too late to start rugby ?

gutts

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Hello

I'm 24 years old "88 kg/185 cm" mixed martial artist i've been doing mma for years .. but suddenly i watched some rugby games and i really fell in love with it.. my question is am i old to start training and make transition from mma to rugby? to make it to the pro level? .. putting in mind that i have good athletic background "mma strength and conditioning"

sorry for my english mistakes and thanks in advance

I'm not sure. Where do you live? South Africa? Rugby is too competitive there, and you are too slim for South African style.

Maybe at a low level, tell the coach that you are a winger, it's the easiest position to learn. You have to gain weight, especially to play South African rugby. You need more mass, unless you have the skills of Willie le Roux, which I doubt very much

thanks for your reply i live both in Egypt and South Africa i can gain more weight from lifting for me it's not that hard can you recommend me resources about rugby strategies please ... i will put in mind your tips and thanks again :)

Well at first, find a club and start. That is the easiest way to learn stategies for both playing rugby and getting your body in shape for the game. For simple game strategies it helps me a lot to watch full games on Youtube, where are lots of them. But the most important part is to learn the game by training and playing. There you can see how talented you are.

Hello

I'm 24 years old "88 kg/185 cm" mixed martial artist i've been doing mma for years .. but suddenly i watched some rugby games and i really fell in love with it.. my question is am i old to start training and make transition from mma to rugby? to make it to the pro level? .. putting in mind that i have good athletic background "mma strength and conditioning"

sorry for my english mistakes and thanks in advance

Are you too old to make it to pro level? Probably. Are you too old to start rugby? Heck no. One of my best friends didn't start until he was about 23, after playing Canadian football in university and he's turned into one of the best players I've ever played with.

Rugby is such a rewarding sport; physically, mentally and socially and I always encourage people to pick it up. I've convinced a few of my other friends (former football, soccer and hockey players) to give club rugby a try after their varsity years were behind them and they all came to love the game even if they never became great players.

Last edited:

Latest posts