• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Theft and general buggery

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 21 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would eat poo for the next 2 years if i was offered the same amount of money as Franc Steyn. Point is, the clubs over there are so loaded, that they are the ones in control. It's distressing to see rugby turn into the EPL. In South Africa, club rugby is about representation. Over there, it's about money. How many Tigers players are ACTUALLY from Leicester? That's the point we are trying to make.

It sucks to see our home boys go away because the clubs over there are holding hooks with oodles of cash tied to them. Rugby is one of the biggest representative sports on the planet. We just wanna see it stay that way here. Unfortunately for us, we are a pretty poor country (especially with the government spending R 76 000 000 on an inauguration...). We can't compete with the kind of offers you guys are dishing out.[/b]

Exactly. Which is why I see Teh Mite's stance on supporting club over country ridiculous. Who gives a **** about a club if half the players representing you are from god knows where. It's bullshit.

Although, I can genuinely confirm that this is not the case in the SH (lets assume at least 90% of the time anyway), most clubs contain players who only come up through the provincial ranks. That's what club rugby should be about.

But if it's all about representation and loyalty, why will they up and leave just for money? I'm not suggesting that it's good for rugby, I'm saying that you can't bash the quality of English rugby and say that it's purely the money that players will leave. The reason this didn't happen 5 years ago isn't purely down to money... English clubs have had more money than South African ones since we went professional.

And why is 'your way' necessarily the right way? Sure, it's a nice story that players come up through the ranks, and obviously keeping them in their country of birth has obvious benefits for the national team, but as a global game, and from an entertainment point of view, why wouldn't fans want to support a club which has a mix of international stars and plays exciting rugby? What is wrong with supporting your local club by geography, regardless of where the players come from?

Of course it's never nice to see your players go... but that applies whether it's to a different club in the same country or a different hemisphere. Don't use this as a launchpad for an assault on NH rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ May 20 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote(Teh Mite)

1987 - Past
1991 - Past
1995 - past
1999 - Past
2003 - Past
2007 - Nearest to now;

All Blacks: Out in 1/4s
Australia: Out in 1/4s
England: **** but still further ahead of Oussie and ABs
Boks: Win a mismatched group game against England, Squeek past a still **** England in final
France: No chuffing clue about selection, still beat All Blacks despite McAlistairs try from a forward pass.
Argentina: Finish 3rd with a squad entirely based in the NH.

(End Quote)

World cups never acurately depict the balance of national rugby power and if this isn't clear to you then you shouldn't blast your poorly thought-through points of view across the internet. Blaming the national sides woes on selection is getting old, just like your annoying, incessant rants about the "superiority" of the English club scene, why do you think so many SH posters feel they have to set people like you straight?[/b]

Tell that point to tommowins. I was doing as what's known' in many circles as "taking the ****".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Quote(Teh Mite)

In the mean time:
Northampton Wanderers 23 - 3 Western Force - 23/8/2008
Northampton Wanderers 24 - 6 NSW Waratahs - 2/10/06

Ah, the SHs finest, spanked by academy players and reserves... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(End Quote)

Again, you show all the intelligence of a four year old by basing the calibre of a team on pre and post season games against weakened opposition.
Anyway, this is not what I was originally alluding to. You can argue all you like about the superiority of your clubs but frankly, people down here don't care, this is because we know you're wrong and any one with an IQ above that of a grapefruit can see this.[/b]

Really? So you didn't noticed the WANDERERS are a reserves/academy team? Nor that most of that Tah' development team has gone onto the full squad or higher while the team who mullered them were so **** that they were relegated a few short months later?

Quote(Teh Mite)

Damn right, but I'm pretty sure the original point made was "the NH are all ******* blah blah chip-on-my-shoulder blah...".

I think that means I'm not the only stirrer... Maybe the original point and 'witty' responses should have been worded better! ;)

(End Quote)

The original point, as Jericho so easily surmised and eloquently expanded is that we hate you people stealing (and I will keep on calling it that) our players simply because you cannot produce equal talent at home and happen to have massive bank balances. As for the "chip" on my shoulder, maybe you should examine how you rant at people all the time from no position of authority or even with a proper basis to your arguments.[/b]
20081223114930chip_on_shoulder_203x152.jpg

Anyway, for all of you who hate all of those dastardly moustache-tweaking NH clubs, the chairmen of whom (in between "stealing" the amazing SH players that grow on trees) like to tie fair maidens to train tracks while wearing top hats, let me enlighten you to a few home truths;

- In the Northern Hemisphere we have what are known as PROFESSIONAL RUGBY CLUBS. These are similar to those organisations you yourselves may be members of and play as an amateur at weekends (although debatable, considering the opinions of some people on how the game is played). Self run and self funded, not a subsidised franchise parent owned by the union of that particular country.

