• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 4

Don't forget Michalak's last time ruling the world, it wasn't so long ago. November 2012. I know things have changed, and I of course don't want him for France, but just sayin..

He had one good game agst Aus in the AI. And the media as they're prone to do put him straight on a pedestal. You shouldn't believe everything you read Big E :).

fk that was annoying to watch when it happened...Toulouse are mediocre the whole match, okay in parts...and they work to be tied with less than 10min to go and this just happens, like it was nothing. All of a sudden a whole 15-man defense you can beat by running straight...so fkng frustrating. Fickou is too tall, he'll look clumsy, slow to react and easy to overtake for a low-center of gravity winger like Masilevu. I hope to never see Fickou on the wing again, that match was enough of an experiment.

Oh Peuchère .... enough negativity :huh:.

It came out of nowhere. Twas a great try all the same.

Fickou is still young and learning his trade and it will happen to him again. C'est le rugby !

He looked good during Day 1, but has had some very flat performances since, and that last one was really sub-par. I still like him and am sure he'll offer Toulouse something worthwhile.

he's started three times and two of those he played superbly, won the first game and then Toulouse demolished Castres.

Macalister started the La Rochelle game, and Flood wasn't even on the bench for that. Last weekend he didn't play well, but there are bigger issues at Toulouse than Toby Flood having a bad day.

I'd actually say 12 is a huge issue and their defence is a shambles right now.

If I was Noves I would have Fickou at 12 Fritz outside him and leave it like that. All this changing doesn't work if you lose and it can't help young Fickou's confidence.

If I was Noves I would have Fickou at 12 Fritz outside him and leave it like that. All this changing doesn't work if you lose and it can't help young Fickou's confidence.

I completely agree. Hope we've seen the last of that early season tinkering.

His best centre are Fickou Fritz McAlister. Then it's a matter of working out the combinations. His best 10 are Flood and Doussain. His best 9 are Doussain and Bezy.

He had one good game agst Aus in the AI. And the media as they're prone to do put him straight on a pedestal. You shouldn't believe everything you read Big E :).

he was *brilliant against Australia, and was on a different plateau altogether from Test 2 in Argentina til the start of 2013, also playing very well at SH for Toulon. Against Samoa he was still good, very gathered and in control, even gave us our only try of the night with his chargedown. Merci M'sieur Michalak. Who said anything about the media ? You.

I completely agree. Hope we've seen the last of that early season tinkering.

His best centre are Fickou Fritz McAlister. Then it's a matter of working out the combinations. His best 10 are Flood and Doussain. His best 9 are Doussain and Bezy.

Don't know about that. Yann David is back on form this year, and consistently. He's got loads of punch, always takes a while to put down and has tackled like a bull. Very powerful at midfield, although his problem is passing the ball. It's not that clear-cut FF, all 4 of Fickou Fritz David McAlister can be test level good atm at center.

I hope Toulouse have a rigid plan about the fly-half position, though. Flood starts, okay, but they can't play McAlister at FH and then Center, and Doussain at FH and then SH, they've got to give their players good marks, can't keep switching, that's ridiculous.

he was *brilliant against Australia, and was on a different plateau altogether from Test 2 in Argentina til the start of 2013, also playing very well at SH for Toulon. Against Samoa he was still good, very gathered and in control, even gave us our only try of the night with his chargedown. Merci M'sieur Michalak. Who said anything about the media ? You.Don't know about that. Yann David is back on form this year, and consistently. He's got loads of punch, always takes a while to put down and has tackled like a bull. Very powerful at midfield, although his problem is passing the ball. It's not that clear-cut FF, all 4 of Fickou Fritz David McAlister can be test level good atm at center.I hope Toulouse have a rigid plan about the fly-half position, though. Flood starts, okay, but they can't play McAlister at FH and then Center, and Doussain at FH and then SH, they've got to give their players good marks, can't keep switching, that's ridiculous.

I would sell McAllister........................

Don't know about that. Yann David is back on form this year, and consistently. He's got loads of punch, always takes a while to put down and has tackled like a bull. Very powerful at midfield, although his problem is passing the ball. It's not that clear-cut FF, all 4 of Fickou Fritz David McAlister can be test level good atm at center.

well I'm stating the obvious when I say they're the 3 best centres. There's only 4 of them anyway and YD is behind in the pecking order over the years. Doesn't have the technical ability of the other 3. He is a great defender albeit limited. I'd like to see him transferred next season.

