• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 2014/15 Season

Steyn10, welcome to the forum. And I was doing the XV I believe Toulouse will play, not the one I would personally prefer.

It's what I do too!
You can't be serious about Matanavou! He played maybe 4 matchs this year! He wasn't good! He is bigger ("fat") now...
The other problem is with the fly-half!
Have you seen Toulouse with and without Luke? It's not the same! With Luke at Ernest Wallon Toulouse win and score a lot of tries! Guy Noves need him!
And I think that, Tolofua will play a little bit more in hooker but we will see ;)

McAlister was always far better at 12 than 10. With Flood coming in they should move him back there.

It's a possibility but i thinkg that now Luke is better at 10! I watch all the match and he plays only 10 this year and he is very talented!
We need him in 10!
And top 14 and European Cup Flood can play a little bit in 10 too ;)

I'm not saying he's a bad 10, but maybe he was just better than the other options.
With flood coming in you've got an intentional class 10, so you can have McAlister back at his favoured 12. I reckon him and Flood would play really well off of each other.

I'm not saying he's a bad 10, but maybe he was just better than the other options.
With flood coming in you've got an intentional class 10, so you can have McAlister back at his favoured 12. I reckon him and Flood would play really well off of each other.

See I agree with this no doubt Macalister is a very good 10, but he is a better 12.

I don't see the point in playing a excellent 12 as a very good 10, instead of playing a excellent 10 in flood.

But then I don't know how the backs played this season, from the games I saw they weren't that impressive in the big games (Just my view), although your pack has gone downhill.

Can anybody help me with what a potential/probable RM92 matchday squad would look like? If I were to hazard a guess;

1 EB Arous
2 Dimitri Szarzewski
3 Brian Mujati (RSA)
4 Luke Charteris (WAL)
5 Juandre Kruger (RSA)
6 Dan Lydiate (WAL)
7 Wenceslas Lauret - I love his name!
8 Bernard le Roux
9 Mike Philips (WAL)
10 Jonny Sexton (IRE)
11 ?
12 Jamie Roberts (WAL)
13 Casey Laulala (NZL)
14 ?
15 JM Hernandez (ARG)

16 Virgile Lacombe
17 Luc Ducalcon
18 Francois van der Merwe (RSA)
19 Antonie Claassen
20 Maxime Machenaud
21 Johan Goosen (RSA)
22 ?
23 Julian Brugnaut

In particular the wings?- I can't split them at all? Also there are three Georgian props and I just don't know who they are, how one pronounces their names and where they'd fit in? Strong SA and Welsh flavor particularly since Le Roux and Claassen originate from SA as well- they should get in Warren Gatland to coach LOL.

Last edited:
See I agree with this no doubt Macalister is a very good 10, but he is a better 12.

I don't see the point in playing a excellent 12 as a very good 10, instead of playing a excellent 10 in flood.

But then I don't know how the backs played this season, from the games I saw they weren't that impressive in the big games (Just my view), although your pack has gone downhill.

Totally agree and, further reason, Flood is by far a more reliable kicker than McAllister has ever been!

oh what, because McAlister is an unintentional class 10 ?!!!! HUH ??!!!!!

It's what I do too!
You can't be serious about Matanavou! He played maybe 4 matchs this year! He wasn't good! He is bigger ("fat") now...
The other problem is with the fly-half!
Have you seen Toulouse with and without Luke? It's not the same! With Luke at Ernest Wallon Toulouse win and score a lot of tries! Guy Noves need him!
And I think that, Tolofua will play a little bit more in hooker but we will see ;)

They might play Clerc there, but they won't (I hope) play Médard, and Palisson will be good off the bench but I don't think they'll start him. With Hosea Gear gone, they'll want some similar athleticism on the wing, and a Fijian winger like Matanavou could be a huge weapon. Counting on him being available, healthy and on form of course.

Tolofua still is highly unreliable in a few regards, notably the lineout throw he's constantly bashed for. They brought in an ex-All Black veteran in Corey Flynn for his experience, and will start him I'd bet.

Finally, I don't think they brought in Flood, who's still "young" btw at 28, a guy who played int'l just recently and was in the best English club, with an excellent penalty boot to sit him down on the bench all season.
Yes I've seen the change in attacking shape when McAlister was out, but he can still create from the center position and be a starter there. Doussain can play flyhalf at times.

but their importance is only very relative.

The media are telling you otherwise and you're buying it. The media circus around the national team is orchestrated by the FFR goons. They have Media relation officer paid to sell their BS in order to sell the game and support FFR.In real fact FFR does very little to promote the game inside the country, never mind outside. It's all left to the clubs to do it.

Toulon winning back to back Heineken Cups do far more to promote the game.