- These 'clubs' compete in "leagues", a season long divisional ranking system in which every club will play against each other from a particular division home and away to determine a final position. Teams at the top of these divisions get promoted to the next flight for the next season (unless they are already in the Premiership, when they are crowned champions), benefiting from the financial rewards this brings and the teams at the bottom subsequently get relegated. This can, and has in the past, led to financial difficulties and the dispersion of said clubs. (see: Richmond RFC & London Irish)

- Clubs in the Premiership have to adhere to what is known as a "wage cap", a set figure of approx £3m which limits the total salary of all a clubs playing staff members, superstar internationals right through to 16 year old academy products. The Magners League and Top 14 have similar systems in place based on turnover meaning NO CLUB CAN SIMPLY BUY EVERY PLAYER IN THE WORLD nor monopolise the league structure. Unless the players were willing to move halfway around the world and only get paid £25,000 P/A for the privilege. Some of the clubs may be minted, but the league does not allow them to pay massive wages willy-nilly.

- Clubs in the NH competitions have to play competitive league matches at the same time as pointless international exhibitions against SH opposition who think they actually mean something. This means club resources are drained as the home unions line their coffers in the November Tests and larger playing squads of high quality players which wont be lost for 50% of the domestic season are required to maintain the needed standards to keep up a ***le challenge or stave off a relegation dogfight. Due to the need for larger squads, combined with the wage cap, drives average salaries down.

- Clubs in the Northern Hemisphere all have huge development academies and are producing players year after year. However, these players are allowed to come from further afield then 10 miles to be classed as a home developed player for the club; At Leicester for example, all of the Tuilagis were brought up by Tigers and are considered their academy products. At the same time however, they won't religiously stick to bringing in local players just because they're local; These teams want to win and will bring in who they feel are the best for the club in the long term. That said, it's still rare for a club to have less the 75% home grown talent on board... Not bad considering how densely packed in those 12 top flight clubs are in England.

- Clubs in the NH are CLUBS. Fans buy THEIR shirts, sing THEIR songs, cheer THEIR players and RAVENOUSLY SUPPORT THEIR CLUB. Teams in the SH are NOT clubs. In the SH, people go to watch some rugby and don't really give a toss until a final bandwagon or the international tests come along. The gulf in the ethos is huge.

But then again, I expect nobody south of the equator will take on board any of that lot and still harp on rubbish about NH club rugby as if they have the first f***ing clue what they're talking about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 21 2009, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- Clubs in the Premiership have to adhere to what is known as a "wage cap", a set figure of approx £3m which limits the total salary of all a clubs playing staff members, superstar internationals right through to 16 year old academy products. The Magners League and Top 14 have similar systems in place based on turnover meaning NO CLUB CAN SIMPLY BUY EVERY PLAYER IN THE WORLD nor monopolise the league structure. Unless the players were willing to move halfway around the world and only get paid £25,000 P/A for the privilege. Some of the clubs may be minted, but the league does not allow them to pay massive wages willy-nilly.

- Clubs in the Northern Hemisphere all have huge development academies and are producing players year after year. However, these players are allowed to come from further afield then 10 miles to be classed as a home developed player for the club; At Leicester for example, all of the Tuilagis were brought up by Tigers and are considered their academy products. At the same time however, they won't religiously stick to bringing in local players just because they're local; These teams want to win and will bring in who they feel are the best for the club in the long term. That said, it's still rare for a club to have less the 75% home grown talent on board... Not bad considering how densely packed in those 12 top flight clubs are in England.[/b]

Yes, well that's just dandy but that 75% is a percentage taken from the whole squad. Out of purely the regular starting 22, that figure would drop significantly (eg. Leicester Tigers, London Irish,. Also, the players signed up from overseas are usually very good players that are likely to leave huge holes in the teams that they leave.

- Clubs in the NH are CLUBS. Fans buy the shirts, sing THEIR songs, cheer THEIR players and SUPPORT THEIR CLUB. Teams in the SH are NOT clubs. In the SH, people go to watch some rugby and don't really give a toss until a final or the international tests come along. The gulf in the ethos is huge.[/b]

Have you been to any games down here, have you been at kings park for a Sharks game? Obviously not so don't insult supporters with comments like that.