I hope Toulouse have a rigid plan about the fly-half position, though. Flood starts, okay, but they can't play McAlister at FH and then Center, and Doussain at FH and then SH, they've got to give their players good marks, can't keep switching, that's ridiculous.

McAlister should not play 10. That's the point I was making. I don't want him as 10. He is not the answer as our 10. He never made the position his as everyone expected him to.
The squad like many Top 14 squads follow a rotation system. So we need 2 players per pos. So Flood and Doussain as our 10. When Flood is being rested as part of the rotation sys. Doussain comes in. He can play both position and offers a great alternative as he proved last season when McAlister got injured.

Racing Metro want a 10......

They already have a good 10 in Goosen. He could potentially be brilliant. He just needs continued game back at 10, some luck staying fit and to recapture his confidence. He needs a lot of work on his defense it has to be said but he has the rest; a good long pass, the ability to take on the line, some pace for 10 and a HUGE boot. He could learn better game management but he is still young and will get there.

The squad like many Top 14 squads follow a rotation system. So we need 2 players per pos. So Flood and Doussain as our 10. When Flood is being rested as part of the rotation sys. Doussain comes in. He can play both position and offers a great alternative as he proved last season when McAlister got injured.

oh really ?? :p
I'm saying Toulouse should've come up with a much more organized, simple and effective way of going about their rotation. McAlister and Doussain have already played Flyhalf this very season for Toulouse. As if ST needed any more trouble in the kitchen, they've got only one actual 10, with McAlister more or less having to qualify for one. Playing Doussain at 10 is nice to see how he can hold up, but he should be focusing at his age at being a SH.

Okay, I'm going on a big rant now, I feel inspired:

Toulouse should've got rid of McAlister at some point or another center, he was always a center playing as flyhalf. He always played center for the All-Blacks for e.g.; but having all of Doussain, McAlister serve as FH every once in a while, and 4 quality Centers on the roster is dysfunctional and highly unnecessary. Then they play Fickou on the wing, and what to say about playing Poitrenaud at center additionally ?

And I don't understand how Toulouse hasn't made a big move for the front row. Okay Flynn is a fantastic hooker, but Toulouse has been struggling in the scrum for too long now, or long enough: Steenkamp can still scrummage a bit but he's old, and Johnston is just a complete liability there. Worst scrum statistically last year, and they've got the same fkng props as first choices. They get Tialata, another humongous 130kg + Pac Island monster who doesn't push like he weighs.

Toulouse are behind, they're well behind. Haven't won anything in the past few years or came close to, and aren't looking to do it this year. "beware of the wounded beast" I don't think so. Toulouse give away too many int'l Frenchmen ? They give away SIX. Although that is second highest, Clermont give 7 and they're doing just fine and their relative problems certainly don't come from giving away 7 players for a handful of test matches.
Toulouse are behind, in the gameplan, recruitment, mentality, professionally. They've got the highest budget in the Top 14 and don't look half as good as Clermont or Toulon, and Montypellier, Racing, and even ugly cousins Castres have been much better these past two seasons. Paris and Grenoble have also been better as of this year and are currently higher on the podium as little as this means.

Last edited:
oh really ?? :p

I'm saying Toulouse should've come up with a much more organized, simple and effective way of going about their rotation. McAlister and Doussain have already played Flyhalf this very season for Toulouse. As if ST needed any more trouble in the kitchen, they've got only one actual 10, with McAlister more or less having to qualify for one. Playing Doussain at 10 is nice to see how he can hold up, but he should be focusing at his age at being a SH.

Can't do that I'm afraid when you've got up to 9 internationals to manage and then they throw in the 30 game limit, as if the season wasn't complicated enough. We didn't need another spanner throw in :huh:

If they could pick their internationals in the other 13 clubs, we might actually be able to concentrate on the season.

The club has spent WAY too much energy & time over the last 6 years at loggerheads with incompetent outsiders trying to run the show for us.

They've got the highest budget in the Top 14 and don't look half as good as Clermont or Toulon, and Montypellier, Racing, and even ugly cousins Castres have been much better these past two seasons. Paris and Grenoble have also been better as of this year and are currently higher on the podium as little as this means.

No problem. I'm all for it. Let them pick their internationals in those 5 clubs.

