• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

2-1 and game on. Murray should beat Pella in the 4th rubber to take it to a decider. Then Edmund or Evans, whoever is chosen to try and beat Del PO in the 5th rubber.

Murray just one win away from world no.1 if he beats Raonic today. If nothing else, glad he's knocking off Djokovic off the perch and Federer's 302 weeks at no.1 record is safe for now.

Edit............

No.1 without even striking a ball. Well done Murray, not a huge fan, but still credit, where credit is due. To be no.1 in the world in any sport is no mean feat.

Last edited:
Well done Argentina; great come back to win your first Davis Cup. Del Potro coming back from 2 sets down to beat Cilic was the key to the tie and of course Del Bonis closing it out. But Superb comeback from Del Po after so many wrist surgeries.

Amazing comeback from Delpo, amazing job from Del Bonis and all the team. What a year Juan Martin!! In february you almost leave the proffesional tennis, now you are Davis Cup Champion!!

So happy for Federer - 18 slams and against Rafa. GOAT!!!!

Yeh really hope he can get into the Wimbledon final some how.

Murray is a great tennis player but he isn't a patch on Federer and Nadal.

My recording gave up at 3:3 I'm the 5th, fortunately I was watching early enough to catch the rest of it on the Been.
ROG has most definitely rekindled my man-crush.

Unrivalled as Tennis GOAT and up there with Bradman for Sporting GOAT

Rewatching on BBC highlights; I still don't know how Roger managed to come back in that fifth set after getting down an early break. He'd never done that before v Rafa. I think I've watched every one of their matches bar 2 (their first meeting and the last one in Basel final). Rafa has caused Roger so much pain in finals; especially Grand Slam finals: Wimbledon 2008 and AO 2009 were the worst. So, this is by far the sweetest victory Roger has had over Rafa, not just the way he did it, but also to go 1 further clear in the Grand Slam tally. Rafa fans would never have let Federer's fans hear the end of it had Rafa won today and been only 2 behind.Truly great from Roger. I thought Rafa looked a bit shell shocked at the presentation that he'd let that one out off his control.

But having said that Roger and Rafa really do transcend sport IMO, even for peeps who don't like tennis will tune in and watch these two. Novak is up there with these two, but just isn't as popular, but he has something neither have and will probably never have and that is holding all four slams at the same time (as close to a calendar year Gramd Slam there will be in the modern game). He also has a winning record over both and beaten them both at all four of the slams.

Murray is like marmite IMO - people either love him or hate him, but he's had to live in the shadow of Roger, Rafa and Novak, but still managed to carve his little niche in their era.

Last edited:
Thing is regarding Murray (and I'm huge fan) he's just been very unlucky to be around same time as Federer Nadal and Djockovic who are all really at top end of greatest ever.
Federer is just unbelievable and agreed GOAT

One thing I hate is the British media is so OTT when it comes to Murray. I know he is British or Scottish when he loses (ha ha) but still it's like they try and put him on par with Federer, Nadal and Novak, when he clearly is not.

LMAO. Canadian player gets disqualified for smacking the ball right into the Umpire's eye in GB v Canada DC tie.

Yep very funny. The poor lad's only 17, so now he's got to do something with his career otherwise he will be remembered only for this incident.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/3ohzdRo0QAtAMUZY88" width="357.2093023255814" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/miamiopen-3ohzdRo0QAtAMUZY88">via GIPHY</a></p>

I think Roger's a bit pleased with how his year is going so far.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/3ohzdRo0QAtAMUZY88" width="357.2093023255814" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/miamiopen-3ohzdRo0QAtAMUZY88">via GIPHY</a></p>

I think Roger's a bit pleased with how his year is going so far.

Beating Rafa yet again!!

i like Andy Murray, he's a British phenomenon. It was truly frustrating to watch Tim Henman make the semi's year after year and go no further.
To see a Brit actually win grand slams, and Wimbledon especially, it was a wonderful sporting experience.
Murray can cut it with the top players, he's done it before but he really REALLY needs to be on his top game for the duration of the match. He has to have his self belief at the highest point of his strongest emotional position, because it's in the top two inches where Murray falls away and the fall can be like an avalanche.
The other three have near unbreakable mental sets, especially Federer, he is incredibly composed even in defeat.
Federer is my second favourite player of all time. He's a joy to watch.
My favourite is still macenroe. Such a tear away. Relied on flair and talent to get him through against much bigger opponents.

Latest posts