• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Test Team

Agreed with Mite's team, except the locks.

4. AWJ
5. POC.
6. Croft

Sounds better to me, at least. Wyn-Jones has been very good for like, forever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Jun 7 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whoever is suggesting Euan Murray should play ahead of Phil Vickery needs shooting. Watch a re-run of the Golden Lions game and see how often Vickery went in low and hard at ruck-time. The absence of someone doing that against the Cheetahs is what almost lost us the game. Murray is a powerful scrummager, but that's it. Vickery gives you more. I do not think this is necessarily English bias as the same is true of Sheridan and Jenkins - only in that instance it is the Welshman who gives you more.

Williams confirmed my suspicions that he's lost the yard of pace that made his size irrelevant. I called it during the 6N but it has sadly been proven on this tour. He was on the end of a very inexperienced line-up of backs, though. This is a Lions tour, not the place for boys.

I've been unconvinced by O'Connell, too. Were he not captain then he would certainly not be an automatic selection for the test XV.[/b]

To be fair to Shane, he had no space whatsoever to work in, same goes for Halfpenny. I don't rememeber seeing either of them getting any ball in space, which is where both, and pretty much every other winger out there, are the most dangerous. This had a lot to do with the centre partnership not working that well, Ellis's dodgy passinng (which was actually a lot better than in the past), and the fact that the breakdown was a mess of slow ball and turnovers. I'd like to see Shane and Halfpenny in the same team as the Roberts - BOD partnership, because they will both perform much better with someone like Roberts crashing down the middle who also has great handling in thw offload, and the sheer brilliance of BOD puttng them in space. A fair few are seeing Monye has the test no.11 because he ran in 2 tries against the Lions (something any of other wingers could do too), but imo, I think someone like Halfpenny, Williams, Kearney or Fitzgerald (who ahsn;t even had a chance on the wing yet!) would be a much better choice there.

I understand what you are sayign Thingimubob, but if Shane were just a bit anonymous in that match like Halfpenny, fine. But he wasn't, he gave the intercept and he's generally jst trying to do too much. I agree with everything that Count said, I too think Shane has lost a bit of pace, maybe he's bulked up a bit too much or maybe he's just past it? Vickery at the moment should be the tighthead (shock horror!) and Jenkins the loose with Mears between them. Merray and Sheridan were poor and didn't feature ruck time.

I also agree that O'Connel wouldn't be automatic selection if he wasn't captain, Alun-Wyn, Hines and croft have arguably performed better.

I personally think Shane is past it. Sure, he has little space to work in. Big deal. That being the case, he should be passing the bloody ball instead of trying that inside step that works one in every 15 times...

Halfpenny offers more, currently. He may not be a length-of-the-field match winner but he has a sound all-round game who would be more valuable to the Lions. Both he and Fitzgerald are better than Monye. We just need to see them both start on the wings together.

I don't think Shane will make the test team but I still think that people are being ridiculous. He's still a top, top player. If he played in one of the Tri Nations teams he'd probably get twice the ball he got from the midfield yesterday.

When he got the ball yesterday, which was rarely, he at least tried to do something and almost always went for the sensible option. Contrast this with Monye who seemed a little hot-headed at times.

Don't write him off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 7 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Jenkins
2. Mears (Sad, innit...)
3. Murray
4. POC
5. Croft
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Philips
10. Jones
11. Monye
12. Roberts
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Byrne[/b]

My team EXACTLY. Love the idea of Croft at 5. He is sharper than DOC, and is just as useful in the lineouts. His pace is also a huge benefit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Jun 7 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whoever is suggesting Euan Murray should play ahead of Phil Vickery needs shooting.[/b]

Careful sir, i'm not a pheasant.

Vickery has been better than Murray in what little they've played so far yes, but I stand by what I said: Murray is a better player and i'm backing him to prove it.

Don't forget that Vickery played against the Golden Lions... I'm sure even Sheridan would have looked like a good scrummager against them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 7 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think Shane will make the test team but I still think that people are being ridiculous. If he played in one of the Tri Nations teams he'd probably get twice the ball he got from the midfield yesterday.[/b]
The thing is, and its a question of form, he wouldnt get into a tri-nations team, he wouldnt get into many of the home nations teams either. On form he's lethal, off form he's a bit of a liability. He's trying his socks off but it just isnt coming together for him.

Still, a damn good impact sub to have ................... but I doubt we'll see a winger sit on the bench either when there are other more flexible backs available.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 8 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 7 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think Shane will make the test team but I still think that people are being ridiculous. If he played in one of the Tri Nations teams he'd probably get twice the ball he got from the midfield yesterday.[/b]
The thing is, and its a question of form, he wouldnt get into a tri-nations team, he wouldnt get into many of the home nations teams either. On form he's lethal, off form he's a bit of a liability. He's trying his socks off but it just isnt coming together for him.

Still, a damn good impact sub to have ................... but I doubt we'll see a winger sit on the bench either when there are other more flexible backs available.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry but I disagree.

