• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toulouse v Cardiff Blues

<div class='quotemain'>
Shanklin for the lions lol. :D
[/b]
What's great for me is how I can now gloat in the face of my arrogant family. My younger brother (11, yeh, I'm that childish :p ) told me that Shanklin is much better than Jauzion, yet Jauzion didn't even need to play well to be better than Shanklin on that day. My father also gloated that the Ospreys were already on their way to the final. It's a shame that no Welsh teams got further than the Q-F's but I can't help but laugh at them both. :lol: [/b][/quote]

Jauzion is way under rated at the moment.

Elissalde in at 10! Blues chances have just risen imo. [/b]

:cheers:

That was the best game of this quarter finals. The score is a bit harsh for Cardiff, they played very well untill the last twenty minutes... to me the difference maker was the strong mental of Toulouse, they were able to keep scoring after Heymans's yellow card and the two welsh tries, when the score was dangerously close. And like I said before the game, their pack are now very strong, this is the point that makes me think they can win the whole thing against an experienced team like Munster.

I don't think that Elissalde can be the long awaited ideal fly half for France, he's too old to begin at this position at international level, but at Toulouse he's a better solution than Courrent or Du Toit now...

At next year, Skrela :unsure:

<div class='quotemain'>Elissalde in at 10! Blues chances have just risen imo. [/b]

:cheers:

That was the best game of this quarter finals. The score is a bit harsh for Cardiff, they played very well untill the last twenty minutes... to me the difference maker was the strong mental of Toulouse, they were able to keep scoring after Heymans's yellow card and the two welsh tries, when the score was dangerously close. And like I said before the game, their pack are now very strong, this is the point that makes me think they can win the whole thing against an experienced team like Munster.

I don't think that Elissalde can be the long awaited ideal fly half for France, he's too old to begin at this position at international level, but at Toulouse he's a better solution than Courrent or Du Toit now...

At next year, Skrela :unsure:
[/b][/quote]

To me Toulouse are the best side in it this year by far. They just have to not mess it up as they look a match for the other sides. The only thing that can stop them is a real bad off day or some serious Munster heroics, but i doubt even Munster can breach the difference in class with blood and guts unless Toulouse fail to turn up.

Ellissalde has always been a 10, he used to play at 10 for La Rochelle and moved to 9 only after joining Toulouse.

He played a couple of times early this season, he also played a few times at 10 for Toulouse when Michalak was at 9 in the 2002/2003 season.

To come back to the topic, great play from Toulouse.

Fritz could be back for the semi final against London Irish, at least on the bench.

Medard is on fire and the pack, in particular Albacete, looks strong.

They will have to throw away some top 14 games, Noves already said he would have to send a B team for at least two games as there are only 3 days between the HC semi and the following top 14 encounter.

Didn't see the match, but saw the highlight on S4C's 'Y Clwb Heineken'. Seemed to me that Cardiff did well to be even anywhere near Toulouse at half time considering being 10 - 0 down in less than 10 minuites, and how bad Shanklin was playing. Shanklin is a world class player, and just like any other world class player, he had a slip of form (which is rare, because Shanklin is a very consitent player) during the biggest game in the Blues's history. But when Kunavore scored, it just seemed that Cardiff heads dropped, and despite Blair's well worked try, you could see Cardiff's fight had been knocked out of them. Clercs try after this was class, but compared to soem of the high-intesity tries Toulouse liek to score, it was a walk in.
The one thing taht this proves is - Cardiff are NOT a bad team. Nobody should listen to the critical responce from people like Adrian Hadley, who believes that Cardiff need to change 13 or 14 players. Cardiff have got a lot to work with, but they need some top class players in key position. Spice is a decent player, but he doesn't perform as well when he's up against the likes of Kelleher.
Fly Half is a problem, as much as I like Nick Robinson, as he;s a superb attacking no.10 on his day, but it's just he has a habit of being injury prone, and inconsistent (though when fit, he's had a good season this year). Dai Flannagan is a bit young to be a regular starter all season, and Nick MacLeod is a pants Fly-Half (good fullback though).
Gareth Thomas is another problem, he's a bit past his best days, and he's just not a good centre partner for Shanklin. What we need is a talented no.12, with good hands and speed. Would be worth trying to re-sign Lee Thomas from Sale.

Anyway, Toulouse were class, and were definately the better team on the day, so all I have to say is: Bon chance pour la demi-finale!

Belle victoire de Toulouse! Le plus dur commence sur la pelouse de Twickenham!

Belle victoire de Toulouse! Le plus dur commence sur la pelouse de Twickenham! [/b]

Thingimubob: I agree to a certain extent with Hadley but 12-13 is extreme!!! We do need a few, notiably a number 3, 9, 10, 12 !!!

How much I love Filise he's not really a scrummaging tighthead! Spice on his day can be good but panics alot of the time at big matches! Nick Robinson is injury proned and we look a better side with him, but credit must be given to Dai Flannagan who has stepped it up this year! For me Gareth Thomas is looking old and tired, yes he's been a great servant but I think hes to slow to play as a 12!

<div class='quotemain'> Belle victoire de Toulouse! Le plus dur commence sur la pelouse de Twickenham! [/b]

Thingimubob: I agree to a certain extent with Hadley but 12-13 is extreme!!! We do need a few, notiably a number 3, 9, 10, 12 !!!