But then again, I expect nobody south of the equator will take on board any of that lot and still harp on rubbish about NH club rugby as if they have the first f***ing clue what they're talking about.[/b]

And YOU still don't get that this is not a misguided rant about nothing. You don't understand that most people down here still care about the actual health of their region's rugby and its ability to produce quality players. Rugby, as the last major sport to go professional, developed an intense ethos and a sense of "morality" in its sharp contrast to the money driven sport of football/soccer. The whorring of players between clubs is something wholly detestable. The idea that loyalty can be bought is to me, disgusting.

Yes I understand that these are businesses and that there are profit margins at the end of the day. Yes I understand that a competitive edge is often only gained with the dolling out of money for an import. But that's not the point of sport!. It's not a game of "whoever has the most f****** money wins. Sport and rugby especially, was and should still be treated with respect, and the European clubs are currently showing f**k all respect for their SH counterparts.

This is what you don't understand about most supporters here, most of us would not support our respective teams if they filled the key positions with foreigners with no link to the region or even the country whatsoever.

If the Sharks magically turned into a business driven club overnight, I would never support them again. I would feel like quite a *******, if, at the end of the season, my team had won the tournament, largely because of some new imports in the team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 20 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- Clubs in the NH are CLUBS. Fans buy THEIR shirts, sing THEIR songs, cheer THEIR players and RAVENOUSLY SUPPORT THEIR CLUB. Teams in the SH are NOT clubs. In the SH, people go to watch some rugby and don't really give a toss until a final bandwagon or the international tests come along. The gulf in the ethos is huge.[/b]

This is ridiculous. Have a look at the signatures of both Intercept King and Steve-o and tell me they only care about finals and Internationals. Some of the Reds fans on here are so passionate, they don't give a toss about anyone or any proper reasoning behind anything other than their team. Have you even been here before? If you take a drive through Pretoria on a day that the bulls are playing, you will see every (and i mean EVERY) car have a Bulls flag out the window. Every Pub will be blasting their teams song, and every person has a Bulls jersey on. They are in the semi final this weekend, and the game was completely sold out within hours (due to all the campers who stayed out in the cold all night to buy tickets once they became available.)

Seriously dude, this is one of the stupidest things you have said. South Africans are one of, if not THE MOST passionate supporters of club and country in the world. The Springbok is our biggest brand, and more rugby shirts get sold in a year than any other form of clothing in the country.

And yes, they are not our clubs, they are our TEAMS. They play for us, the fans! So seriously stop talking :%#%#:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ May 20 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The idea that loyalty can be bought is to me, disgusting.[/b]

So speak to your players about leaving at the first sniff of some money?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ May 20 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sport and rugby especially, was and should still be treated with respect, and the European clubs are currently showing f**k all respect for their SH counterparts[/b]

By acknowledging the ability of their players and paying large sums to lure them away?

You also seem to be ignoring the positive benefits on OUR regions by experiencing these players to mentor and educate our home grown talent. It is not an attempt to destroy SH rugby, it's an acknowledgement of how much we can benefit from an import of ideas and ability. I'm proud of you South Africans for taking a moral stand on this though and refusing to import... http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry396789

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 20 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ May 20 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm proud of you South Africans for taking a moral stand on this though and refusing to import... http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry396789[/b]

Dude you can't compare it and you know it. If it annoys us, then let it be. Gad. <_<
[/b][/quote]

Admittedly slightly petulant of me to point it out, but if ANY teams can do it, they will. This isn't the sole preserve of 'greedy' NH clubs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ May 20 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Admittedly slightly petulant of me to point it out, but if ANY teams can do it, they will. This isn't the sole preserve of 'greedy' NH clubs.[/b]

I know they would. We are just sour seeing our best players move off. Geez, i honestly don't give the slightest **** about the quality of NH rugby, or the values that are there. All i know, is that our rugby is shittier if half of our stars bugger off. That, annoys the **** out of me, and that's why i was having a rant.

This is what you don't understand about most supporters here, most of us would not support our respective teams if they filled the key positions with foreigners with no link to the region or even the country whatsoever.[/b]

Good support that, a wonderful variation on being fair weather fans . Do you all also stop attending when they're not winning?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 20 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And yes, they are not our clubs, they are our TEAMS. They play for us, the fans! So seriously stop talking :%#%#:[/b]

Can't you understand difference? You follow <strike>franchi</strike> teams, we become members of clubs.