Toulouse and Clermont playing a game in Hong Kong last year has had far more impact to promote French rugby abroad and attract potential investors from Asia than anything the national side has done.
The WC only comes back every 4 years. The 6N accounts for a mere 5 games. That's 8 games in total if we scrap the June tests which we should.

You cannot seriously argue that our entire domestic league should be organised to suit those 8 games. That is the DAFEST thing I've ever heard.

None of the Top 14 clubs that I know of have agreed to nor signed the 30 Elite Group scheme.

You've got to stop listening to the media BS in this country about the national side, it's just BLAHBLAH and FFR attempt to regain some control over the professional game as clubs slowly take over.

I'm not buying what the media are saying, where does that come from ? And so you're basically, as my suspicions were drawing to, saying international Rugby shouldn't exist, at least for France. But I'm not interested in discussing this with you tbh because it's the same old record each time. You keep insinuating club is really all that matters and they should make no effort or feel any concern about the national team, and you keep hinting at the int'l game disappearing entirely being a good thing, but then you don't really answer clearly...you might as well say it as you really feel it, because this is just futile.

And what's this about promotion, playing a Rugby World Cup and beating the All-Blacks and making the final 1/2 times isn't promotion ? I don't even want to start a discussion about promotion because I'm really not into the economic/marketing/business side of sports, but how does that even come into play here ? One topic at a time. And Toulon winning the H Cup is more promotion than the xv de France winning a 6N ***le or a RWC ??

Please state your conclusion once and for all and I'll reply to that.
My conclusion, personally, is clear: find a way for club and test Rugby to be cohabitant as smoothly as the English. Club Rugby I find is way too unimportant in the SH, and way too uncompetitive in the Celtic league. But it's just about right the way the English do it: they may not have as good teams as we do, but if we could keep our capital, class, but still play to the standards we should at test level, we would be right in the norm. Right in the "normal".

I'm not buying what the media are saying, where does that come from ? And so you're basically, as my suspicions were drawing to, saying international Rugby shouldn't exist, at least for France. But I'm not interested in discussing this with you tbh because it's the same old record each time. You keep insinuating club is really all that matters and they should make no effort or feel any concern about the national team, and you keep hinting at the int'l game disappearing entirely being a good thing, but then you don't really answer clearly...you might as well say it as you really feel it, because this is just futile.

ah ah ah your crack me up BE sometimes. Never said nor implied Intl rugby shouldn't exist. You're the one saying that.

And yes. You're a bit gullible. The 30 Elite Group they've been selling to the media is one case in point. You swallowed it all. I've explained in previous posts why it's a load of BS. I'm not repeating.

Please state your conclusion once and for all and I'll reply to that.
My conclusion, personally, is clear: find a way for club and test Rugby to be cohabitant as smoothly as the English. Club Rugby I find is way too unimportant in the SH, and way too uncompetitive in the Celtic league. But it's just about right the way the English do it: they may not have as good teams as we do, but if we could keep our capital, class, but still play to the standards we should at test level, we would be right in the norm. Right in the "normal".

I was just putting back Intl rugby where it belongs. It's only 11 games vs 30. And you can see where the priorities here. Get involved with a Top 14 and you will see for yourself.

No need to conclude on anything here. This is an going debate. If anything, it's going to start all over again, with the new season starting. The debate will kick off again with clubs vs Fed again. They don't need me to start it or finish it.

There is no smooth cohabitation possible in our rugby because the people in charge (FFR & LNR) are totally incompetent. The June tests have just served you another reminder. Hellooo

If anyone is in the Montpellier area on Friday July 25th we are are doing a double header Lyon v Oyonnax 18.00 ko then Montpellier v Saracens 20.45 ko. tickets are 19€ each for adults and 12€ for the little people and pack of 4 Adult tickets 59€ (bargain) and can be purchaseed on our site montpellier-rugby.com then click on, Billeterie...
COULD BE A GOOD EVENING OF PRE SEASON RUGBY BUY GET ONE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we serve cold beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we may even have our 2 ex players Jim Hamilton Chippie Figallo playing against us that could also be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'll be in France for sure but probably way busy with other stuff. I've yet to watch a Rugby game live but that's about to change. Would be really cool to meet someone from the forum btw, I think about it every once in a while and it would be really really cool.

I'll be in France for sure but probably way busy with other stuff. I've yet to watch a Rugby game live but that's about to change. Would be really cool to meet someone from the forum btw, I think about it every once in a while and it would be really really cool.

let me know if you want to come????

let me know if you want to come????

if there's a realistic chance, sure ! Would love to meet you gaston ! A little shiit like me can learn a lot from a gracious veteran such as yourself ! But looking at what's ahead...mmm...will be tough tough.

if there's a realistic chance, sure ! Would love to meet you gaston ! A little shiit like me can learn a lot from a gracious veteran such as yourself ! But looking at what's ahead...mmm...will be tough tough.

