• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next great fly half

I agree. Altough this season his form just seemed to drop in the middle of the sixnations, and it showed in the regular season aswell. If he was onform Leicester might have taken the ***le again.

Still hoping Jonny gets his chance with Youngs and he plays like he plays for Toulon. And before.

p.s. funny avatar ^,^

I don't rate sexton as a world class flyhalf, he's decent. Maybe he can develop, who knows? But I think Flood is better at the moment.

Not a big Hook fan, he might be a decent flyhalf someday but for me he hasen't shown anything special as a flyhalf.

Sexton is a good distributer and tackler. Can kick goals from the half-way line and good at drop-goals. Has a brilliant kick percantage and can control a game. Flood can do most of these things but is a bottler. Sexton has the bonus of being a strong leader.

Flood can grow out of that, what you do get with Flood next to all those above is that he can break the line. He does it with Leicester and he does it with England. I think Sexton is a decent flyhalf, just think Flood has something extra.

Flood is nowhere near TD or Sexton at the moment.

I hope that during the RWC Wilkinson will be as good as he is when he plays for Toulon, otherwise you will have troubles with your 10-12-13 axis.

I disagree that Flood is nowhere near, I actually think he's better at the moment. But I do agree that Jonny should play with Youngs for a change, he's been getting up to his old form at toulon and behind the English pack he could dominate the game with Youngs.

The best fly half after Carter is tight in my opinion

I would say it was between Flood, Sexton, Trinh-Duc and Cooper

all have their strengths and weaknesses, but it is tight

(the 2007 Juan Martin Hernandez would probably be the best after Carter, but I don't know if he's still good)

I don't like on this thread that certain people who think for example that Sexton is the best after Carter, have to justify this by saying all the others are sh*t

it's close between who is better between Flood,Trinh-Duc and Sexton, yet this thread would seem to think there is miles difference

True, but being English I will always support and watch Flood more than Sexton/TD. They're tight. Cooper is ahead of those 3 tho. Purely on his attacking brilliance.

Hernandez was great at the WC'07, but injuries ruined that. Don't think he has even played this year?

Still rooting for one last bit of WC brilliance from Wilko tho. ;)

Such a shame that Nick Evans is from New Zealand - any other country and I reckon he'd be pushing Carter close

Last edited:
Look I know I might sound Bias and all but I very much doubt Sexton will do what Cipraini did for 2 reasons; 1. He's a better player 2. Hes not a dick/cocky did dick.

He's not outright a better player. Cipriani has more more attacking flair, good kicking, tactically he's not bad except when he loses his mind and does something ridiculous. Defensively Sexton is miles better, but overall its more complicated than Sexton being better...

I'd know one thing, if I had the choice, I would rather be passing the ball to Sexton than to Cipriani. Cipriani might do something amazing one second and then give away a try the other. Sexton just doesnt do that.

Look I know I might sound Bias and all but I very much doubt Sexton will do what Cipraini did for 2 reasons; 1. He's a better player 2. Hes not a dick/cocky did dick.

Yes he is. He's a 10. All 10s are dicks.

Hook... /keed

To be fair though Matthew Morgan should hopefully develop into a cracking player, seems he's almost there now (for pro 12 level) in a year or two playing in the Pro 12 he should be ready for Wales.. Overall in the world however besides cooper no-one is really close to carter, Hernandez was up there but not sure now due to injuries.. Sexton is certanly up there too..

He's not outright a better player. Cipriani has more more attacking flair, good kicking, tactically he's not bad except when he loses his mind and does something ridiculous. Defensively Sexton is miles better, but overall its more complicated than Sexton being better...

The big difference is that Cipriani has the mind of a 5 year old.

The big difference is that Cipriani has the mind of a 5 year old.

Im no fan of Cipriani but thats a bit daft, he had a few good seasons then went off the boil and started believing his own press. There is nothing to say Sexton will not go the same way.

Im no fan of Cipriani but thats a bit daft, he had a few good seasons then went off the boil and started believing his own press. There is nothing to say Sexton will not go the same way.

Cipriani is like 5 year old because he doesn't want to tackle the big boys and one second is motivated the next he can't be bothered. Sexton gives his all and is always consistent or improving so consistently improving.

The fact Cipriani is being discussed on this thread is laughable.

I second this.

*says a scrumhalf ;p*

I agree until Cipriani can get his defence sorted and play well for a whole season, he isn't going to be a worldclass flyhalf. Nevermind all the stupid things he does outside of rugby.

To be fair to Cippers he does try to tackle the big boys, it just never works :p

Yes unlike a certain Quade Cooper who just dives out of the way most of the time :p.

To be fair to Cippers he does try to tackle the big boys, it just never works :p

... sometimes.

If someone could straighten out the demons in Cipriani's head, he could be the next big thing. I grow increasingly pessimistic about this ever happening.

This is the truest thing said on this thread.

Latest posts