• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
The Australian Open is on, top seeds won their matches easily. Will Djokovic repeat the ***le, it´s time now for Andy Murray, or the old and good Federer has something more to give still? Personally I hope Delpo can make a great tournament and why not reach the first Big One of the season.

Ah great a tennis thread. 2013 for me has been Rafa's year: 2 Slams; 5 masters; 3 other ***les. Sure to be year end no.1.

Special mention to Andy Murray for ending 77 years of British hurt at Wimbledon.

Djokovic has been rock solid this year; still a good year after winning a slam and guaranteed to finish at least no. 2.

Federer- I'm a big fan, just has not performed this year. His confidence is low and now he has to figure a way to turn it around. I still think he has 3 years left before he decides to hang up his raquet.

The Australian Open is on, top seeds won their matches easily. Will Djokovic repeat the ***le, it´s time now for Andy Murray, or the old and good Federer has something more to give still? Personally I hope Delpo can make a great tournament and why not reach the first Big One of the season.

I hope Del Potro can win one of the last two big ***les of the year: Paris or the ATP World Tour Final. Great win against Rafa in Shanghai and took Djokovic to the limit in the final. Can't believe he has yet to win a Masters 1000 yet. He should do soon.

Well the final 8 have now been finalised for the ATP World tour finals:

1. Rafa Nadal
2. Novak Djokovic
3. David Ferrer
4. Del Potro
5. Berdych
6. Federer
7. Wawrinka
8. Gasquet

Murray withdrew as he hasn't trained since his back surgery.

Anyone got tickets for next week?

Men's tennis too predictable in terms of results and therefore boring.At least with the women apart from Serena.The top 8 players can beat each other on Any given day.we can even add sloane Stephens in there though she is not in the top 8.I m looking forward to seeing more of Laura Robson !

Men's tennis too predictable in terms of results and therefore boring.At least with the women apart from Serena.The top 8 players can beat each other on Any given day.we can even add sloane Stephens in there though she is not in the top 8.I m looking forward to seeing more of Laura Robson !

You got a point that the men's has become too predictable in terms of results; but that applies more so to the women's game then the men's. Serena is completely dominating the women's game and for the foreseeable future. Also the women's game is pretty one dimensional in terms of skill level; all the women play the same ball bashing style game with a double handed backhand. Sloane Stephens and Laura Robson are no different. Laura has along way to go still, especially as her second serve is so inconsistent; she gifts games of double faults to her opponents.

I much prefer the men's game, thankfully there are still a number of one handed backhands in the game and the men do vary their game with slices and coming to the net to finish points. It's a shame Federer is looking a pale shadow of his former self; in the 25 years I've watched tennis I have not seen a better player. The men's game is also a lot kinder on the ears compared to the shrieking grunt fest which has become the norm in the women's game.

To much for Delpo, Nole this time... a thrilling match is coming between Roger and Juan Martin looking for his place in the semis.

To much for Delpo, Nole this time... a thrilling match is coming between Roger and Juan Martin looking for his place in the semis.

Nole is a beast. I was at the final between him and Roger at the O2, last year; the guy is seriously made of elastic and can slide on a hard court.

I think Nole is favourite for the tournament; but I have a strange feeling about Rafa, even though he is relatively rubbish playing indoors compared to his majestic best on the red clay.

Yep, agree, Federer v Del Potro should be epic and thrilling; winner takes all to go through to the semis. I saw them last year in the group stage and knew Del PO would win. They have played each other twice here at the O2 and Del Po has won on both occasions in 3 sets. I think the surface, being quite slow, suits Del Po more; for me, whoever wins the 1st set, will go on and win the match.

Unfortunately I think the match is on at the same time as England v Argentina.:0(. Cue watch one on TV and have the other on the ipad.:0)

Last edited:
Just got back fro The O2 Arena after watching Djokovic beat Rafa. Wasn't the epic I was hoping for, but still saw some quality tennis. Well done to Novak for another World ***le win; got revenge on Rafa for me for beating Roger.

Rafa, though well beaten, is a classy guy in defeat as in victory, I might not like him constantly giving Roger beat downs, but as a person I cannot fault him.

Just got back fro The O2 Arena after watching Djokovic beat Rafa. Wasn't the epic I was hoping for, but still saw some quality tennis. Well done to Novak for another World ***le win; got revenge on Rafa for me for beating Roger.

Rafa, though well beaten, is a classy guy in defeat as in victory, I might not like him constantly giving Roger beat downs, but as a person I cannot fault him.