Wow, so much to reply to so little time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 20 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 20 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't you understand difference? You follow <strike>franchi</strike> teams, we become members of clubs.[/b]

Yeah yeah i get it.
[/b][/quote]

Thing is I dont think he does get it. The whole system in SA is different to England-land.

Here school rugby is big, basically the grassroots of rugby. What happens then is that the schools all over the country get slip up into regions.

I'll give an example of my region and what is typically the way up. Every year coaches from schools pick their best players and send them to regional trials. They make "miss-match" teams of these players and check for various qualities. There are 3 trials and each trial less & less are picked for the next. Eventually you make your regional colours. You then play other regions, mainly from your province, in friendlies/development games.

After that you go to provincial trials. Now a province like Natal has some 9 million people in it so making your provincial colours is like getting capped for Wales. It's pretty big but not so much. From there you go to Craven Week which is where all the provinces age group teams play each other. It starts at u/13 level through to u/19 level. A huge majority of Springbok players come through this system. Playing in Craven Week is pretty big. Like getting capped for Scotland, sorta. And then from there they selected SA Schools teams. After you finished school and got signed by a provincial Union and play in the u/20 Currie Cup teams, you're in contention for the Baby Boks (nowdays, the u/20's). Some like Frans Steyn and Robert Ebersohn go straight from Craven Week to full out Currie Cup.

So basically from when your little you dream of playing for Natal, or your Province, and of course the Boks. Not a local club. Well that's the norm. Club rugby is WAY less competitive than school rugby. You can get Provincial colours for club rugby from u/13 level but it's definitely not main stream.

Other than Provincial Unions most, 99.9%, of clubs are amatuer or on the rare occasion semi pro. It's a much different system down here in SA. The big rugby schools (Paul Roos, Grey Bloem, Affies, Jeppes, etc) get their games televised. Jake White for instance came through this system as well as he started his coaching at Jeppes Boys Highschool.

It's a good system imo because in the end SARU guides whats going on. All the Provincial Unions answer to them although they're not controlled by them per se. But the nation Union doesn't need to plead with and please some tycoon for players. It's a very all conclusive system.

Now that that's out of the way you can tell us some more about how not-so-good our players are, who can't tackle eventhough SA only conceded 1 try in 3 Test, where England conceded 3 tries in 1 half against us...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 20 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now that that's out of the way you can tell us some more about how not-so-good our players are, who can't tackle eventhough SA only conceded 1 try in 3 Test, where England conceded 3 tries in 1 half against us...[/b]

Simple. England players are selected based on who their friends are and the whims of the RFU Blazers, but not on their skill levels. Why the f*** else would anyone put Jamie Noon, Harry Ellis or Lee Mears in an international shirt?

England are crap because they select those whom their faces fit, not because the club system doesn't produce top quality youngsters.

The shitty defence I refer to comes from watching Super 14 every Saturday morning in a hungover state. Tahs v Lions this past week being a case point.

This arguement is way too old...there's already countless threads about 'NH stealing SH player'(even though they're actually paying for them). It happens in any sport, be it Rugby, Football, Cricket or whatever, clubs will use the funds they have to buy the best players available. Some people have said the NH clubs aren't 'respecting' the SH clubs, which tbh, it's a load of crap. That logic is saying that clubs shouldn't be able to try and sign players form other clubs because it's 'not fair' on the other club. It's the players choice, if he wants to go North and play for a rich English/French/Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Italian club, then so be it, he can do what he wants.
I'm not saying I want Rugby to turn into Football, with teams full of foreign players, but there should be nothing wrong with SH players wanting to play and earn money up north. I'm glad that the Welsh regions have a limit on the amount of foreign player that can be played (8 I think) because it makes sure that local players can come through too. For example the Cardiff Blues wouldn't be the same team without the likes of Ben Blair, Paul ***o and Xavier Rush, but they wouldn't be the same without new and existing Welsh players too, players like Tom Shanklin, Leigh Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts.

Hmm interesting that after that post you commented on that. Blaming the "system" eh? How 'SH fan' like of you!

You might criticize SH players but aren't a few SH players really helping out your beloved Northampton? That kiwi Reihana appears to be a living legend while I hear ex-Bulls player Juandre Kruger is also featuring prominently in the team nowdays. Big fella that Kruger guy. I saw him when I was at the Currie Cup semi-final of the Bulls vs Cheetahs, one of the biggest human beings I've ever seen.

