• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Reconstruction of Irish Rugby 2016

Dooley will be in contention in next 18 months. In my eyes Healy will be fighting to be in 23 in next 2 years. And that's not slamming Healy just more recognition Leinster have great props coming through.

Depends on whether Healy can get himself back to being properly fit. I think he needs to take a sabbatical and give his body a rest. He has plenty of time on his side.

I like the look of Dooley though. Wouldn't surprise me to see him pass out Jack McGrath in the next year or two.

Henshaw released and now hear Fitz pulls up injured.
Could be some back tracking done before start time.

Was already confirmed by Schmidt he was released back to get game time and will probably play 40-60 mins for Connacht.

Cronin was released back to us and again looks like he may be 17.

Is Henshaw being released in to get more game time ahead of next week or because he's not part of next weeks plans and game time is another benefit. Hope it's the former but given the way Joe usually operates it expect its the latter. I think based on that a McCloskey-Marshal/Payne axis is likely.

Is Henshaw being released in to get more game time ahead of next week or because he's not part of next weeks plans and game time is another benefit. Hope it's the former but given the way Joe usually operates it expect its the latter. I think based on that a McCloskey-Marshal/Payne axis is likely.

Ahead of next week. He's only played against the Russian team so just to get an extra 40-60 mins it was said.

Show's the thoroughness of the man that he name checks Peter Dooley who would have been Leinster's 5th choice loosehead at the start of the year.
Ireland are blessed for loosehead options at the moment, a far cry to when Marcus Horan was the only semi decent player the national team had. Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, James Cronin, Dave Kilcoyne and Michael Bent are a quality bunch of established players. Denis Buckley, Kyle McCall, Peter Dooley and Edward Byrne will ensure they're kept of their toes. Shifting one of Michael Bent, Peter Dooley or Edward Byrne to Ulster or Connacht would improve depth even more.

I'd love to see a Stuart McCloskey/Robbie Henshaw partnership in midfield with Jared Payne moved to fullback.

Henshaw released and now hear Fitz pulls up injured.
Could be some back tracking done before start time.

Fitz hobbled off, supported by the physio, didn't look good. Further to that, the backline being used today in training was Murray, Jackson, Kearney Jnr, Fitz, Payne, Trimble, Robert

Fitz hobbled off, supported by the physio, didn't look good. Further to that, the backline being used today in training was Murray, Jackson, Kearney Jnr, Fitz, Payne, Trimble, Robert

Wasn't there but the media reported Fitz could've pulled hamstring.
They also had backline you had except they said Zebo was on left wing and D Kearney on the right. Not Trimble.

That'll probably be the team then not terrible but my preference would be

9. Murray
10. Jackson/Sexton take your pick here.
11. Earls
12. McCloskey
13. Henshaw
14. Trimble
15. Payne

That'll probably be the team then not terrible but my preference would be

9. Murray
10. Jackson/Sexton take your pick here.
11. Earls
12. McCloskey
13. Henshaw
14. Trimble
15. Payne

fairly spot on. swap earls for fitz (if fit) or d kearney

Ireland are blessed for loosehead options at the moment, a far cry to when Marcus Horan was the only semi decent player the national team had. Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, James Cronin, Dave Kilcoyne and Michael Bent are a quality bunch of established players. Denis Buckley, Kyle McCall, Peter Dooley and Edward Byrne will ensure they're kept of their toes. Shifting one of Michael Bent, Peter Dooley or Edward Byrne to Ulster or Connacht would improve depth even more.

I'd love to see a Stuart McCloskey/Robbie Henshaw partnership in midfield with Jared Payne moved to fullback.

Would love Dooley or Byrne (or Andrew Porter if the hype machine is true) but with McCall, Warwick (assuming this is just a 2nd season lull and he finds his best form again) and Black, we're damn well served.

Surely one of these looseheads has the ability to make the tighthead switch, and the ambition to do so when the options there are pretty bloody awful?

Surely one of these looseheads has the ability to make the tighthead switch, and the ambition to do so when the options there are pretty bloody awful?
Word is that Jeremy Loughman is being moved to 3. I'd like to see another one tried at hooker too maybe. Perhaps Edward Byrne's explosiveness would be better served there.

Forgot about Andrew Porter. Another quality prospect.