Novak played sublime tennis.Even Murray who I regard as the second best player in the world would have been blown off the court.Rafa holds the no 1 ranking but he is behind both Novak and Murray at the moment.

Novak played sublime tennis.Even Murray who I regard as the second best player in the world would have been blown off the court.Rafa holds the no 1 ranking but he is behind both Novak and Murray at the moment.

Eh? Rafa is deservedly world no. 1 this year: 2 Grand Slams, 5 Masters 1000s, 3 other ***les; total of 10 ***les. More ***les, especially in terms of slams, than either Novak and Murray. Rafa also beat Novak in the US Open final. In their head to head this year it's 3-3. Considering he has come back after 7 months from a serious knee injury, this has to rank as one of the greatest comebacks in all sports.

Murray finished the year world no. 4 and although he deservedly won Wimbledon, did not face Nadal this year and who he has a bad head to head record against. So can't see how you can say Rafa is behind both Novak and Murray at the moment.

Rafa will play v David Nalbandian in his goodbye match in Cordoba, Arg. Then Novak and Rafa will play an exhibition match in Buenos Aires, and the Williams sisters will play too in Bs. As. Excelent tennis in Argentina in the next days.

Yes, I read David Nalbandian retired this year due to an ongoing shoulder injury. He must be one of the best players never to win a slam; he was probably closest to winning the 2003 US open, as he held a match point v Andy Roddick in their semi, and I think had he won that match he old have beaten an exhausted Ferrero in the final. I know he got to the 2002 Wimbledon final, but he was well beaten by Hewitt. I think the highlight of his career was his 5 set win over Federer in the ATP Masters Cup, played on his best surface and conditions: indoor hard court.

However, I don't think he had the serve, movement, fitness or temperament to challenge Federer, Nadal and Djokovic on a consistent basis, which is why he never reached another slam final after 2002 and never got to no.1; but still a very talented player.

These end of year exhibitions really line the players' pockets though. I read Federer made US $12m from his South American exhibitions he played in December last year. I suspect that this had a lot to do with his unsuccessful 2013; as he did not do his usual December training block. Hopefully he does not play any meaningless exhibitions this year and does the requisite training block to prepare him properly for 2014.

David was probably the more talented argentine player of all times, more even than Vilas, Gaudio or Coria in my apreciation, but his caracter and dispersed personality (rally car races, party, good eater, womens, etc) make him lost his best years. He could have been Number one if he did focus on that goal.

Yes, I read David Nalbandian retired this year due to an ongoing shoulder injury. He must be one of the best players never to win a slam; he was probably closest to winning the 2003 US open, as he held a match point v Andy Roddick in their semi, and I think had he won that match he old have beaten an exhausted Ferrero in the final. I know he got to the 2002 Wimbledon final, but he was well beaten by Hewitt. I think the highlight of his career was his 5 set win over Federer in the ATP Masters Cup, played on his best surface and conditions: indoor hard court.

However, I don't think he had the serve, movement, fitness or temperament to challenge Federer, Nadal and Djokovic on a consistent basis, which is why he never reached another slam final after 2002 and never got to no.1; but still a very talented player.

These end of year exhibitions really line the players' pockets though. I read Federer made US $12m from his South American exhibitions he played in December last year. I suspect that this had a lot to do with his unsuccessful 2013; as he did not do his usual December training block. Hopefully he does not play any meaningless exhibitions this year and does the requisite training block to prepare him properly for 2014.

Lol! I did not know players made so much money in exhibitions. I enjoyed reading the reason why Federer had an unsuccessful 2013.

Another classic match between Rafa and Novak in the Rome masters final. Novak seems to be the only player to have Rafa's measure. Looking forward of a repeat of this match in three weeks time in Paris for the biggest prize on clay: the French Open.

Last edited:
Ouch, Rafa really did take Murray apart today in their French Open semi.

Now onto the main event of the final between Rafa and Novak. I hope Novak wins, but he seemed to lose a lot of energy for some reason in the 3rd set and struggled to close out the 4th set. Looked like the heat got to him, when it was only 28 degrees. Wetter conditions predicted for Sunday, which could cool things down and maybe take the zip out of Rafa's forehand. Hopefully it's an epic, but one Nole wins.

Yeah, Nadal was just too good. Toughest thing in tennis is to beat Nadal on Clay at the French. (He's lost once in nine years or something silly like that). No doubt the usual Murray-bashers will be trolling on the sports sites, but to be honest, nobody could have stayed with Nadal today.

Good luck to Novak in the final, and I really hope there's an umpire that will call Nadal on his time wasting when serving.

Latest posts