BTW on the passionless SH comps, the Currie Cup was founded in 1889, the oldest provincial comp in the world. Start listing events that happened after that to realise how old it is. First World War, the automobile, English built concentration camps in SA, hell we weren't even a proper country back then.

Thats a **** load of history and tradition to write off as passionless. Foolish comment. And yes Currie Cup team aka provincial Unions do have a lot in common with S14 teams, they're basically one entity with players having different contracts from either comp.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 20 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BTW on the passionless SH comps, the Currie Cup was founded in 1889, the oldest provincial comp in the world. Start listing events that happened after that to realise how old it is. First World War, the automobile, English built concentration camps in SA, hell we weren't even a proper country back then.[/b]
If you want a history lesson, who invented the sport in the first place?

And, for general trivia, who won the first international? You'll be surprised!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 21 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would eat poo for the next 2 years if i was offered the same amount of money as Franc Steyn. Point is, the clubs over there are so loaded, that they are the ones in control.[/b]
I don't think they're loaded - they are probably in huge debt. Of course, the RFUs in each country funnel money to the clubs/regions, and France have their municipalities. But I don't think that spend on salaries and transfers can continue at the present level, especially from the French.

The soccer premiership in England is in heaps of trouble with debt. EUFA calling for salary caps. Southampton FC just went bust. That's not going to end well.

Anyone got a link to rugby clubs and debt? I'm sure it's going to end unhappily, so the boys might be back home sooner than you think.

I'm just going to flip-flop back to my original position here and say:

BOOO-HOOO!

Just to annoy you guys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 20 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmm interesting that after that post you commented on that. Blaming the "system" eh? How 'SH fan' like of you!

You might criticize SH players but aren't a few SH players really helping out your beloved Northampton? That kiwi Reihana appears to be a living legend while I hear ex-Bulls player Juandre Kruger is also featuring prominently in the team nowdays. Big fella that Kruger guy. I saw him when I was at the Currie Cup semi-final of the Bulls vs Cheetahs, one of the biggest human beings I've ever seen.

BTW on the passionless SH comps, the Currie Cup was founded in 1889, the oldest provincial comp in the world. Start listing events that happened after that to realise how old it is. First World War, the automobile, English built concentration camps in SA, hell we weren't even a proper country back then.

Thats a **** load of history and tradition to write off as passionless. Foolish comment. And yes Currie Cup team aka provincial Unions do have a lot in common with S14 teams, they're basically one entity with players having different contracts from either comp.[/b]

Right, there's 6 different tangents going off in one there. I'll ignore the politics comment (because it was completely pointless) and reply to your Northampton-related comment.

Reihana - Awesome player, legend in his own lunchtime. Guess what, I'm also a huge fan of Carlos Spencer and Mark Robinson. So f***in' what? I said that in the Super 14 they can't tackle for **** (case point, Tahs v Lions). I never said anything like "ALL SUPA 14 PAYAZ AR ****!!1!LOL". Why would I say anything like that?

Rugby is a team sport, and IMO NH clubs are better at the team game then SH provinces.

As for Freddie, he decided he wanted out of the Bulls when he wasn't getting any game time behind Matfield and Botha. Not an easy pair to overcome. So he moved up here and he's been bloody brilliant. But then again, he ain't been a patch on local lad, 19 year old Courtney Lawes who's been a revelation of epic proportion.

So wile were on the subject, let's compare the development numbers vs academy numbers in the regular starting lineup for this past season; Murray, Smith, Kruger, Grey, Foden, Dickson, Reihana & Downey are not academy products... Hartley, Lawes, Easter, Hopley, Diggin, Ansbro, Clarke, Starling, Ashton & Myler are from the academy. And counting all of those, only Kruger and Reihana aren't qualified to play for one of the home nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 20 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 20 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW on the passionless SH comps, the Currie Cup was founded in 1889, the oldest provincial comp in the world. Start listing events that happened after that to realise how old it is. First World War, the automobile, English built concentration camps in SA, hell we weren't even a proper country back then.[/b]
If you want a history lesson, who invented the sport in the first place?

And, for general trivia, who won the first international? You'll be surprised!
[/b][/quote]

And that has what to do with anything?

But I'll play along anyway... Ok so rugby was "invented" in England, Warwickshire to be exact. So Warwickshire Rugby Football Union and it's fans are the most prestigious & most passionate in the history (it started there right, YEAH!) of the sport. Always have, always will be, forever and ever. Amen.

Latest posts