• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

Yeah, Nadal was just too good. Toughest thing in tennis is to beat Nadal on Clay at the French. (He's lost once in nine years or something silly like that). No doubt the usual Murray-bashers will be trolling on the sports sites, but to be honest, nobody could have stayed with Nadal today.

Good luck to Novak in the final, and I really hope there's an umpire that will call Nadal on his time wasting when serving.

Yep, he's only lost 1 best of 5 set match on clay and that was to Robin Soderling in 2009 at Roland Garros. His record is 88-1 in best of 5 sets on clay; that is just obscene in any sport, let alone tennis. I thought Novak could finally beat him in the final after watching him beat Rafa in the Rome Masters a few weeks ago, but I now have my doubts.

Yep, Rafa remains King of Roland Garros. 9 ***les on the clay of Paris:eek:. Just incredible. Sooner or later he will overtake Roger's 17 slams.

Shame for Nole. The Philippe Chatrier court is like a football pitch and to try and get the ball past Rafa on this court is next to impossible, on top of trying to stifle Rafa's heavy top spin shots; no wonder Rafa's only ever lost once on this court. Glad Roger took his chance back in 2009, otherwise he would never have won Roland Garros to complete his career slam.

Yep, Rafa remains King of Roland Garros. 9 ***les on the clay of Paris:eek:. Just incredible. Sooner or later he will overtake Roger's 17 slams.

Shame for Nole. The Philippe Chatrier court is like a football pitch and to try and get the ball past Rafa on this court is next to impossible, on top of trying to stifle Rafa's heavy top spin shots; no wonder Rafa's only ever lost once on this court. Glad Roger took his chance back in 2009, otherwise he would never have won Roland Garros to complete his career slam.

King of clay he certainly is.This is even with him being less than one hundred percent physically fit.

Well done Kei Nishikori; the first Asian man to reach a Grand Slam final and to top it off he beat the World no. 1 Novak Djokovic to do it.

Well done Kei Nishikori; the first Asian man to reach a Grand Slam final and to top it off he beat the World no. 1 Novak Djokovic to do it.

Bloody hell...if he can do that he could win this darn thing even if he is to meet our "Roge" in the Final...............well done Kei!!!

Bloody hell...if he can do that he could win this darn thing even if he is to meet our "Roge" in the Final...............well done Kei!!!

Yep, he won't be afraid of meeting Roger, if Federer beats Cilic in the other semi, which is not an absolute given. Nishikori has beaten Federer twice already and they are tied two apiece in their career meetings. Of course, the difference in experience in a grand slam final would be huge; it would be Federer's 26th Grand Slam final, whilst it will be Nishikori's first.

Still, Cilic has something to say about it, but I have a gut feeling it could be Roger's year after coming back from 2 sets to love down, saving two match points in his quarter final with Monfils; Nadal not playing this tournament after injuring his wrist; and Novak beating Murray, but then losing surprisingly to Nishikori. Roger knows it's his best chance in two years to win yet another Grand Slam and put the gap between him and Nadal to 4 Slams.

Last edited:
Wow, Nishikori v Cilic in the final of the US Open. Cilic destroys Federer in straight sets. All credit to Marin, he never let Federer into the match and just kept his foot on Roger's neck throughout the match. Nice to see a brand new Grand Slam winner instead of the usual big 4. The last time Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray did not reach a Grand Slam final was the Australian Open 2005: Hewitt v Safin. That's how good Federer and co have been. Time for a new generation of players to take over.

I must say I was very surprised by the result after Novak supreme performance ( almost virtuoso) against andy Murray . He didn't look himself .

I must say I was very surprised by the result after Novak supreme performance ( almost virtuoso) against andy Murray . He didn't look himself .

That's because Kei played phenomenally well. Novak played far too passive and let Kei dictate play and the conditions were so hot and humid. Still, the conditions were the same for both and Kei had been through two long 5 setters v Raonic and Wawrinka in the previous 2 rounds, so on paper he was less fresh than Novak. I think in the end you just have to give credit to Kei and Marin for going out there and beating multiple Grand Slam champions in Novak and Roger.

That's because Kei played phenomenally well. Novak played far too passive and let Kei dictate play and the conditions were so hot and humid. Still, the conditions were the same for both and Kei had been through two long 5 setters v Raonic and Wawrinka in the previous 2 rounds, so on paper he was less fresh than Novak. I think in the end you just have to give credit to Kei and Marin for going out there and beating multiple Grand Slam champions in Novak and Roger.

Be interesting to see if the loss of both Novak and our "Roge" has any effect on the number of the fickle NY audience......good to see there is a change in order perhaps!

Be interesting to see if the loss of both Novak and our "Roge" has any effect on the number of the fickle NY audience......good to see there is a change in order perhaps!

I think the NY Crowd only care if an American player is in the final. They adopted Roger as a substitute when it was clear no American man was going to make the final, so I think they will be quite neutral for the final.

What a player Nole is. Great match v Nishikori to win in the 3rd set tie break. Wonder if that will take it out of him as Murray had a pretty easy semi.

Great US Open final between Wawrinka and Djokovic atm.

Last edited:
What an epic match. 5 hours and 7 minutes. Well done Del Po. Great to see you back playing so well. 1-0 to the Argentina. Still one more match go tonight. Can GB level it?

First day and 2-0 for Argentina. Pretty close of the win this series and reach The Davis Cup final.

Argentina deserved 2-0 leaders after 1st day. Edmund was a bit disappointing especially after his 4th round showing at US Open. I can't see how Murray or Del Po can recover to play in the Doubles tomorrow, so either Argentina finish the tie tomorrow or GB can win tomorrow in the Doubles and at least take it to the third day. But Argentina must be favourites to win the tie.

Still is a close series, GB are the favourites for the double match tomorrow, and Murray must win his match vs Pella on Sunday. So the 5° point, Delpo - Edmund decides this series.

Yep, so if it goes to a 5th rubber Del Po would be a favourite to Finish GB off. That 1st rubber win was key against Murray as it took the wind out of GB's sails.

I wonder though if Dan Evans will get the nod after his performance in almost beat Stan Wawrinka at the US Open, before Stan beat Del Po. He may be the better form 2nd singles player than Kyle Edmund ATM.

(Update) - Murray brothers v Del Po and Mayer in the doubles. GB probably don't have a choice being 2-0 down and losing today finishes the tie, but surprised Argentina aren't saving Del Po for day 3 and give the big guy a rest.

Last edited:

Latest posts