• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

McEnroe is a nasty bit of work. Will never forget when I watched him play an exhibition at the a Royal Albert Hall in the early noughties. A lines lady called a ball of his which was clearly out. He ended up winning the game anyway, but because he did not like her call (even though it was the correct call) he went right up to her and started shouting in her face "you're ****, you're ****" after every subsequent point he was at her end of the court just to initimidate her to giving him favourable calls. For all his talent he was a Class A arsehole on the tennis court.

Rafa going for La Decima today. Absolutely insane winning 10 at one major. To put it in context in recent times: Federer and Sampras - 7 at Wimbledon; Borg - 6 at RG.

I see Mcinroe is coming under pressure for saying that Serena wouldn't be in the men's top 700, whilst I think the number would be a lot lower, I agree that she wouldn't be anywhere near the top 20 men players.

She is the GOAT female player but not the GOAT player simple as that but some people have really strong views about her.

McEnroe is such a stirrer. Probably wanting a Battle of the Sexes match with Serena once she has had her baby.

McEnroe is such a stirrer. Probably wanting a Battle of the Sexes match with Serena once she has had her baby.

He is a stirrer BUT he was asked.

On calling Serena Williams the best female tennis player in the world

Garcia-Navarro: We're talking about male players but there is of course wonderful female players. Let's talk about Serena Williams. You say she is the best female player in the world in the book.

McEnroe: Best female player ever — no question.

Garcia-Navarro: Some wouldn't qualify it, some would say she's the best player in the world. Why qualify it?

McEnroe: Oh! Uh, she's not, you mean, the best player in the world, period?

Garcia-Navarro: Yeah, the best tennis player in the world. You know, why say female player?

McEnroe: Well because if she was in, if she played the men's circuit she'd be like 700 in the world.

Garcia-Navarro: You think so?

McEnroe: Yeah. That doesn't mean I don't think Serena is an incredible player. I do, but the reality of what would happen would be I think something that perhaps it'd be a little higher, perhaps it'd be a little lower. And on a given day, Serena could beat some players. I believe because she's so incredibly strong mentally that she could overcome some situations where players would choke 'cause she's been in it so many times, so many situations at Wimbledon, The U.S. Open, etc. But if she had to just play the circuit — the men's circuit — that would be an entirely different story.

He is telling the truth the interviewer was the one who said
Garcia-Navarro: Some wouldn't qualify it, some would say she's the best player in the world. Why qualify it?
Which she isn't, the most accomplished tennis player yes, but she would get thrashed by any of the top 10 men most likely lose to anyone in the top 100. anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

She is the GOAT Female tennis player nothing wrong in saying that but she is the GOAT tennis player.

I mean Serena says keep her out of his statements but he was asked a direct question by an interviewer not like he just said it for no reason, it's typical Social media and press over reaction and giving zero context.

It's annoying how people think what he says is sexist. Like WTF is it sexist for me to say that the fastest women wouldn't beat the top 5000 100m mens times?

Oh well back to Wimbledon then; at least there won't be any draws.:rolleyes:

First great match of the championships. And out goes Rafa.

Serving for the match...

Match Point

And there's your slice of history (what WAS going through Halep's mind there)

Some woman screamed out during the rally and put her off, but still got to keep playing. Fantastic from Jo. First semi for her. Next up Venus Williams.

Some woman screamed out during the rally and put her off, but still got to keep playing. Fantastic from Jo. First semi for her. Next up Venus Williams.
Yeah - long enough before Halep's shot that it shouldn't have made a difference though - the shout out was before Jo hit her ball, let alone Simona hitting hers.

Yeah - long enough before Halep's shot that it shouldn't have made a difference though - the shout out was before Jo hit her ball, let alone Simona hitting hers.

Yep, watched the highlights and the scream should have put Jo off, not Halep. Halelp just stopped playing, like she assumed that the point would be replayed. Ah well, her bad.

Men's QFs today. Should be good.

USA USA USA

Yep well done to Querrey - simply superb in the 4th and 5th sets. Murray hampered by the hip injury, but really should have taken that 2nd set.

Hope Jo can make up for it tomorrow v Venus.

So Cilic is through to the final. To play Roger or Berdych.

Latest posts