How much I love Filise he's not really a scrummaging tighthead! Spice on his day can be good but panics alot of the time at big matches! Nick Robinson is injury proned and we look a better side with him, but credit must be given to Dai Flannagan who has stepped it up this year! For me Gareth Thomas is looking old and tired, yes he's been a great servant but I think hes to slow to play as a 12!
[/b][/quote]
Do you mean Gareth Thomas has been a great servant to Cardiff? Cos I think he`s done f***-all for Cardiff. He played his best rugby for Bridgend then left for Toulouse when he had a chance to better him self. A great servant for Wales maybe but for Cardiff he`s been average!

danny
Gareth Thomas actually played for Cardiff for a while after he played for Bridgend (or Ebbw Vale, one of the two) not sure if it was the last team he played for before he moved to Toulouse, and I think he was part of the Cardiff team that won the Welsh - Scottish League years ago. They mentioned something before Bristol v Cardiff that he played in the last HC quarter final Cardiff reached. So he has been a better servant to Cardiff than you think.

EDIT: Just found out, he moved from Bridgend to Cardiff, then back to Bridgend, then the Celtic Warriors, then Toulouse

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Belle victoire de Toulouse! Le plus dur commence sur la pelouse de Twickenham! [/b]

[/b][/quote]
Do you mean Gareth Thomas has been a great servant to Cardiff? Cos I think he`s done f***-all for Cardiff. He played his best rugby for Bridgend then left for Toulouse when he had a chance to better him self. A great servant for Wales maybe but for Cardiff he`s been average! [/b][/quote]

Before jumping at me again go and look and read up about it, I think I should no a bit more about a player who plays for Cardiff Blues than you do!

Gareth Thomas played for Bridgend before moving to Cardiff then he went back to Bridgend then to the Celtic Warriors, then he went to Tolouse and then came back to the Blues!!!

He played his best rugby towards the end of his spells at Cardiff, Celtic Warriors and during his stint at Tolouse!!!

?-1997 - Bridgend RFC
1997-2001 - Cardiff RFC
2001-2003 - Bridgend RFC
2003-2004 - Celtic Warriors
2004-2007 - Stade Toulousain
2007-present - Cardiff Blues

As you can see he spent 4 years at the Arms Park before returning to his beloved Bridgend! He played in probably one of the greatest and most underacheving Cardiff sides in their history!

So yes Gareth Thomas had been a loyal service to Cardiff and the Cardiff Blues!!!

Need I also remind you that he is also 33!!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Do you mean Gareth Thomas has been a great servant to Cardiff? Cos I think he`s done f***-all for Cardiff. He played his best rugby for Bridgend then left for Toulouse when he had a chance to better him self. A great servant for Wales maybe but for Cardiff he`s been average! [/b][/quote]

Before jumping at me again go and look and read up about it, I think I should no a bit more about a player who plays for Cardiff Blues than you do!

Gareth Thomas played for Bridgend before moving to Cardiff then he went back to Bridgend then to the Celtic Warriors, then he went to Tolouse and then came back to the Blues!!!

He played his best rugby towards the end of his spells at Cardiff, Celtic Warriors and during his stint at Tolouse!!!

?-1997 - Bridgend RFC
1997-2001 - Cardiff RFC
2001-2003 - Bridgend RFC

As you can see he spent 4 years at the Arms Park before returning to his beloved Bridgend! He played in probably one of the greatest and most underacheving Cardiff sides in their history!

So yes Gareth Thomas had been a loyal service to Cardiff and the Cardiff Blues!!!

[/b][/quote]
I`m not saying he hasnt played well for Cardiff in spells he has, but most of his rugby was played at Bridgend and his spell at Toulouse was short yet successful. Three and a half years at cardiff doesnt make him a great servant.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

?-1997 - Bridgend RFC
1997-2001 - Cardiff RFC
2001-2003 - Bridgend RFC

[/b][/quote]
I`m not saying he hasnt played well for Cardiff in spells he has, but most of his rugby was played at Bridgend and his spell at Toulouse was short yet successful. Three and a half years at cardiff doesnt make him a great servant. [/b][/quote]

Hes spent more than 3 and a half years at the club!!! He joined Cardiff before the start of the 1997 - 1998 season and left after the 2001 season had ended! He has spent roughly and almost over 5 years at the club.

Alfie is a great servant because of his off the field ability! Alfie is know to get involved in the community side of the Cardiff Blues game e.g. coaching and attending various things for the community!

For that he is a great servant to the club!

[/b][/quote]

?-1997 - Bridgend RFC
1997-2001 - Cardiff RFC
2001-2003 - Bridgend RFC

[/b][/quote]
I`m not saying he hasnt played well for Cardiff in spells he has, but most of his rugby was played at Bridgend and his spell at Toulouse was short yet successful. Three and a half years at cardiff doesnt make him a great servant. [/b][/quote]

Hes spent more than 3 and a half years at the club!!! He joined Cardiff before the start of the 1997 - 1998 season and left after the 2001 season had ended! He has spent roughly and almost over 5 years at the club.

Alfie is a great servant because of his off the field ability! Alfie is know to get involved in the community side of the Cardiff Blues game e.g. coaching and attending various things for the community!

[/b][/quote]
Im not knocking him I just think he`s at Cardiff cos its a good earner.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

?-1997 - Bridgend RFC
1997-2001 - Cardiff RFC
2001-2003 - Bridgend RFC

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Im not knocking him I just think he`s at Cardiff cos its a good earner. [/b][/quote]

Probably! Would not doubt that for a second!

Unfortunatly that is the name of the game in the pro era. I can name literally the whole squad at my club who are there for the same reason. Thats why it is so good to have local talent in your team, you feel a certain bond with them and you know that they support the club as well (not Ryan Lamb though-he`s a tosser).

Latest posts