For many years Toulouse won everything, well more or less, and i personally think that things have changed in the TOP 14 considerably since, Toulouse are nowhere near where they should be, all the other clubs have actually caught up with Toulouse and some have passed them. I know that French Fan has a bee in his bonnet about the International selections and the 30 match squad i too dont agree with it all, eg (this week against Bordeaux Selponi was to play at 10 and FTD rested but Selponi got himself injured with the Espoirs!!!! So a match where FTD rests but not anymore). The budget that Toulouse have is by far bigger than everyone elses and they are going to have to use it but use it differently. For years they have signed the best young French players Maestri, David, Picamole, Fritz,Huget etc etc the list goes on and on but then of course they are selected for Internationals, but Toulouse know that anyway. you cant have your cake and eat it.....
They have started signing foreign players to a certain degree but less than most clubs, i think they have to change their ways and start planning afresh because what they have at the moment does not work. Noves has been a brilliant servant for Toulouse but now maybe its time to change, before Pelous goes to the French National team as its between him and Galthie and Pelous is respected more in Paris than Galthie. Man utd was in a similar position and still are, sometimes changes have to be radical if the glory days are going to be found quickly. It is a shame that Toulouse are in this position but i fear they have themselves to blame to a certain degree, and they can still get out of their merde probably not this season but certainly next, but there has to be changes. I would love to see Toulouse perform in Europe as they have done in the past as they will always be a team that plays exciting rugby, sometimes the drop from the highest pedestal can be a long drop down

I just watched the Toulouse la Rochelle game from round three. Quite possibly the worst game of rugby I have seen this year.

The David hit on their 13 is the best bit of the whole game.

I just watched the Toulouse la Rochelle game from round three. Quite possibly the worst game of rugby I have seen this year.

The David hit on their 13 is the best bit of the whole game.

haha, glad you caught that ! And yes Toulouse are just cruising by, little structure, just sort of hangin about...La Rochelle played well though.

For many years Toulouse won everything, well more or less, and i personally think that things have changed in the TOP 14 considerably since, Toulouse are nowhere near where they should be, all the other clubs have actually caught up with Toulouse and some have passed them. I know that French Fan has a bee in his bonnet about the International selections and the 30 match squad i too dont agree with it all, eg (this week against Bordeaux Selponi was to play at 10 and FTD rested but Selponi got himself injured with the Espoirs!!!! So a match where FTD rests but not anymore). The budget that Toulouse have is by far bigger than everyone elses and they are going to have to use it but use it differently. For years they have signed the best young French players Maestri, David, Picamole, Fritz,Huget etc etc the list goes on and on but then of course they are selected for Internationals, but Toulouse know that anyway. you cant have your cake and eat it.....
They have started signing foreign players to a certain degree but less than most clubs, i think they have to change their ways and start planning afresh because what they have at the moment does not work. Noves has been a brilliant servant for Toulouse but now maybe its time to change, before Pelous goes to the French National team as its between him and Galthie and Pelous is respected more in Paris than Galthie. Man utd was in a similar position and still are, sometimes changes have to be radical if the glory days are going to be found quickly. It is a shame that Toulouse are in this position but i fear they have themselves to blame to a certain degree, and they can still get out of their merde probably not this season but certainly next, but there has to be changes. I would love to see Toulouse perform in Europe as they have done in the past as they will always be a team that plays exciting rugby, sometimes the drop from the highest pedestal can be a long drop down

exactly. And it's always been that way anyways, Toulouse if anyone represents THE bastion of French Rugby and it's only natural they would have such a budget, such importance, and de facto necessarily, lots of the best players. It's only natural, and it's always been, that they would have a lot of their contingent serve for country. Nothing new. Nothing new at all. Again, 6N and occasional seasonal test matches have always existed, so what has changed ? Why does Novès start complaining more than usual ? Why is it only a few of the French clubs complain so much, why is it the LNR-FFR agreement occurred (as problematic as it may be) ? Why not other countries ? The intensity and weight of the Top 14. And I'm no genius as I say that.

Yes having good players limited to 30 games is an issue for a coach, but that's not the problem at the root, it's something you add to the monument of Toulouse's recent failure, just on the side as a condiment. Again, other teams manage just fine with that, look at Clermont.
I've already made my rant, but basically Toulouse is clearly unable to get with the times, on so many levels. And they really, really have to stop looking elsewhere but at themselves for their situation. I'm losing more and more respect for Novès these days, he should have the decency to admit he's failed and do something else than what he's doing: just looking at his team, the once great Toulouse, sink by implementing the same methods as the last couple of years. Stubborn, stubborn old man...

Latest posts