does at least bring to the party
What jibe?

Just on calling Gatland conservative re selections. I'm not entirely sure. His gameplan definitely is but he's also the guy who wanted D'arcy to play for Ireland while still in school and played Prydie, North and Halfpenny at incredibly young ages. It definitely is less pronounced with the Lions though because why wouldn't it be? You're not building for the future and have probably the shortest term goals of any coach out there.

I mean in 2017 people suggested players like Denny Solomona, Nathan Hughes, Sean Cronin and Donnacha Ryan

Solomona like a lot of players currently entirely on club form

The 2nd paragraph is also an extremely weak argument if you think about it.

The 2nd paragraph is also an extremely weak argument if you think about it.
The fact even welsh fans here, including yourself wouldnt have picked him or really gone near him given the back row options available, which are insanely strong, is pretty damning

And better argument than "he lost a game to SA by less than England players" as if that has any actual value. Lets face it, Wales werent beating NZ in the other semi. Or could say England Hammered Australia but Wales won by 4 points, so that says it all about when you're comparing matches as someone being "good"

But as I mentioned, quality stache, much enjoyed

Latest posts