• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

And out goes Cam Norrie. Shame; made a few mistakes in that final set tiebreaker. Looking like a men's semi final line up of Alcaraz v Medvedev and Sinner v Djokovic in the offering.

Women's- looks like between Sabalenka and Gauff. But they are on the same side of the draw.

Sinner v Medvedev final. An interesting one. On paper Medvedev should win based on this being his 6th GS final and Sinner's first and leads their head to head 6-3. But Sinner should be fresher given Medvedev has been through back back 5 setters and one in the first week. I see this one going 5 sets but hope Sinner comes through for his first GS.

Ultimately up to him when he retires. He has nothing to prove and his legacy was completed when he won Wimbledon. But got to question why he keeps playing? He doesn't look like he's enjoying it on court anymore and he parted yet again with Lendl last year. That competitive spirit was what drove him to compete with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer.

Noticed he's definitely lost that bit of foot speed when he lost at the AO. That and losing that consistency on his first serve means he's never going to be a force again at the very top level.

Right call to win some matches and tournaments. Only return if he can.

Sadly a sign of the times in tennis. Few juniors are taught the shot and best of both worlds with the double hander: more power and slice with one hand.

I wish he'd just do what Federer and Nadal have done and just announce when he will, instead of hinting, which he's been doing the last 5 years. They even did a tribute video for him at the AO in anticipation of his impending retirement. Virginia Wade was right he is a drama queen.

Right time to end his career, on his terms. A brilliant one no doubt compared to other British tennis players. His legacy was completed when he won Wimbledon. Happy retirement.
He's still the only man to retain an Olympics singles ***le. I think that's impressive of in itself.

I'd forgotten how hard 2012 was on him he became the first British man in 76 years to reach a Wimbledon final. Lost, cried because he felt he let everyone down (honestly that was heartbreaking) and then weeksnlater was back in the same court winning Olympic gold.

Which in turn to his US Open and 1st Wimbleson ***le. With that calendar year.

Yeah despite his support for Scottish independence I can't help but like the guy especially his wit and the fact he wouldn't quit.

He's still the only man to retain an Olympics singles ***le. I think that's impressive of in itself.

I'd forgotten how hard 2012 was on him he became the first British man in 76 years to reach a Wimbledon final. Lost, cried because he felt he let everyone down (honestly that was heartbreaking) and then weeksnlater was back in the same court winning Olympic gold.

Yeah despite his support for Scottish independence I can't help but like the guy especially his wit and the fact he wouldn't quit.
Yeh, I am not his biggest fan (much preferred Federer and was at the London 2012 final where he comprehensively outplayed a Roger emotionally and physically fatigued by the semi v Del Po and crowd being fully behind Andy, with a point to prove after that final loss) , but appreciate what he did for British tennis. Although the grand slams are still the pinnacle of the sport.

But beating Novak in the Wimbledon final to win his first ( Roger couldn't do that in 3 finals but was in his 30s by then) and also in the US open final. Shame he lost all 5 finals at AO but was outplayed in all of them. And got to a French open final. Few have reached all 4 slam finals in their career.

The whole "anyone else but England" joke was totally blown out of proportion.

His will to win and compete in an era with 3 GOATs of tennis will stand out for me. Winning many masters 1000 and an end of year ATP finals (something Rafa never did). And reaching year end world number 1.

Last edited:
and then weeksnlater was back in the same court winning Olympic gold.

And against the same opponent (the mighty Federer) who beat him comfortably iin the Wimbledon final and so quite a few demons to overcome in a short space of time - same court and same opponent. I think that first Olympic gold medal was a massive turning point in his career and seemed to give him that belief he could kick on and win major ***les.

Three Grand Slams and two Olympic singles gold medals is pretty impressive especially in that era with the Fed, Nadal and Novak. If they weren't around he could have won so much more. The Davis Cup win was also special and he did become world no.1 for a while. Not forgetting of course all those late night comebacks especially at Wimbledon. He has won more matches from 2-0 sets down than any other player. All in all a phenomenal career.

Hope we see him as a tennis pundit in the future so we can see a bit of more of his humour and of course his extensive understanding of the game.

The whole "anyone else but England" joke was totally blown out of proportion.
Yeah that was, him coming out for Scottish Independence the day or or before the referendum was not.

Latest posts