• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tom Croft's 60m try.

P

Prestwick

Sorry, I haven't got flash installed on Firefox right now so I'll just post the RugbyDump link:

Click here for Croft's 60m try in the Churchill Cup final.

I was wondering what you all made of it? The guy is meant to be a lock/loose forward and yet outran most of the NZ Maori in a 60m sprint, that doesn't quite compute in my head so I was wanting to get some expert opinions from you guys so I could make some sense of it.

Well quite clearly he is just very fast for his position :). I myself were quite surprised at the speed shown but I guess some people are faster than others. If you had two people identical in height, age, muscle/fat mass, medical condition and no injuries at all, you'll find that one will be faster than the other. It's just the way it works I guess.

I think you'll find that video is actually fake, because as we've been told time and again, there aren't any fast players in English rugby.

Sorry to disappoint.

The NZ Maori team they sent over was just made of bouncers at the local night clubs - All the Decent Players were snapped by the All Blacks and the Junior All Blacks.

The NZ Maori team they sent over was just made of bouncers at the local night clubs - All the Decent Players were snapped by the All Blacks and the Junior All Blacks. [/b]

Here come the excuses...

<div class='quotemain'> The NZ Maori team they sent over was just made of bouncers at the local night clubs - All the Decent Players were snapped by the All Blacks and the Junior All Blacks. [/b]

Here come the excuses...
[/b][/quote]
Well there is an element of truth in there...50 of NZ's best players were tied up with either the ABs or JABs.

well liam messam has the pace to beat many wingers. evident in this yr's S14

i suppose croft has an extremly large stride as well

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> The NZ Maori team they sent over was just made of bouncers at the local night clubs - All the Decent Players were snapped by the All Blacks and the Junior All Blacks. [/b]

Here come the excuses...
[/b][/quote]
Well there is an element of truth in there...50 of NZ's best players were tied up with either the ABs or JABs.
[/b][/quote]

Yes but surely they'd have enough players to send out there to out run a damn lock?!

This still doesn't compute in my head...does not compute...doesnot compute! *head explodes*

We must also not forget that Fijian lock forward Iferemi Rawaqa did the same against Wales just 2 years ago.

Must you be reminded also of a Wobbly prop forward by the name of Greg Holmes.

Haha yeah I remember that amazing run way try by Greg Holmes. It made props all over the world rejoice!

Yes i know of alot of fijian locks who will surley out run alot of back's...There are a few fowards at wesley collage (nz rugby factory) at the moment who are in the 11 second bracket

Jonah was a number 8 initially then they groomed as a Winger.

Eric Rush was a flanker, but played for the All Blacks as a winger.

It's not really that unusual ...

[/b]

Was talking to Kevin Putt in the weekend he told me 3 school boy's from Wesley Collage are playing for the Countie's Top side this weekend. Player's are getting younger as the years go by

I think it's quite obvious that the NZers just don't have any pace.
It's the foreigners they bring in that adds speed to the team.

<div class='quotemain'> Jonah was a number 8 initially then they groomed as a Winger.

[/b]
Was talking to Kevin Putt in the weekend he told me 3 school boy's from Wesley Collage are playing for the Countie's Top side this weekend. Player's are getting younger as the years go by
[/b][/quote]

Actually one of the schoolboy is from Manurewa High, not Wesley.

[/b]

Yeah, like that Rico Gear who was born on the East Coast of New Zealand.

You Welsh Fans should know Rico Gear by now, Shane Williams does.

:lol:

You guys can never resist.
Don't worry, neither can.

Oh yeah, don't speak ill of Shane again, otherwise... :ranting:

How bout Eaton mowing down an Irish back? That was class..

Croft was a sub wasn't he? Guess he was a lot more fresh than the other guys, and he was hanging out at the wing lolz..

Also, have a look at the people chasing, none were wingers. Speed isn't really something we go for when choosing our midfield.. Guys like Conrad Smith and Aaron Mauger.. Looking at the youtube video it looked like Rua Tipoki?
Looks like he took the wrong line when chasing Croft. He didn't expect Croft to go into second gear and that fooled him in his line to cut off Croft.

There are a lot of quick loosies out there.. A good example is Pierre Spies.. Apparently, he's one of the fastest men in the Springbok camp.. 2nd after Habana I heard

If you can't compute that, maybe you need to be updated? :p

[/b]

Now correct me if im wrong, but i was talking to my cousin the other day, a Fijian kiwi, and he was telling me that in NZ they try and put the fastest men as the loosies.. especially at 7. They should be even faster than wingers. And that Eric Rush was a flanker, but he was too slow so they told him to play wing.. i told him he was full of crap, but i would love to know if theres any semblance of truth in that?

Actually one of the schoolboy is from Manurewa High, not Wesley.

[/b]
Yeah that's Tim Nanai he also plays for the NZ Secondary schools touch team and holds the Manurewa High schools 100m record of 10 seconds

[/b]

Back up your comment's with some names and facts...

Latest posts