On his day (I'll admit ONLY on his day) he's probably the best winger in the NH. I think he'd definitely get in the Tri Nations teams.

I think that he's been poor but if experience tells us anything he could spring into life with the try of the tour in a test match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 8 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 8 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Sorry but I disagree.

On his day (I'll admit ONLY on his day) he's probably the best winger in the NH. I think he'd definitely get in the Tri Nations teams.

I think that he's been poor but if experience tells us anything he could spring into life with the try of the tour in a test match.
[/b][/quote]

After he plays cack for everyother minute of the match. Hopefully he'll take a nice break and come back on great form next year but he just hasn't done anything to deserve a place in the test 22 yet.

I hope he proves me wrong Wednesday. I don't think he will.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jun 8 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 8 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 8 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Sorry but I disagree.

[/b][/quote]

After he plays cack for everyother minute of the match. Hopefully he'll take a nice break and come back on great form next year but he just hasn't done anything to deserve a place in the test 22 yet.

I hope he proves me wrong Wednesday. I don't think he will.
[/b][/quote]

One would hope that test shirts are given on form shown on tour. As it stands Shane is way below par at the moment but it would be great to see him bounce back starting with the Sharks on Weds.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 8 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Sorry but I disagree.

[/b][/quote]

his day has been and gone though, unfortunately for the Lions yet the management keep persisting with him, you don't want any players going into the test series undercooked and this is his 3rd start, it's daft.

Now that we've been treated to three games and watched all there is to offer from the Lions I see not much option other than

1: Andrew Sheridan
2: Lee Mears
3: Phil Vickery
4: Paul O’Connell
5: Donncha O'Callaghan
6: Tom Croft
7: David Wallace
8: Jamie Heaslip
9: Tomas O'Leary
10: Ronan O'Gara
11: Ugo Monye
12: Riki Flutey
13: Brian O'Driscoll
14: Luke Fitzgerald
15: Rob Kearney

I see what you did there.

Tindall is missing at 13 though. BOD? You must be joking...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kato @ Jun 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now that we've been treated to three games and watched all there is to offer from the Lions I see not much option other than

1: Andrew Sheridan
2: Lee Mears
3: Phil Vickery
4: Paul O’Connell
5: Donncha O'Callaghan
6: Tom Croft
7: David Wallace
8: Jamie Heaslip
9: Tomas O'Leary
10: Ronan O'Gara
11: Ugo Monye
12: Riki Flutey
13: Brian O'Driscoll
14: Luke Fitzgerald
15: Rob Kearney[/b]

Come on there champ, you can do better than that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kato @ Jun 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1: Andrew Sheridan <-- Can't scrummage, won't scrummage. Not as good in the loose as Jenkins.
2: Lee Mears <-- Best of a shocking group of players actually.
3: Phil Vickery <-- Actually has proved adequate, so I'll give you that.
4: Paul O'Connell <-- If he wasn't Captain he might not have started but....
5: Donncha O'Callaghan <-- Has he even played in the last few games? can't say I noticed... Alun Wyn Jones is far ahead of him.
6: Tom Croft <-- Close between him and Ferris.
7: David Wallace <-- Again close between him and Williams.
8: Jamie Heaslip <-- Best choice so far.
9: Tomas O'Leary <-- Hmmm, go check the squad, then check the G.Lions game and Phillips.
10: Ronan O'Gara <-- Choker, can't tackle. Again go watch the G.Lions game and Jones.
11: Ugo Monye <-- Tough call here, we'll see soon.
12: Riki Flutey <-- This is where my head exploded. He shouldn't even be on this tour, he played for around 10 minutes and even f***ed that up. While Roberts has been the best player in BOTH of the games he's played.
13: Brian O'Driscoll <-- Yes, definately.
14: Luke Fitzgerald <-- Bowe has played far better.
15: Rob Kearney <-- Byrne by quite some distance at this stage.[/b]
Ok, i'll bite... If you're joking then f***ing funny....

Of course he's joking. He's a part of the 606-leak that's contaminates the board from time to time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Jun 9 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
12: Riki Flutey <-- This is where my head exploded. He shouldn't even be on this tour, he played for around 10 minutes and even f***ed that up. While Roberts has been the best player in BOTH of the games he's played.[/b]
I agree that Roberts should be 12 in the test, but i don't get why Flutey shouldn't even be on the tour? I think he's a great player/centre, i wouldn't say he f'ed up his ten minutes of game, i mean yeah, he knocked on, big mistake, but he made more ground that alot of players and didn't play badly.
Hopefully he'll get a fair bit of pitch time tomorrow and shows us what he can do

Sad thing is though that he has O'Leary at 9, which is where should be. Competition for Scrumhalf and Hooker has been very poor if your ask me, Scrumhalf is a one horse race where as none of the Hookers are really up to it. Flannery and O'Leary are being sorely missed, as you say is Shanklin, as 13 is another one horse race.

Anybody here read the piece about what Keith Earls went through to stay on tour and recover inside a week?

Latest posts