• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Stadiums in the world

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 6 2009, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you know what the criteria were? Millenium stadium is a magnificent monument to Engineering and its atmosphere is probably amazing when the Welsh start singing with beers in hands, but doesn't the grass die in the corners where the sun never reaches?[/b]

It's not just the corners; the whole pitch cuts up and has been shite for many a year.
They keep bringing in new turf, but you watch, it'll end up trashed once again this weekend after the argentina game.

The Millenium stadium pitch has acually been pretty good for the last couple of years. It deffinately hasn't been good this Autumn though, fly infestation apparently! The best pitches seem to be the half artificial ones like the Liberty stadium's, considering the amout that pitch get's used between the Swans and the Ospreys, it's always practically perfect.

Pretty good?
Come 6N or AIs i always see the Stadium pitch being shite, personally.
Maybe i'm overly critical...then again, why would i give a **** about grass?
Hmmm...this discussion is taking a low turn.

It all comes down to the how good the groundsman is, is it seeded or turfed and if it gets enough sun. A good example is Franklins Gardens where the pitch always looks like a bowels green thanks entirely to Piggy Powell doing such a good job. Conversely Kingsholm has brilliant light but always a dire pitch.

The Millenium Stadium is a superb venue, but the insistence on keeping the roof shut at all times means the pitch cannot keep itself healthy by constantly being in the shade. And of course, laid turf isn't nearly as sturdy compared to old fashioned grown grass so it cuts up even more. Therein a vicious circle.

Maybe they should do that trick they used at the Sapporo Dome in Japan and wheel the pitch outside to sun it on non match days...
Sapporo_Dome_moving_pitchjpg.jpg

Sounds like a cheap procedure. ;)

But whenever you walk past the Millennium stadium, you only see those big UV orange lights sitting all over the field, glowing on the grass...whilst the roof stays closed. Ahem.

Latest posts