• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Welsh Regions Joining the Premiership?

...which is what I said!
My point is they wanted it (and still do) to benefit all not playing Super Rugby. The Super Rugby will be separate altogether and it is known some talks have taken place with the stumbling blocks being when in Calendar year and format

lol, where will they go?

Form their own 8 team league think it makes sense to them and for Scotland or even Wales. Fact is the Rbo is not sustainable. The Unions in Italy and Scotland have got to come to the conclusion at some point that they just cannot afford the wages anymore as have the Irish who despite claiming their system is so great and sustainable must realize the IRFU are making a loss and they only exist because the Welsh, Scots and Italians are willing to prop up their nursery pool league.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of everything but the actual cause of the problem being blamed. The average Welsh rugby "fan" is actually a pretty $h|t supporter of the game. As backed up by attendances for both the regions and the principality premiership.

Best evidence for that is the clubs' blazers, who get spoilt and then complain that Sam Warburton didn't visit their clubhouse more than twice a year or something. The Western Mail also are a bad indictment on the average Welsh with their obsession that a fly halves quality is purely judged on making breaks.

Not sure if it's been posted yet but now the Italians are threatening to pull out of the Rabo as well.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9115961,00.html

That's been talked about for months, and I totally agree with the FIR on this. Having to pay a large sum of 3 million (roughly the same as Zebre's budget) to play Rabo is ridiculous and shows exactly why the Celtic nations have been worst throughout rugby history at growing the game. Wouldn't it be better to have that money kept on getting stronger Italian teams who could contribute more to European rugby? Why should a union that is smaller and younger than the rest pay the richer ones to play in an unpopular league? Could you imagine Tonga handing over a load of money to countries like Wales, England and New Zealand to play in the RWC?

That's been talked about for months, and I totally agree with the FIR on this. Having to pay a large sum of 3 million (roughly the same as Zebre's budget) to play Rabo is ridiculous and shows exactly why the Celtic nations have been worst throughout rugby history at growing the game. Wouldn't it be better to have that money kept on getting stronger Italian teams who could contribute more to European rugby? Why should a union that is smaller and younger than the rest pay the richer ones to play in a league? Could you imagine Tonga handing over a load of money to countries like Wales, England and New Zealand to play in the RWC?

I do not disagree with one word of that. (edited a bit of course ;))

Was most displeased to learn the IRFU/SRU/WRU were acting like assholes toward the FIR.

I think it was a load of rubbish being talked at the time. SA wanted to get a better deal out of Sanzar. It was Currie Cup teams but as far as I know, SA were threatening to pull out of Super Rugby and dissolving their franchises if they didn't get an improved deal. They do it every time Super Rugby rights are up for discussion.

Its called "brinkmanship" and they are the masters at it

THREATEN!
THREATEN!
THREATEN!
THREATEN!
FOLD!!

Italy considering leaving the Pro12. Their fans should embrace the rugby and respect it.

or something.

Italy are considering leaving the Pro 12 because they're currently being charged EUR3m for the privilege. Their stance is basically "Stop making us pay that (much)" or we'll go away. Which is a really easily overcome problem that probably will be. This is negotiating for better financial terms and almost certainly nothing more.

Its called "brinkmanship" and they are the masters at it

THREATEN!
THREATEN!
THREATEN!
THREATEN!
FOLD!!

Maybe you can clarify some points Cooky with your knowledge of events in Sanzars timeline.

When SA threatened in the past, were their demands successful, or was their bluff called?

IMO the idea that any SA body is looking to join up with a European league would be the start of the demise of the Sansar group as it stands. Money is the major player in all that is going on, and whether people like it or not, Franglais is where the money is.

Finding ways to continue as is and also tap into the vast amounts that the two big Unions can generate, is something the IRB should be looking at rather than issueing veiled threats to wantaway regions for trying to establish viable businesses.

Regards central contracts:
If regions crossed to AP and WRU start new regions can they make central contract guys go to new regions as they're employers are WRU?

Yep I believe they can place them where they like

Well if that case I presume AW Jones and few other of top national guys are on national contracts so won't that weaken regions even further and make it a stupid decision. I know PRL are giving them time to blend in and only 1 welsh team can be relegated per season but still the rebuilding could take years as they won't have any senior guys

Well if that case I presume AW Jones and few other of top national guys are on national contracts so won't that weaken regions even further and make it a stupid decision. I know PRL are giving them time to blend in and only 1 welsh team can be relegated per season but still the rebuilding could take years as they won't have any senior guys

To be honest the WRU could rip the arsehole out of the whole idea fairly quickly by saying anyone who plays for the "rebel" regions can't play for wales . I have no doubt playing for wales is more important to the welsh layers than anything in rugby

To be honest the WRU could rip the arsehole out of the whole idea fairly quickly by saying anyone who plays for the "rebel" regions can't play for wales . I have no doubt playing for wales is more important to the welsh layers than anything in rugby

Well I agree with that but still it's effectively 4 new teams just added to PRL which in my opinion is like adding the Italian teams to Pro 12 only this time they can be relegated. With international guys they'd struggle at Sarries Leicester Saints and all these places. If the want an idea what will happen so just get them the Saracen vs Connacht game and show them their faith

Well I agree with that but still it's effectively 4 new teams just added to PRL which in my opinion is like adding the Italian teams to Pro 12 only this time they can be relegated. With international guys they'd struggle at Sarries Leicester Saints and all these places. If the want an idea what will happen so just get them the Saracen vs Connacht game and show them their faith

I'm really sorry I just realised when I said arsehole it didn't get blanked out . If I offended anyone I just want to say bloody grow up :p haha

But yeh I can see what you mean . Are Connacht doing better than NGD in the rabo ?

Latest posts