Thats enough of the charm now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anybody help me with what a potential/probable RM92 matchday squad would look like? If I were to hazard a guess;

1 EB Arous
2 Dimitri Szarzewski
3 Brian Mujati (RSA)
4 Luke Charteris (WAL)
5 Juandre Kruger (RSA)
6 Dan Lydiate (WAL)
7 Wenceslas Lauret - I love his name!
8 Bernard le Roux
9 Mike Philips (WAL)
10 Jonny Sexton (IRE)
11 ?
12 Jamie Roberts (WAL)
13 Casey Laulala (NZL)
14 ?
15 JM Hernandez (ARG)

16 Virgile Lacombe
17 Luc Ducalcon
18 Francois van der Merwe (RSA)
19 Antonie Claassen
20 Maxime Machenaud
21 Johan Goosen (RSA)
22 ?
23 Julian Brugnaut

In particular the wings?- I can't split them at all? Also there are three Georgian props and I just don't know who they are, how one pronounces their names and where they'd fit in? Strong SA and Welsh flavor particularly since Le Roux and Claassen originate from SA as well- they should get in Warren Gatland to coach LOL.

No problem, Stormer2010. I'm glad to help out a fan.

I don't know anything about the Georgian props either so will have to wait and see. Even if they were to flop there is depth there. Apparently though Machenaud is probably not leaving so there should be good competition for the no.9 jersey between him and Phillips. Add Sexton and Goosen and even with Wisniewski leaving the pivotal... uhm, well, pivots should have reasonable depth and quality!

Elsewhere I've seen an aptly named poster, racingmetro92, post this possible/probable line-up;

1. Brugnaut (or Peikrishvili)
2. Szarzewski
3. Ducalcon
4. Kruger
5. van der Merwe (maybe Charteris if he comes)
6. Lydiate
7. Le Roux
8. Claassen
9. Machenaud
10. Sexton (or Goosen)
11. Andreu
12. Roberts
13. Laulala (or Chavancy)
14. Imhoff
15. Dulin

No problem, Stormer2010. I'm glad to help out a fan.

I don't know anything about the Georgian props either so will have to wait and see. Even if they were to flop there is depth there. Apparently though Machenaud is probably not leaving so there should be good competition for the no.9 jersey between him and Phillips. Add Sexton and Goosen and even with Wisniewski leaving the pivotal... uhm, well, pivots should have reasonable depth and quality!

Elsewhere I've seen an aptly named poster, racingmetro92, post this possible/probable line-up;

1. Brugnaut (or Peikrishvili)
2. Szarzewski
3. Ducalcon
4. Kruger
6. Lydiate
7. Le Roux
8. Claassen
9. Machenaud
10. Sexton (or Goosen)
11. Andreu
12. Roberts
14. Imhoff
15. Dulin

Hmm, interesting, thanks so much for the feedback! I've been waiting so long!

I do have some questions though if you would be so accommodating as to consider them?;

1. Brugnaut (or Peikrishvili) - is Brugnaut not a tighthead?
2. Szarzewski
3. Ducalcon - where would you rate Mujati?
4. Kruger
6. Lydiate
7. Le Roux - Lydiate, Le Roux and Claassen all three? Sure they are all classy but would Lauret not bring better balance to the trio with his superior breakdown work?
8. Claassen
9. Machenaud - confirmed then as not leaving?
10. Sexton (or Goosen) - certainly should be Sexton. Goosen has shown great promise, yes but Sexton has actually already delivered at this stage
11. Andreu
12. Roberts
14. Imhoff
15. Dulin - totally forgot about him coming in!!!! Certainly JMH is a class player and his assured boot helped beat out Toulouse but he isn't the attacking force he once was and has those off days. Dulin coming in pointing towards a change in mindset and/or game plan would you say?

man, fk you and your shiitty Racing Metro stormer !!! Nobody gives a shiit !! :lol: +1

I remember seeing that post but being way busy with other activity in the Top 14 threads at the time and gave myself a pass...that's a lot of info to collect if you want to be really accurate. I usually just wait for a season to start to see the new faces, the rotation and starting XV's they'll rock and get used to that as the season progresses...
For e.g. I forgot for, like, seriously the 6th time that Dulin was traded there. In my head Dulin's still in Castres !

Brugnaut is a LH btw. And man, looking at that XV you've assembled, if these guys decide casually one lovely afternoon to just CLICK, they'll seriously fk shiit up. Just look at those freaking names all put together !

I think they're too loaded though, and in a bad way. It's great to have even your substitutions being class players, but Racing are the type to waste time for guys. Lauret is an int'l class fetching/tackling flanker and should be a starter on any Top 14 team. And if they decide not to even start Chavancy at center, what a fkn waste. And I'm glad as hell they got rid of Ben Fall, that guy was just decomposing over there...

Latest posts