In a dour game, Peter Dooley played pretty well tonight. If we're talking about the reconstruction of Irish rugby long term, Ross Molony was terrific again. I think he's forced his way into Leinster's strongest 23 and could push very hard for a starting place next season. He seems to have it all.

Word is that Jeremy Loughman is being moved to 3. I'd like to see another one tried at hooker too maybe. Perhaps Edward Byrne's explosiveness would be better served there.

Forgot about Andrew Porter. Another quality prospect.

In a dour game, Peter Dooley played pretty well tonight. If we're talking about the reconstruction of Irish rugby long term, Ross Molony was terrific again. I think he's forced his way into Leinster's strongest 23 and could push very hard for a starting place next season. He seems to have it all.

Can't imagine Byrne wanting to compete for a place directly with his twin. Maybe better to target someone like Porter himself, who's that bit younger.

Speaking of young Leinster locks and the long term, at what point do you think James Ryan will be ready for provincial rugby?

Speaking of young Leinster locks and the long term, at what point do you think James Ryan will be ready for provincial rugby?
Very hard to know. I suspect he'll have a year at A/B&I Cup level and another year captaining the A squad before moving up to regular provincial rugby anyway. Supposedly he looked excellent for Leinster A last time out. He's certainly big enough already but he's just 19 and in his first year out of school. Long term James Ryan, Ross Molony and Mick Kearney should have Leinster in a good place.

Loughman played tighthead his last year of schools and certainly has the size and strength for it but I always felt his technique was lacking at 3. In fairness he did play most of his rugby at 8 up until fifth year as far as I know. Out of the ones who are currently playing loosehead he's certainly the one with the best raw tools (just over Porter) to play tighthead at a professional level (that's ignoring Bent of course).

Ryan's a weird one. In fourth year he was playing brilliantly and was already being touted as a future international. Of course some of that was due to him having the raw physical attributes which are pretty uncommon in Ireland but his performances certainly merited some hype. However I felt over his last two years in school that anytime I saw him he was good but not really that far above his contemporaries. Now though he seems to be earning positive reviews for his performances for Lansdowne's firsts and Leinster A. He's someone I'm going to be keeping a close eye on in the u20 6N. I think there's a lot about him to like but there's something in the back of my mind which says he may not ever be the player we want him to be not that would necessarily mean that he won't be a good player. Of course all of this is based on a limited sample size and a certain amount of hearsay so it's probably all bull**** but kinda just felt like typing it out.

Anyway I wouldn't expect him to play for the first team for at least another two years unless there's an injury crisis.

Cheers for that BG8 - obviously all I know about him is the hype (which has been huge). Wouldn't be at all surprised that a lot of it was based on being genuinely lock big (rather than a long line of lads who are big but at the small end of the bracket for the position) but the chat after the Leinster A game got my attention. Lock's certainly a position where Ireland need a tranche of new options in two years top (hence a one year contract for FvdM but all other lock signings turned down). It seems to me there's a lot of potential kicking about but who knows who'll make it and at what sort of pace.

I have to say this is an area I'm hopeful for Ulster on. Partially because cutting loose the Stevenson rocket and the limited contract for FvdM will force things, but Alexander Thompson and Kieran Treadwell are both genuinely lock big so there's a chance one will make it. Still haven't quite given up on Donnan either, although he's more AOC/Tuohy size. Suspect/hope Tuohy will either have to find regular form and fitness or leave, which would be good for Ulster at least.

What's the word on Donnan and Thompson right now? Donnan looked really good at underage level and Thompson was well hyped but didn't quite live up to it from what I saw.

What's the word on Donnan and Thompson right now? Donnan looked really good at underage level and Thompson was well hyped but didn't quite live up to it from what I saw.

Not a huge amount of word about either. Kiss' words seemed to be that they'll get the chances from Stevenson going but it looks like Browne gets one last shot first. Would agree with your take on the two at underage level - Thompson didn't look like he was done putting muscle on his frame at that level (or anywhere near).

What a comeback from Olding, hope to God he gets a good run injury free, remarkable semblance to he who's like we'll never see again.

Last edited:
Hearing rumours Fitzgerald is out of the 6 Nations with a knee injury?

Poor guy can never catch a break...

Latest posts